Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1. #21  
    Just off the top of my head, reasons for WIFI:
    • If you are not in EVDO area (which are only in limited metro areas).....faster connection than 1x or Edge.
    • If you are roaming, do data (EVDO or 1x). No data, no internet. NO internet, no browsing AND no Email.
    • In a building / store / warehouse were you cannot get cell reception but have access to WIFI network.
    • At home, no EVDO and want to stream music / movies to handheld.
    • SKYPE.
    • Don't want / need to pay $45 a month for EVDO and have loads of free WIFI at school, work, home, city provided hotspots, etc.....
    • Outside of USA pay for data by the KB, when WIFI is free.

    It is more amazing to me when people don't recognize that there a wide range of needs that WIFI becomes not only an added feature, but also a VITAL or ONLY option that may provide connectivity or else use only a dead phone that is only a PDA with no contact to the outside world.
  2. jeeter's Avatar
    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #22  
    Hobbes, I think that is an excellent list of why wifi is useful. Personally I would find GPS to be more useful than wifi.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  3. #23  
    I use GPS ALL the time and there are several WM05 phones coming out this year that have BOTH WIFI and GPS built into them. But if I had the choice, I would choose WIFI built in because it is so easy to use a BT GPS unit vs removing my memory SD card to use a SD Wifi card.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Just off the top of my head, reasons for WIFI:
    • If you are not in EVDO area (which are only in limited metro areas).....faster connection than 1x or Edge.
    • If you are roaming, do data (EVDO or 1x). No data, no internet. NO internet, no browsing AND no Email.
    • In a building / store / warehouse were you cannot get cell reception but have access to WIFI network.
    • At home, no EVDO and want to stream music / movies to handheld.
    • SKYPE.
    • Don't want / need to pay $45 a month for EVDO and have loads of free WIFI at school, work, home, city provided hotspots, etc.....
    • Outside of USA pay for data by the KB, when WIFI is free.

    It is more amazing to me when people don't recognize that there a wide range of needs that WIFI becomes not only an added feature, but also a VITAL or ONLY option that may provide connectivity or else use only a dead phone that is only a PDA with no contact to the outside world.

    Hobbes, I couldn't agree more, but doesn't wifi usage kill the battery rapidly ? Have you tried it on the 700?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanic
    Why does everyone make such a fuss over having built in WIFI? I mean, with EVDO/1X...who really needs it? Now, if you were able to spit out IP addresses to others clients...like say an Xbox or laptop...that would be great...but just the ability to connect to a WIFI network?? I dunno...seems pretty low on the totem pole to me...unless you lived in an area that didn't have 1X or EVDO. Or..maybe I'm just completely ignorant? ha!

    Arcanic
    wifi matters if you are in the basement of office buildings where there is no signal. and for emailing voice notes (my palm life drive shows that option)- not sure if you can do so on evdo
  6. lem
    lem is offline
    lem's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    • At home, no EVDO and want to stream music / movies to handheld.
    • SKYPE.
    I remember reading a post here that suggested that streaming applications violated a service agreement concerning the use of EVDO. If that is really the case, then using a wireless card may become the only way to stream live feeds of data without compromising the agreement.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by lem
    I remember reading a post here that suggested that streaming applications violated a service agreement concerning the use of EVDO. If that is really the case, then using a wireless card may become the only way to stream live feeds of data without compromising the agreement.
    no it doesnt. says who?

    and theres EVDO everywhere so i dont understand why not at home and why no skype? Hobbes?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    and theres EVDO everywhere so i dont understand why not at home and why no skype? Hobbes?

    I am sorry but this is incorrect. EVDO is not in most of places I am. I don't have it at home and in most of the places I work I do not have it. Until Verizon pushes EVDO to more areas, I very seldom get to use it.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    no it doesnt. says who?

    and theres EVDO everywhere so i dont understand why not at home and why no skype? Hobbes?
    If you want to read a really good dicussion on the need for WIFI, then read thru this thread:

    Its Official: 4 New Smartphones in 2006

    Here is a quote from that thread that deals directly with your question:

    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    But even though VZ may be launching the device, I doubt it will be the only carrier to offer it. I was just curious about their "Broadband Access" coverage and here is the map for the Northwest:

    Purple = Wireless Broadband Speed Access Coverage (EVDO)
    Yellow = National Cell phone access coverage (1x data speed)
    White = No coverage

    Again, I do fully agree that EVDO is the answer....I personally cannot wait to get it and plan on using it A LOT......but it just isn't there yet as a all around solution. I think another 2 years we will see a huge difference....or maybe not....but until then all the VZ people in yellow on the map does not have access to EVDO and then is stuck with dialup speed data plans and everyone in white are roaming and have no data plans.

    It looks like Sprint has a bigger EVDO footprint on the West than VZ does:

    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...Portland,%20Or
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It is more amazing to me when people don't recognize that there a wide range of needs that WIFI becomes not only an added feature, but also a VITAL or ONLY option that may provide connectivity or else use only a dead phone that is only a PDA with no contact to the outside world.
    I can see many of these uses, but if I am in an office building, school or somewhere else I wouldn't dream of using handheld to make a call or internet usage. I'd use a land line or a desktop / laptop. There are places like a coffee shop that provide an opportunity but again, I am much more likely to enjoy my snack / lunch at the shop there and check / return my e-mails when I get back to the office in 15 minutes.
  11. #31  
    Look at the link above pointing to the 4 New Smartphone thread. You will see a LONG list of situations, reason, etc... where WIFI becomes the ONLY option. As far as the single point you brought up, here is what said on that other thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Quotes from multiple posts by HobbesIsReal

    Just use your laptop.....whoever falls on this arguement either never travels or never uses their convergence device for business. There are so many situations a laptop is not either convenient or impractical or impossible to use that it is ridiculous....i.e. I cannot use my laptop in the car to get my email, sitting in an airport, during a business meeting and need facts fast.

    Just wait until you get home to get your stats......This one again must of been from someone who never uses their treo much for business. Personally I am on daily and weekly deadlines and if I cannot check my stats until I get back home or to the hotel room to discover if there is a problem, I would be fired!

    ----------------

    Do I use WIFI all the time? NO. But, being in the world of travelling professionals (which the Treo targets), WIFI can become the difference in getting those vital emails or stats or failing in my job because I was roaming.....When you roam...No Vision...No Vision then No Data....No Data then No Internet....No Internet then No Email or Web Access. No Internet or Email Access then I am tough out of luck while sitting in a McDonalds with Wifi waves flying all around me begging to be used for free.

    Another example is I fly alot and there a times that it is hard to get a signal in an office building or an airport, especially when in those underground sections that many of them have. Again, no signal....No Vision...No Vision then No Data....No Data then No Internet....No Internet then No Email or Web Access. While sitting in an airport with FREE wifi buzzing all around just begging to be used, but I cannot take advantage of it.

    Many of my co-workers, and my bosses, have noticed and commented how grateful and vital it was that I had this capability at key moments during this last year.

    ------------------

    Having WIFI is often times not a matter of choosing it over other options, but having all options available for whatever situation you might be in:
    • REAL STORY: When roaming......no data plan available. Hence WIFI would be your ONLY option for data and internet connection. I was travelling in WY, roaming. My boss calls and says there is a VITAL email for me I needed for my meeting in less than 20 minutes. Luckily there was a Hilton Hotel next door (Free WIFI). I walk over into their parking lot and throw in my WIFI card (no data plan because I was roaming) and download my email with the vital info.
    • REALITY: EVDO has limited coverage. So when not in EVDO area, and in a one of thousands of free WIFI areas it is a logical fastest online option.
    • SEVERAL REAL STORIES: I am in a building (office, airport, warehouse, etc...) where I am unable to get a cell signal, but there is Free WIFI avialable. I can give dozens of real experiences with this situation.
    • REAL STORY: I am in a meeting. No EVDO. I need info from the net FAST. I don't even have a laptop with me. WIFI in office with access to it, hence time is of enhance, I choose the fastest option available.
    • REAL STORY: I am in 6th line at airport. I hear only 3 seats left. I throw in my WIFI card into my PPC-6600 (free WIFI at Portland Airport you see) jump online and book my seat. When I am 2nd in line I hear her say all sold out. I get up there and get my ticket. If left with slow data plan I would probably have missed that important flight for work.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/01/2006 at 01:30 PM.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    Hobbes, I couldn't agree more, but doesn't wifi usage kill the battery rapidly ? Have you tried it on the 700?
    It does use more battery power, which is why you don't have it on all the time. With most phones as long as you are aware of the extra battery consumption they have been fine. No matter what, with my Treo or my PPC, I always have a travel charger, several back up batteries, a AA battery source, and a charge charger. Obviously I never want to take the chance of losing power, but you get the idea. A quick top off in the car while driving to get lunch can do wonders for your daily battery life.
  13. #33  
    Ok, on the "no true push email through EVDO" point:

    We have E2K3 SP2 and I've got push email running on my Treo. No Verizon "wireless sync" app required either. Here: You set up activesync by choosing the name (not the address) of your OWA frontend server. Even though the field is labeled "Address" you must use your FQDN common name here if you want to be able to check the "This server requires an encrypted (SSL) connection). Then you choose "As Items arrive" in the sync schedule. Then you enter your verizon email textmessage address in the setup. This is <phonenumber>@vtext.com. Voila!

    "Ok, but its still pull" you may be thinking, the difference being that E2K3 sends a special textmessage when your mailbox status changes to cause the treo to fire up a wireless activesync. This makes all the difference. We compared my Treo700 side by side with a blackberry and there was no difference in new email reception. Heck, the "already read" status (indicated by bold/not bold titles in outlook/pocket outlook) synchronized on both ends as well.

    Microsoft has trumped RIM with this solution. Call it what you want, but its as good as a blackberry in terms of the effect. The big difference is: It's free!
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    Ok, on the "no true push email through EVDO" point:

    We have E2K3 SP2 and I've got push email running on my Treo. No Verizon "wireless sync" app required either. Here: You set up activesync by choosing the name (not the address) of your OWA frontend server. Even though the field is labeled "Address" you must use your FQDN common name here if you want to be able to check the "This server requires an encrypted (SSL) connection). Then you choose "As Items arrive" in the sync schedule. Then you enter your verizon email textmessage address in the setup. This is <phonenumber>@vtext.com. Voila!

    "Ok, but its still pull" you may be thinking, the difference being that E2K3 sends a special textmessage when your mailbox status changes to cause the treo to fire up a wireless activesync. This makes all the difference. We compared my Treo700 side by side with a blackberry and there was no difference in new email reception. Heck, the "already read" status (indicated by bold/not bold titles in outlook/pocket outlook) synchronized on both ends as well.

    Microsoft has trumped RIM with this solution. Call it what you want, but its as good as a blackberry in terms of the effect. The big difference is: It's free!
    can you please repeat this in simple english? how is it free? BB is also free for its internet based service.

    Can i use my lotus notes (behind two corporate firewalls) and my gmail through this? Can you send us the link to download the software?

    If i send on my handheld, will it show up on the BB?
  15. #35  
    As with most M$ solutions, this one is Microsoft only. You need E2K3 service pack 2. Sorry I didn't make that distinction.
    Last edited by Sleuth255; 02/02/2006 at 07:45 PM.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth255
    As with most M$ solutions, this one is Microsoft only. You need E2K3 service pack 2. Sorry I didn't make that distinction.
    can you pls try and answer what i asked in my post above? where does one get this service pack?
  17. #37  
    btw, in may you will have "free" push built into Novell GroupWise as well. They are integrating Intellisync and offering it out of the box.

    It will have significantly more features and enhanced customization then the M$ solution. You can pick which contacts/address books to sync, and sync memos and to do's as well.

    Oh, and no M$ viruses either!

    It will work on all Treos, Blackberrys, Nokias, M$ Smartphones, etc...

    M$ is Trumped.
  18.    #38  
    this thread is meant for pros and cons of the 700. there are other threads that discuss push in specific
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    this thread is meant for pros and cons of the 700. there are other threads that discuss push in specific
    You are right. I agree.

    Unfortunately, I have not read very many posts with Pros and Cons. If the 700w does come to Sprint, I have no idea whether I should "upgrade" or not from my 650.

    I did see that I could stream XM over the internet to it. That is cool.

    How many of the M$ smartphone games will run on this thing?
  20. #40  
    @athreya:

    The solution I described won't work for you because you described yourself as having a lotus notes/gmail solution. However, for the purposes of your and other poster's edification, I searched the Microsoft support site for this. Here is your link to the service pack that enables push email for the Treo700 on Exchange 2K3.
    Last edited by Sleuth255; 02/03/2006 at 10:01 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions