Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    @athreya:

The solution I described won't work for you because you described yourself as having a lotus notes/gmail solution. However, for the purposes of your and other poster's edification, I searched the Microsoft support site for this. Here is your link to the service pack that enables push email for the Treo700 on Exchange 2K3.
    so how would it work for these then? is there any other solution?
    How about Goodlink? I haven't checked myself yet to see if their product works on the 700w or not, but I believe they have a notes server based push solution much like RIM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    The one single thing I miss the most on the 700w that the 650 has is that nice big "speaker phone" button on screen after dialing a number.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy did they bury the speaker phone function in a pull down menu? This truly baffles me. It's just so logical to have it right there on the screen after you've dialed a number, and on the 700w it's simply not there.

I could list plenty of other things about WM5 that drive me nuts, but as soon as I took the 700w out of the box, charged it up, and made my first call, I looked at the screen and said to myself where's the freakin' speaker phone button!?

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I don't have a 700w to test it on, but most WM devices all you have to do is hold down the call button after your dial for 3 seconds and the speaker phone comes on.
    Press the menu key and then the center key.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I don't have a 700w to test it on, but most WM devices all you have to do is hold down the call button after your dial for 3 seconds and the speaker phone comes on.
    Dosnt work that way on the 700w

It makes another call....weird
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yup... just found this out and i can actually use this feature as i seem to call the same person back again and again...

If you are not in a call and you hold down the call button it calls back the last person you called...

If you are in a call and you hold down the call button it calls back the last person you called (instead of turning on the speakerphone like all other WM devices do).

Kinda cool that holding down the call button calls back the last person you called...kinda stupid that holding it down while in a call also calls back the last person you called since you are already talking to that person.
    Last edited by gex; 02/06/2006 at 11:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Kinda cool that holding down the call button calls back the last person you called...kinda stupid that holding it down while in a call also call back the last person you called since you are already talking to that person.

Gex....maybe there is a mapping hack in the reg that can be modified. But if you had to add a Dvalue, I don't know what it would be off hand.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Yup... just found this out and i can actually use this feature as i seem to call the same person back again and again...

If our not in a call and you hold down the call button it calls back the last person you called...

If you are in a call and you hold down the call button it calls back the last person you called (instead of turning on the speakerphone like all other WM devices do).

Kinda cool that holding down the call button calls back the last person you called...kinda stupid that holding it down while in a call also call back the last person you called since you are already talking to that person.
    I was going to come back here and say the same thing you just said, but now I don't have to. My results were identical. Why you'd want to put the person you're talking to on hold and call him/her AGAIN by holding down the green call button is something I'll leave for the philosophers to answer, because it sure doesn't make any sense to me.

C'mon Palm, just put the speaker phone button back on the screen where it belongs.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    The one single thing I miss the most on the 700w that the 650 has is that nice big "speaker phone" button on screen after dialing a number.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy did they bury the speaker phone function in a pull down menu? This truly baffles me. It's just so logical to have it right there on the screen after you've dialed a number, and on the 700w it's simply not there.

I could list plenty of other things about WM5 that drive me nuts, but as soon as I took the 700w out of the box, charged it up, and made my first call, I looked at the screen and said to myself where's the freakin' speaker phone button!?

Harv
    it's not that hard to push the menu button then speakerphone at the top of the menu, at least not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    it's not that hard to push the menu button then speakerphone at the top of the menu, at least not for me.
    Especially since the speakerphone option is at the top. Ally ou do is press the menu button and then the center button. (Sorry for the repetition but ...dang.)
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    I agree...but for consistency reasons they should of left the behavior of holding down the call button while in a call to turn on the speakerphone alone. Its one of those "tricks" on WM5 that once you learn you get used to using.

I image since they replaced the behavior of the call button from standard WM5 with their own version that it got overlooked by their useability people....one more reason for me to apply for a job at Palm...

I would apply at MS if I didnt have to move to Washington (and have other responsibilities that require I stay where I am)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanic
    Why does everyone make such a fuss over having built in WIFI? I mean, with EVDO/1X...who really needs it? Now, if you were able to spit out IP addresses to others clients...like say an Xbox or laptop...that would be great...but just the ability to connect to a WIFI network?? I dunno...seems pretty low on the totem pole to me...unless you lived in an area that didn't have 1X or EVDO. Or..maybe I'm just completely ignorant? ha!

Arcanic
    I use WiFi on the 700w to download/upload data files to network attached storage (NAS) drives. I have numerous Palm OS and Windows Mobile devices, and have found using NAS as a central storage point works well. In order to get to the drives, I use the Palm WiFi card. If the 700w's bluetooth supported DUN profile, I would be able to access NAS via bluetooth access point at a slower speed; however 700w does not support DUN. I also use the WiFi card to print from 700w to network printers.

The WiFi card works fine, but you loose your SD storage card capacity plus have to take out SD card and insert WiFi card each time you want to access NAS or networked printers. WiFi should be built into a device in this price range.

Hopefully Microsoft will restore WiFi Activesync in a future version of Activesync which would significantly increase usefullness of built-in WiFi.
    I'm a .NET software developer.

The fact that there is a discussion going on about the most minute detail of the functionality of this software, with opinions on both sides about something that is at best totally subjective ... ie ... what should the intuitive behavior of one button be in a given situation. I will tell you, im sure the developer of this is as bored with this topic as i am, and this reminds me of endless meetings with end users, who totally overlook HUGE functionality breakthroughs and foucus on minute subjective details such as this.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I'm a .NET software developer.

The fact that there is a discussion going on about the most minute detail of the functionality of this software, with opinions on both sides about something that is at best totally subjective ... ie ... what should the intuitive behavior of one button be in a given situation. I will tell you, im sure the developer of this is as bored with this topic as i am, and this reminds me of endless meetings with end users, who totally overlook HUGE functionality breakthroughs and foucus on minute subjective details such as this.
    But it's the little stuff like this that endears people to companies like Apple, Palm, etc. They (usually) put good thought and design into the small stuff as well as the big stuff.
    yeah, i said i write Microsoft Software .. wink
  17. SHV
    I don't have a WiFi card yet for my 700W, but an important reason to have it is that, if one doesn't live in an EVDO area, but rather a 1X one, then all incoming calls go to voicemail.... for those that need to synch often, this means that a lot of calls (and perhaps a family emergency) won't make it through.

With the Palm or Socket WiFi card, is the phone radio disabled when WiFi is in use? It is in the HTC phones I believe. if it is not, then it is a good solution for me to have while at work- I still want my mail synched, but need to receive calls.

BTW- there was a reference in this post to DUN being available? I thought that Verizon blocked this.... is there 3rd party software for DUN, and if so from where?

thanks,
    Steve
    you're thinking of reverse dun which is not blocked
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123