Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HalM
    Glad to try to help you. But I am not familiar with the term "Number ports". Do you mean the ports that are open on your firewall?
    I took that as the physical phone number used to be on T-Mobile but has been ported over to Verizon so he could active the phone making his old phone not work and thus can't get e-mail on it.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Ahhh... That could be it!

I was thinking that BB doesn't use the same ports on the firewall as ActiveSync. So unless they are using SSL for OWA, as you mentioned, he could be in trouble until he get 443 opened and a certificate.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    What really sucks is that these all came with number ports off of TMobile (our blackberry carrier) for our test group to Verizon. The only 700W I've activated so far is mine and the number port already happened, so my Blackberry 7105T is dead. My 700W looks really neat, works as a phone, but my communication with work is now lost.

Is there something I can do temporarily over the weekend to get me back in the loop? Any over-the-air sync I can configure? I have to admit, I dunno much about ActiveSync, can I install it on my desktop at work, and have it punch an outbound hole in our firewall to sync this sucker wirelessly?
    Are you able to access your corporate email with OWA?

It so:

1) Open ActiveSync (preferably using Voice Command )
    2) Select the menu softkey, and then select "Configure Server"
    3) For "server address", plug in the server address (don't add the https:// or anything after the .com, just xxx.xxx.com)
    4) Select the SSL checkbox if you have to use https:// in the browser to get to OWA
    5) Select Next softkey
    6) Plug in your email, password, and domain

You should be able to sync....

I typically select the "email" item , click settings, and limit the email size to "all" so that I get the whole message.

Also, from the activesync screen, you can select "Schedule" and set the sync schedule to "As Items Arrive". This will use SMS messages to force your device to sync. This may be sufficient for your test group until you've got MSFP on the device
  4.    #84  
    HalM - By 'number port' I mean, control of my phone number was passed from TMobile to Verizon. I can probably call TMobile on Monday and get a new SIM inbound with a new number registered, or even flip flop it back. Regardless, my blackberry is without service as the number was ripped from it by my activation of the 700W.

Weaweil - The firewall portion has not been completed, we are not quite ready for external OWA access. That is why Im wondering if I can activesync with the desktop driving it through the firewall.

ebadger - not quite yet, but its good news and I will definitely hop on the completion of our OWA access externally next week. Am I S.O.L. for the time being?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    Great keyboard, so much better than the Treo. Did I mention that yet?
    You also failed to mention the 8700 doesn't make that sucking sound the Treo makes draining the battery when automatically polling for email every 5 or 10 minutes. I wasn't able to make it a full day on my Treo. Can go two full days on the 8700, although I do recharge it every night.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    HalM - By 'number port' I mean, control of my phone number was passed from TMobile to Verizon. I can probably call TMobile on Monday and get a new SIM inbound with a new number registered, or even flip flop it back. Regardless, my blackberry is without service as the number was ripped from it by my activation of the 700W.

Weaweil - The firewall portion has not been completed, we are not quite ready for external OWA access. That is why Im wondering if I can activesync with the desktop driving it through the firewall.

ebadger - not quite yet, but its good news and I will definitely hop on the completion of our OWA access externally next week. Am I S.O.L. for the time being?
    You can probably bounce your inter mail to an external POP account and retrieve it from there, but as far as ActiveSync with Exchange? You are, in fact, S.O.L.

And since you are going to have to talk with your IT guys for OWA, make sure they use a certificate vendor that is already built into the phone. MUCH EASIER. And I don't remember you saying this so please forgive if you did: Your shop is running Exchange 2003 and not some downlevel version?

If you have outlook on your desktop that is connected to your exchange server, you can set it up to sync via the cradle until you've got the OWA up.
    Also, if you have a BT adapter on the PC, you can set up the Treo to sync over BT. Other than that, you're out of luck until you've got the OWA up unless you sync through a POP mailbox like gmail or something
    ...Is there something I can do temporarily over the weekend to get me back in the loop?...
    I really hope you are kidding...

If you have Outlook Web Access up and running at your org. (and if you don't you should be fired for all the other upgrades you've claimed to have done without enabling it), you just need to input the OWA url and your authentication info appropriately and you are all set for manual and scheduled OTA (over the air) syncs...

(While you are sitting around moaning about your predicament, take a few minutes and read the user guide (here's a tip, try pages 74-76 of the printed edition; or pages 81-83 othis pdf: http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...700wvzw_ug.pdf)

AUTD using SMS would require that you actually setup some additional infrastructure that you haven't mentioned, so I would assume that is not an option for this weekend.
  9.    #89  
    *******, ***** and Fired. Im having a good weekend in this thread! whee!

Thanks for those offering suggestions, I'm going to bounce my mail out via deliver to alternate recipient and make a contact for my fastmail.fm addy and that should be good enough for the time being. We'll get the remainder of our infrastructure in place soon enough, just waiting on some firewall mods.
    Dr. Doom:

Which device have you decided against? The Treo 700 or the BB8700?
    I didn't think that was unclear. The 8700c that you praised so highly. That is the device I have decided against, and all it took was a few minutes playing with it to see that, for my needs, it is inferior in every way.
    That's what I was thanking you for.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    *******, ***** and Fired. Im having a good weekend in this thread! whee!

Thanks for those offering suggestions, I'm going to bounce my mail out via deliver to alternate recipient and make a contact for my fastmail.fm addy and that should be good enough for the time being. We'll get the remainder of our infrastructure in place soon enough, just waiting on some firewall mods.
    One last suggestion for you. I believe the 700w comes with Verizon Wireless Sync. While I have never used the product, what I read says that you download a client piece and it will redirect your desktop e-mail to your device. You might give that a try first.
  12.    #92  
    Thank you Weaweil
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I didn't think that was unclear. The 8700c that you praised so highly. That is the device I have decided against, and all it took was a few minutes playing with it to see that, for my needs, it is inferior in every way.
    That's what I was thanking you for.
    Yep. I now agree with you. Instant email is garbage. Much better to wait for 10 minutes or not get it at all. Who needs email anyway? Not me. No sir.
    I love email on my treo 650 with snapper mail. take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Yep. I now agree with you. Instant email is garbage. Much better to wait for 10 minutes or not get it at all. Who needs email anyway? Not me. No sir.
    I'm not knocking your precious damn email. I said "for my needs". Are you illiterate as well as single-minded?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  16.    #96  
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I'm not knocking your precious damn email. I said "for my needs". Are you illiterate as well as single-minded?
    Probably.

I heard he has someone read his instant email for him.

So there's probably a delay there.
    I'm back!
    [QUOTE=mobileman]I carried a 7100t around with me for 4 months. I think its fine for mobile email and just about nothing else. Found I missed the touchscreen to much and not being able to edit excel spreadsheets (without buying an overpriced 3rd party app).

If you think Blackberries are so great, why are you on this board?

Just FYI in case anyone isnt up on the stock market aspect of RIMM vs PALM, RIMM stock price is down about 20% from a year ago (in Nov it was down 30%)

Many RIMM shareholders are losing their &%%$ and are fearfull of losing even more of their ^%$# as the Treo 700 continues to gain steam. IMO many of them are posting here and on other Palm/Treo blogs bashing away at the Treo 700 in hopes of slowing down the Palm Treo 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    If you think Blackberries are so great, why are you on this board?
    Call me crazy, but from his post, it appears he's DEFENDING Treos, not ATTACKING them.

You may want to reread his post again.
    I'm back!
    No I have no Blackberry or other server. Don't need one. That's what many Treo owners don't understand. No server necessary. None. Nada. I get all my e-mail INSTANTLY! And try the 8700c, not the 7100. World's apart. And why do you think you can't get excel on a Blackberry? You can! And Word, and everything else (except a camera).

My yearly maintenance contract with RIM is zero. I don't have one. You don't need one!!!
    You retard. Did you miss that bit about other apps?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast