Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Pros:
    1. CDMA Broadband out of the box (This is its killer app)
    2. Both stylus and 5-way navigator options
    3. May be able to do skype (free phoning around the world, free) but with some latency
    4. WM5: full windows compatability
    5.Very sleek design very very cool looking
    6. can do DUN (i.e. use your phone to be a modem for your laptop broadband) but with Third party software
    7. Voice notes, mp3 files etc which can be emailed and played back on it.
    8. Good camera and MMS
    9. Wifi capable (needs addl Sd card)
    10. Has SD Card slot

Cons:
    1. Poor memory
    2. Keyboard tactility?
    3. Some reports of poor battery (unit got released just three days ago and as such untested)
    4. No true push email though it iis EVDO (which sort of sucks)
    5. no threaded sms
    6. weaker display as compared to BB
    7. No out of the box wifi
    Last edited by athreya; 01/13/2006 at 11:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    You forgot one of the biggest cons. No built-in WiFi and it requires you to use Palm's no-storage WiFi card that will cost you an extra $80-100 or so from what I hear.
    Slinky - the Socket wifi card apparently also works with the Treo 700w as long as one downloads the latest drivers.

The valid point you make though, is if you want wifi, you do have to sacrifice storage when the wifi card is used. SanDisk no longer makes their WiFi / 256MB card.

My 700w is due in today. I am hoping that the EVDO will offset my old requirement / requests for WiFi services on the 600/650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    My 700w is due in today. I am hoping that the EVDO will offset my old requirement / requests for WiFi services on the 600/650.
    EXACTLY!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    EXACTLY!

due to latency
    athreya.....Nice Post. The Treo 700w is a great phone, but with any phone, it is important to know the Pros and Cons of the phone. If the Pros do what you want, and you can live with cons, then it is the perfect phone for you. If not then you have made an educated decision based on your own personal needs and do the same thing with the next phone you look at.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    athreya.....Nice Post. The Treo 700w is a great phone, but with any phone, it is important to know the Pros and Cons of the phone. If the Pros do what you want, and you can live with cons, then it is the perfect phone for you. If not then you have made an educated decision based on your own personal needs and do the same thing with the next phone you look at.
    thank you. couldnt agree more
    add automatically reverse dun when tethered to your computer. (I dont know if this is the case using a bluetooth connection). geting 3MBps on the 700 right now.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by callinectes
    add automatically reverse dun when tethered to your computer. (I dont know if this is the case using a bluetooth connection). geting 3MBps on the 700 right now.
    hi!
    i dont follow. where do i add this? and how does reverse dun help? will it help do skype?
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    Pros:
    2. Both stylus and 5-way navigator options
    5-way support is rather weak from from all of the reviews I have read. Hopefully will get better as time goes on tho.

Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    4. WM5: full windows compatability
    That's a feature that probably should be listed as a pro and a con
    Pro i suppose.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by callinectes
    Pro i suppose.

about the reverse DUN?
    the memory just kills it for me.....just to have one mp3 loaded to use as a ringer, jacks the memory used up and then if you add just a few more apps, your slowed down to a crawl! Not cool for a "smartphone"
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    the memory just kills it for me.....just to have one mp3 loaded to use as a ringer, jacks the memory used up and then if you add just a few more apps, your slowed down to a crawl! Not cool for a "smartphone"

can the memory be handled through an external sd card? can programs be launched from it?
    Not that I know of....in WM05 it copies the programs from ROM into RAM to run it. That is why even though there is 60 mb of user available ROM, the 32 MB of RAM is a con.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Not that I know of....in WM05 it copies the programs from ROM into RAM to run it. That is why even though there is 60 mb of user available ROM, the 32 MB of RAM is a con.

Are you Sure of what you are saying?
    See if this helps:

Implications of Memory Management in Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PCs

Rom
    Since Microsoft decided switch to storing all information in flash, there are benefits and trade offs. First as a benefit, all your data is stored in flash and the flash is not erased if you run the battery of your Pocket PC dry. This is now called persistent storage. Second, the flash space in the Pocket PC is split between storage and rom. So the amount of data or programs you install on your Pocket PC is limited by the amount of free storage (flash) on your device. Also note that the storage in flash is not compressed like it was in prior versions so you cannot store as much information in flash. Also due to this design, programs that are installed stored in flash are copied to ram to be executed thus they occupy twice the space. Finally the directory of data stored in the boot rom is merged with the storage flash so the user sees the file system as one. If a file in the boot rom is replaced by a file in storage flash the storage flash file is used.

RAM
    So the ram inside the Pocket PC is now dedicated to running programs. So if you attempt to run multiple programs that are "hogs" like you used to in Windows Mobile 2003, they may not run or the operating system may close some of them. Users should be aware that the 32mb size limitation for a single program still applies to Windows Mobile 5.0 applications. The memory management for programs still applies as well where the operating system flushes pages of programs that are no longer needed, thus optimizing the use of ram in the system for other programs to execute.

Conclusion
    Overall this new model of storage and execution space in Windows Mobile 5.0 more closely resembles the way your PC stores programs in rom (like your hard disk) and execute programs in ram. I believe that the benefits of storing all information in flash outweigh the loss of space and ability to run large applications. This is the same model that the Smartphone has used since it's introduction in 2002.

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/5.0/...management.htm
    Pros: CDMA, Bluetooth
    Cons: ActiveSync, ****-poor 5-way support

... and I haven't even put Good on it yet.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    Pros: CDMA, Bluetooth
    Cons: ActiveSync, ****-poor 5-way support

... and I haven't even put Good on it yet.
    Everyone in The world now gives BT Hardly a pro anymore. Good Cannotbe put by individual use rs can it?
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    You forgot one of the biggest cons. No built-in WiFi and it requires you to use Palm's no-storage WiFi card that will cost you an extra $80-100 or so from what I hear.

Why does everyone make such a fuss over having built in WIFI? I mean, with EVDO/1X...who really needs it? Now, if you were able to spit out IP addresses to others clients...like say an Xbox or laptop...that would be great...but just the ability to connect to a WIFI network?? I dunno...seems pretty low on the totem pole to me...unless you lived in an area that didn't have 1X or EVDO. Or..maybe I'm just completely ignorant? ha!

Arcanic
    In caves all cats are gray...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast