Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else have this problem.

    1. Goto to the upper middle/right corner on the phone where the battery icon is.
    2. Touch the battery icon with your stylus to attempt to pull up the % available battery life.
    3. Nothing is displayed no matter what you do.

    I have had my Treo since the start of the week, Thursday night when I got home from work I set the 700 on the table and went to bed. The next morning I woke up the phone was dead would not power up. I was forced to pull the battery and pop it back in to bring the phone back up which is when the battery icon stopped function stopped working.

    I spoke to the Tech support people at Palm and Verizion and they didn't understand why this occurred. They made a note on my account and I was able to get a new phone because they diagnosed the problem as a hardware malfunction. I had my new swapped out phone all programmed and ready to go and the lady at the Verizon store mentioned that we should test it first and we found the SAME problem on the new phone, in fact all 6 phones they had in stock had the same problem.

    The user guide (256pg. manual) on page 10, 1st tip on the left on the top states that you can see how much battery life you have left by tapping the icon. So I know I'm not crazy and that this is function of the phone.

    The Verizon tech from the store got on the phone again with Verizon tech support and apparently there was another individual on the tech staff at the Verizon Corp. that had the EXACT same problem happen along the same timeline. They were able to view the % available battery life and then after Thursday it stopped working for them also.

    Any ideas? Any software pushes done that could have caused this?

    Thanks!
  2. nrw
    nrw is offline
    nrw's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    #2  
    I was having the same problem and emailed Palm support.

    The original response was "We have not been able to duplicate the issue you are experiencing. You may be having an issue with software corruption. Please do a hard reset on your Palm Treo 700W, and then immediately try to tap on the battery icon and see if it does show the percentage display."

    Well, I did all the above and nothing happened.

    Wrote them back and got this response today: "I have just been informed that the feature that you are inquiring was removed from the final release of the Palm Treo 700W."

    I don't understand why they would remove this feature...what's the point??!?
  3. #3  
    Obviously, they made a typo error. It most certainly was not a removed feature. The battery indicator is there just fine. I would guess you have a SW corruption too and if everything else works, do the hard reset and gather your info back up.

    Eric

    Quote Originally Posted by nrw
    I was having the same problem and emailed Palm support.

    The original response was "We have not been able to duplicate the issue you are experiencing. You may be having an issue with software corruption. Please do a hard reset on your Palm Treo 700W, and then immediately try to tap on the battery icon and see if it does show the percentage display."

    Well, I did all the above and nothing happened.

    Wrote them back and got this response today: "I have just been informed that the feature that you are inquiring was removed from the final release of the Palm Treo 700W."

    I don't understand why they would remove this feature...what's the point??!?
  4. nrw
    nrw is offline
    nrw's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    #4  
    Well it doesn't work on my phone. I've already done a hard reset and it still didn't work. And I've got the email from Palm support stating that it was removed.

    What hardware/software versions are you running? (Settings > System > About > Phone)
  5. #5  
    Understand you have the email, though I think they made a typo. It would not make any sense to remove a valuable feature like a battery indicator.

    Mine is Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: 56

    I dont mess with any hacks and all of those other various things to avoid such problems.

    The only problem I've really noticed is that videos dont play at full speed.

    Eric


    Quote Originally Posted by nrw
    Well it doesn't work on my phone. I've already done a hard reset and it still didn't work. And I've got the email from Palm support stating that it was removed.

    What hardware/software versions are you running? (Settings > System > About > Phone)
  6. nrw
    nrw is offline
    nrw's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    #6  
    What software version are you running? Mine is TREO700W-1.02-VZW.

    I don't mess with hacks either...it's out of the box. And I agree that it wouldn't make sense for them to remove this feature. But I do know it does not work on my phone and a hard reset will not fix it. Add the email from Palm...
  7. #7  
    Same SW. You must have a defective phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrw
    What software version are you running? Mine is TREO700W-1.02-VZW.

    I don't mess with hacks either...it's out of the box. And I agree that it wouldn't make sense for them to remove this feature. But I do know it does not work on my phone and a hard reset will not fix it. Add the email from Palm...
  8. #8  
    Mine does the same. Touching on the battery icon does nothing. I thought this was done on purpose. No matter...if that's the ONLY malfunction, I'm not going to sweat it.

    Edit, quick question. For those who say it is working, does the date and time come up also? If I tap the time, then I get a notification balloon that displays the full date and time and there is a graphical icon that represents battery life.
  9. ucsdsig's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #9  
    Tapping the battery icon does nothing on my 700w.
  10. #10  
    You know, after this last statement and re-reading the string, it seems there is some confusion (must be on my part). Early in the discussion it appeared that your icon itself was disappearing which is what sounded off to me. So to clear up, i have a battery icon but NO, mine does not give that percentage like before. Apologies for the confusion.

    What I have noticed however is that the battery increments in smaller bites which does give a much better feel for the current status. Before they had like 3-4 little chunks and bam, gone. Now it depletes in smaller chunks which is more precise.

    Eric


    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdsig
    Tapping the battery icon does nothing on my 700w.
  11. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #11  
    You can use the voice command to find out how much battery life is left. Just ask the phone "What is the battery level?" and she will come back and tell you the percentage!
  12. plasmo's Avatar
    Posts
    442 Posts
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    #12  
    My 700w also doesn't display the battery % when the icon is clicked...I cannot remember if it stopped working or never worked at all.
    I use Resco Today plugin as a workaround to always show a graphic % which is better.
  13.    #13  
    A hard reset does not clear up the problem.

    Mine initially worked just like on my Treo 650. I could tap the battery icon on the display and I would get a % indication as to how much battery life is left.

    It's not like the phone is completely unfunctional. I just don't like the fact that it did work when I opened it up and activated it out of the box and then without warning the feature is disabled without any explanation.

    IMO it's a feature that should have been kept.

    A Palm technical support person experienced the exact same problem, worked one evening and the next morning it stopped working.

    Go figure...
  14. #14  
    in the store models of the 700w, the battery icon is present but does NOT show the % when tapped. seems like this is not functioning or was removed. stupid. i wish we got the 700p before the 700w.
  15. #15  
    I wonder how many people tried this after you wrote it.

    But speaking of which, I saw the voice command discussion. I don't see anywhere where it says how to put it in voice mode. I mean does it just accept commands without changing a setting?

    I dont want to sit here talking to a piece of hardware, looking like an *****.



    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    You can use the voice command to find out how much battery life is left. Just ask the phone "What is the battery level?" and she will come back and tell you the percentage!
  16. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    I wonder how many people tried this after you wrote it.

    But speaking of which, I saw the voice command discussion. I don't see anywhere where it says how to put it in voice mode. I mean does it just accept commands without changing a setting?

    I dont want to sit here talking to a piece of hardware, looking like an *****.
    If you assign a key (which most people assign the button on the left just below the volume keys) to voice command, it will activate when you press and hold the button. You will get a little microphone on the top of the screen and it will beep to let you know it's in that mode. Then you just speak to it.

    I know what you mean. You don't want to look like Scotty in Star Trek IV when they try to rescue the whales and he goes to a engineering company to use their computer and talks to it. "Computer!" and then picks up the mouse and speaks into it like a microphone.
  17. #17  
    That feature never worked. It was never included on the 700. It is a little irritating but thanks for the info about voice command.
  18. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #18  
    The voice command on here is very robust and it works well for me. The best part I like is when I ask it for my upcoming appointments and it tells me what time and who it is and the location.
  19. #19  
    does the voice command work through a bluetooth headset? or do you have to hold the phone to your ear.... in which case it seems easier to just 'look up your contacts' directly??
  20. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #20  
    no it doesn't work through bluetooth (downside), but you don't have to hold the phone to your ear either. When you press the button and it activates, just hold the phone in front of you and talk to it (not like ooh baby your looking mighty hot). When you say a command it will then repeat the info back to you over the speaker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions