Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I noticed in the manual that palm is offering a free backup and restore program. They give the link www.palm.com/mytreo700wVerizon

I don't see anything there unless I am overlooking it about the free backup program.

Anyone else notice this?
    I don't see it there either. The best backup solution so far would have to be Sprite backup, although its currently in beta for WM5.
    Iv'e been looking for a week, I can't find it.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    Iv'e been looking for a week, I can't find it.
    Try:

http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1836

Frank
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I recall the manual promising that Palm will provide Sprite backup, free, for the 700w but yeah, it's still in beta for WM 5 and most definately not available at the URL promised. What's up with that?

I am using the Sprite beta version and did one restore w/ it on my 700w; it worked flawlessly. The beta doesn't produce self-extracting archives but the final version will. The beta forum may be found at http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_MA
    I recall the manual promising that Palm will provide Sprite backup, free, for the 700w but yeah, it's still in beta for WM 5 and most definately not available at the URL promised. What's up with that?

I am using the Sprite beta version and did one restore w/ it on my 700w; it worked flawlessly. The beta doesn't produce self-extracting archives but the final version will. The beta forum may be found at http://www.spritesoftware.com/forum
    I noticed there are a few different version posted in that forum. Which is the right one for the Treo (VGA, non-VGA, CAB etc.)?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd
    I noticed there are a few different version posted in that forum. Which is the right one for the Treo (VGA, non-VGA, CAB etc.)?
    I am using the non-VGA version and I downloaded the EXE of that, which installs via a Windows PC connected to the 700w. Running beta software always entails some risk: you should not install it unless you know what you're doing (not to be catty, but understanding the different download options on a beta forum might be an indicator of that....), and you can deal with the possibility of needing to perform a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_MA
    (not to be catty, but understanding the different download options on a beta forum might be an indicator of that....), .
    I kind of expected that but I figured I'd ask anyway. I had downloaded the non-VGA CAB but it showed up as a zip file, so I was a little confused as to which one to use.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Nothing wrong with asking, and I really didn't mean to be catty; I just meant that you likely won't get any support from the vendor about how to decipher the download/install options, or undo any damage the beta does to your OS (it's free, after all, and beta testers are at least technically supposed to be helping the company).

Anyway, CAB files will just self-install a program if you open then on a pocket PC (like the 700w); some users posting in the Sprite beta forum are keeping the CAB file on a storage card until the backup files are self-extracting - that way if the handheld needs a hard reset, they can install Sprite from the card and then run the restore. The EXE file also installs a Windows PC client for Sprite which is pretty cool - you can initiate and schedule backups right from your desktop.

Cheers, Eric