Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 101
  1.    #1  
    So Mr. Gates demonstrates the direct-push wonders of MSFP (Messaging and Security Feature Pack) ON the 700W and then they SHIP the device without it. Now its looking like its MONTHS out via a ROM flash. I seriously want to break something.. lots of somethings... we have FIFTY of these devices due to arrive today or Monday and they are completely useless to me and my company.

    lawsuit.
  2. #2  
    Did you try to confirm this issue with Verizon, Microsoft, or Palm before making the purchase?

    Sounds like you are not doing your job very well.
  3. #3  
    I can't believe that any business would seriously consider the Treo 700w (or the Treo 650) now that the Blackberry 8700c is on the market. Amazing. And you bought 50? Send them back unless the camera is a must. The e-mail client is a joke.

    You want instant push e-mail? Get Blackberries!!!

    I read this forum just for fun. I am a former Treo 600 and 650 owner. I can't believe that any business people are still buying Treos unless it is for the camera. (Real estate agents, etc.) Blackberries destroy Treos as a serious business tool.

    Flame me if you like (I'm sure many of you will) but if you haven't experienced the 8700c, then you don't know what you're talking about. The 8700c is 100% reliable, never crashes or resets, and is excellent in every way.
  4. #4  
    Calman,

    I love when people on these boards assume that they are right and everybody else is wrong. Yes blackberries are great at mobile email. They also require a large infrastructure and maintenence costs. The advantage of the MS Direct Push email solution is that all that is really needed is maybe a new frontend server in your environment.

    There is no 3rd party network or montlhly fees added (in addtion to your regular service plan).

    Also, blackberries cant run hallf of the 3rd party apps I need.
  5. #5  
    What costs? My costs are just $44 per month. No infrastructure necessary. For a business using an enterprise server, it's easy and very low cost. I bet you've never even tried the BB 8700c.
  6. #6  
    I carried a 7100t around with me for 4 months. I think its fine for mobile email and just about nothing else. Found I missed the touchscreen to much and not being able to edit excel spreadsheets (without buying an overpriced 3rd party app).

    If you think Blackberries are so great, why are you on this board?



    As for your costs, do you maintain your own blackberry seryver? How much is your yearly maintence contract with RIM?
  7. #7  
    No I have no Blackberry or other server. Don't need one. That's what many Treo owners don't understand. No server necessary. None. Nada. I get all my e-mail INSTANTLY! And try the 8700c, not the 7100. World's apart. And why do you think you can't get excel on a Blackberry? You can! And Word, and everything else (except a camera).

    My yearly maintenance contract with RIM is zero. I don't have one. You don't need one!!!
  8. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #8  
    I don't understand that either. People come on here that don't even own Treo's and start bashing them whether it's Palm OS or Windows. Yes you used to own a Treo, but you don't anymore so why not take flight to a blackberry forum?

    I come here to learn about the Treo, I go to other sites to learn about other phones. Hence the name TREOCentral.

    Also, it's great that you have found a device that works for you. Not everyone is in the same boat. Different needs, applications, etc. I don't believe there is one solution that is going to fit everyone.

    That's just like saying that everyone should use Windows, or everyone should use Mac. People use what fits them or their company the best.

    I use the 700W because my company is with Verizon. They are not going to jump ship after being with them for the last 15 years for a particular phone. We stay with Verizon because we have had excellent service with them and with our company, they fit our needs, but then again that is our company.

    Ok, I'm done.
  9. #9  
    Without a blackberry server, how are you getting your email. Your service provider is hosting it for you?

    What program do you use on the blackberry to open and edit office docs?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    Without a blackberry server, how are you getting your email. Your service provider is hosting it for you?

    What program do you use on the blackberry to open and edit office docs?
    He HAS a server, he just doesn't know it, or understand how it works. I just CALLED RIM's CS line and they confirmed that it can't be done without it.
    Second, I'm sure there are programs out there that will view and edit Excel docs, but again, according to RIM the 8700c doesn't do it "out of the box".
    Wow. Glad you're solution works so well for you, in fantasy land where you live (according to RIM).

    NEXT?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    I don't understand that either. People come on here that don't even own Treo's and start bashing them whether it's Palm OS or Windows. Yes you used to own a Treo, but you don't anymore so why not take flight to a blackberry forum?
    You have to understand the Trolls mentality.

    He's generally fat and balding (usually more hair on his back, then on his head.) He usually sits at his computer nude, or at most in a wife beater and nothing else. Can of Milwaukees Finest, as well as an ashtray full of spent Pall-Malls to the side of the keyboard. He enters forums to stir up trouble. It causes blood to flow into his *****, thus sweliing it. The more he trolls, the more it swells, until finally...

    Understand now?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12. nuflat's Avatar
    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    #12  
    Ahh, makes sense!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    No I have no Blackberry or other server. Don't need one. That's what many Treo owners don't understand. No server necessary. None. Nada. I get all my e-mail INSTANTLY! And try the 8700c, not the 7100. World's apart. And why do you think you can't get excel on a Blackberry? You can! And Word, and everything else (except a camera).

    My yearly maintenance contract with RIM is zero. I don't have one. You don't need one!!!
    im a great BB and Treo fan. Calman i agree with you, but while it is true push thru BB8700 you cant get ALL the functionalities (if you dont have the BES) environment..for instance if you are using the 8700 with gmail or outlook in general, if you send an email from the 8700 it wont show up in the sent folder of your 8700 as it would with a true BES server.

    also are you able to edit excel out of the box with the 8700? (i have the treo 600, the palm life drive and BB 7290) now toying between the 8700 vs. the 700w
  14. #14  
    Another good feature of many BB's
    is that they can be used as a Ping Pong Paddle.
    Just call me Berd.
  15. #15  
    Cingular provides the Blackberry service for $44.95 per month. I use Earthlink e-mail. I just set my Earthlink e-mail to send a copy of all my e-mail to my Cingular/Blackberry e-mail address and it appears on my BB 8700c instantly. Repeat: All e-mails arrive on my Blackberry as soon as they are sent - automatically. Beautiful!

    Incidentally, the Blackberry service has the best e-mail filter on the planet. I can prevent all e-mail containing a particular word or set of words, or from a pareticular sender, reaching my Blackberry.

    Yes, you have to buy the Word and Excel programs. What else do you need (apart from a camera)?

    The guy who bought 50 Treo 700s for his company made a big mistake. Instant e-mail is essential for business people in this day and age. And he can't get it with his Treo 700s unless he has a special server set up! It's the Treo 700 that needs the special infrastructure and expense, not the Blackberry. Blackberry push instant e-mail works right out of the box for ordinary folks. So there!
  16. #16  
    You just don't get it do you?

    The reason people bought is because if MS would have delivered what they demo'ed he'd have had $0 monthly, instead of $44.95 x 50. Now, because of the 'ol bait and switch, he's pissed.

    If/when ms delivers there will be very few companies (yours included is my guess) that will be able to continue justify spending $44.95 / employee for push mail when they can have it "for free" with their existing MS investment.

    BTW -- you do have server, Cingular is hosting it. And how well does it sync your contacts and calendar from your earthlink account ....

    Also essential for today's business professional. Glad you enjoy you partial solution, but that's all it is. And how many real businesses have Earthlink email?

    Now move along little troll boy.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    Cingular provides the Blackberry service for $44.95 per month. I use Earthlink e-mail. I just set my Earthlink e-mail to send a copy of all my e-mail to my Cingular/Blackberry e-mail address and it appears on my BB 8700c instantly. Repeat: All e-mails arrive on my Blackberry as soon as they are sent - automatically. Beautiful!

    Incidentally, the Blackberry service has the best e-mail filter on the planet. I can prevent all e-mail containing a particular word or set of words, or from a pareticular sender, reaching my Blackberry.

    Yes, you have to buy the Word and Excel programs. What else do you need (apart from a camera)?

    The guy who bought 50 Treo 700s for his company made a big mistake. Instant e-mail is essential for business people in this day and age. And he can't get it with his Treo 700s unless he has a special server set up! It's the Treo 700 that needs the special infrastructure and expense, not the Blackberry. Blackberry push instant e-mail works right out of the box for ordinary folks. So there!
    I had not only a BB 7290 but a 7100 "AND" two 8700c's and I can tell you none of them compare to the Treo. The ONLY thing a BB beats them on is the push e-mail. In fact, both of the 8700c's I had had crackling Bluetooth issues which was one of the reason I sent them back. Mainly I did not like having to scroll everywhere versus the Treo's touch screen. The browser on the 8700, even though it is loads better then the other BB's, does not compare to the Treo. You get a BB with a touchscreen and then you may have a Treo killer. Until then IMO the Treo is still supreme.
  18. #18  
    pdagolfer: You are brilliant! You have obviously called Cingular and got their volume business rate, haven't you? Yeah, right!

    If he wants to get a Blackberry Exchange Server to get all his e-mail and other Outlook stuff synced instantly, then he can. But he said e-mail was the key for him.

    By the way, $45 multipled by 50 employees is a whopping $2,200 per month. Do you think that a 50 person company can handle that?

    Incidentally, T-Mobile's Blackberry service is about $19 per month.
  19. #19  
    [QUOTE=also are you able to edit excel out of the box with the 8700? (i have the treo 600, the palm life drive and BB 7290) now toying between the 8700 vs. the 700w[/QUOTE]


    I can tell you from my experience that you "cannot" edit Excel and Word documents out of the box on the 8700. You can view but not edit/create. In all honesty, I really liked the 8700 and posted as such about a month ago. It was a solid device and compared to the other BB devices I think it is the best one RIM has delivered to date.

    I am not a Treo power user who is watching movies and trying to take pulitzer winning pictures with the camera.

    I use my Treo for business it functions perfectly. In fact, with Activesync I get my e-mail every 5 minutes and it syncs perfectly with Outlook mail and calendar. When BB Connect is released I will have push but even if that turns to vapor ware "again", I am more then happy with the way I get my corporate e-mail and calendar updates.

    Calman seems happy with his 8700 which is fine....different strokes right?
  20. #20  
    Calman - glad you don't run my company. Idiots like you run companies into the ground.
    Yeah - perfect sense - pay for something less functional than what you already have.
    (Assuming of MS actually didn't bait & switch which was the original point of this thread.)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions