Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    I can't believe that any business would seriously consider the Treo 700w (or the Treo 650) now that the Blackberry 8700c is on the market. Amazing. And you bought 50? Send them back unless the camera is a must. The e-mail client is a joke.

You want instant push e-mail? Get Blackberries!!!

Yup...at least until courts forces RIM to shut down BB service!

Anyway, there are many good puch solutions for the Treo like Good etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Cingular provides the Blackberry service for $44.95 per month. I use Earthlink e-mail. I just set my Earthlink e-mail to send a copy of all my e-mail to my Cingular/Blackberry e-mail address and it appears on my BB 8700c instantly. Repeat: All e-mails arrive on my Blackberry as soon as they are sent - automatically. Beautiful!
    Uh... you do that exact same thing on the Treo with Chattermail. Just forward all you mail to a IMAP acct like fastmail etc and it will automatically push to the Treo. And it is only a ONE TIME fee for chattermail, not a subscription.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The 8700 browser is fantastic. Destroys the 7100, 7130 and 72**. If you haven't tried the 8700 then you are missing something. Don't talk about it if you haven't tried it. It's very fast. EDGE is fast and so is the processor. Much better than Blazer or IE. No comparison at all.
    Doesn't BB browser use a proxy? If so, then comparing it to blazer would be like apples and oranges...

The fact is that my BB8700 has instant push e-mail, and your Treo 700s don't.You should all stop making pathetic excuses for your substandard device. You know you all want instant push email. I don't believe one of you who says he or she doesn't.

I am having real time conversations via my BB8700 email, JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU DO EVERY DAY FROM YOUR DESKTOPS. Would you accept a 10 minute delay on e-mail coming to your desktop guys? Can I hook you up to a lie detector?

I've been using Blackberries for two years and never missed an email. What's all this nonsense about missing emails?
    Now I understand what they mean by crackberries...
    There are numerous 3rd party push solutions for the Treo. ON WM MSFP will be out in future while there is also Good, Seven etc products as well. The main point of the Treo is flexibility and various options if you don't want to be tied down to one particular technology.

Also btw, BB Connect client for both PalmOS and WM probably will be available anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Also btw, BB Connect client for both PalmOS and WM probably will be available anyway.
    Face it. BB does email the best. But then, that is all it does better than the most mediocre handheld.

When BB Connect becomes available only the diehard BB enthusiasts will keep the single function device.
    Beryl is another one who has never even tried an BB8700c.
    What so funny about all this is that we all know there isn't a way to guarantee you receive any email instantly. They all travel through the wide open internet which can cause some serious delays all by itself. Hell, sometimes you may never get an email. I have my Treo setup to automatically sync my upgraded Yahoo email every 15 minutes. The Yahoo account only cost $20/year and the rest is free. Of course this isn't a solution for large corportions.

I used to be in an industry that was completely full of itself. They thought much like Calman does and all we were shipping were healthcare enrollment packets. Everything was a fire drill for no reason. Getting out of that environment was the best thing that could of happened to me. Calman may want to consider it.

In the end, I have found that for MOST industries, the best business people don't have to scramble to answer an email at a moments notice.

BTW, this was one funny thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    Those of you, Neospazzy and others who are pulling from your exchange mailboxes TODAY with the 700W, do you guys have your exchange server forward facing? No firewall?

I'm considering setting up some sort of internal copy redirection out to fastmail.fm accounts and configuring IMAP..?
    Our Exchange server is behind a Cisco PIX Firewall. SSL (which is a MUST when using RPC over HTTP) and NT Authentications are in place. No anonymous logons allowed and the 700w must be configured with encrypted SSL connection to our server.
    I can't believe that any business would seriously consider the Treo 700w (or the Treo 650) now that the Blackberry 8700c is on the market. Amazing. And you bought 50? Send them back unless the camera is a must. The e-mail client is a joke.

You want instant push e-mail? Get Blackberries!!!
    Now I never bashed on BlackBerry devices and I never mentioned that BB Push Email was a bad thing. The fact that Microsoft is offering Direct PUSH at no charge makes you kinda wonder why you would be paying $44.95 for an email forwarding service and/or $3000+ for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

But who am I to judge? I don't know your business and maybe you do need email on the spot with the work that you do. If that is the case ... more power to you, brother, and your BlackBerry!

For me ... I can wait a few more minutes.
    The $44.95 includes unlimited web and data. T-Mobile does it for $19.95 I believe. It's not that much money although some people may have a problem with it. Microsoft's push mail is free and it doesn't work. You know what you get for nothing of course.

I believe that Treonauts knock Blackberries without realizing that the 8700 represents a total change. I would like to get that message across to business and non-business users.

I know the benefits of a Treo. In fact, my Treo 600 has the best reception of any phone I've owned inclduing the 8700. But this thread started out being about one company's failed attempt to get instant push e-mail on the 700w, and all I'm saying is that the 8700 does that.
    Get the BB or jump off of a bridge.
    The 8700 browser is fantastic. Destroys the 7100, 7130 and 72**. If you haven't tried the 8700 then you are missing something. Don't talk about it if you haven't tried it. It's very fast. EDGE is fast and so is the processor. Much better than Blazer or IE. No comparison at all.

As for comments that instant push email is useless and in fact disadvantageous, you've convinced me. I am going to see if I can find a way to delay the email coming into my BB8700. I now actually want my e-mail delayed by 10 or 15 minutes or even more if possible. Wonderful. Thanks for the insight guys. Yeah, right!

The fact is that my BB8700 has instant push e-mail, and your Treo 700s don't.You should all stop making pathetic excuses for your substandard device. You know you all want instant push email. I don't believe one of you who says he or she doesn't.

I am having real time conversations via my BB8700 email, JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU DO EVERY DAY FROM YOUR DESKTOPS. Would you accept a 10 minute delay on e-mail coming to your desktop guys? Can I hook you up to a lie detector?

I've been using Blackberries for two years and never missed an email. What's all this nonsense about missing emails?

My comments about Earthlink were directed to non-business users. Obviously, many businesses will use BES.

This is all being written on my BB8700. Great keyboard, so much better than the Treo. Did I mention that yet?
    This is obviously a matter of opinion. I wanted to see your claims of a "better" browser, so I took an active SIM and popped it into the 8700c we have here.
    Um...ok? That opinion is your right, but I doubt anyone is going to share it.
    Thanks for all your valuable insight. I was actually considering trying this device.
    Not now. You've been a big help.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    The $44.95 includes unlimited web and data. T-Mobile does it for $19.95 I believe. It's not that much money although some people may have a problem with it. Microsoft's push mail is free and it doesn't work. You know what you get for nothing of course.

I believe that Treonauts knock Blackberries without realizing that the 8700 represents a total change. I would like to get that message across to business and non-business users.

I know the benefits of a Treo. In fact, my Treo 600 has the best reception of any phone I've owned inclduing the 8700. But this thread started out being about one company's failed attempt to get instant push e-mail on the 700w, and all I'm saying is that the 8700 does that.
    Business users, and IT managers, may take this device. It will work for them, and work well. Of course, that's only until NTP's lawsuit puts RIM out of business.
    Yes, I know that's not likely, but you don't think IT personal are worrying about that? You're crazy. I hate MS. I don't own a 700, and I won't, but I understand why PALM made one, and it will sell, regardless of your troll-like opinions on the subject.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    This is obviously a matter of opinion. I wanted to see your claims of a "better" browser, so I took an active SIM and popped it into the 8700c we have here.
    Um...ok? That opinion is your right, but I doubt anyone is going to share it.
    Thanks for all your valuable insight. I was actually considering trying this device.
    Not now. You've been a big help.
    Dr. Doom:

Which device have you decided against? The Treo 700 or the BB8700?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Amen...if I am competing against you for a client and you think you are going to win a contract because you respond to an email 10 minutes faster than I do then I don't know what business you're in, Calman...
    Sales? Service? Any business. The simple fact is that email = asynchronious while phone = synchronious. email = digital "documentation" phone = verbal "ether"....

You know, these things are actually phones too. You can actually SPEAK in REAL TIME to 1 or more persons...that's why these devices were originally invented. Trust me, I don't care how great your BB keyboard is I can talk a helluva lot faster than you can type on it.
    Yes, but I kinda doubt you can review, edit, confirm and commit a *very* expensive Purchase Order with an acceptable "digital paper trail" quite as fast as I can--no matter where I am (and that includes one that just might have to be FAXED to a certain place by a certain time; which I can do with my device). Of course, I am speaking about a setup that supports 100 people all doing the SAME thing, potentially at the same time.

I just don't understand this thread. It was started by someone who obviously prefers the functionality of a BB to that of a Treo 700w and feels the need to run his mouth. Keep in mind that he's never actually used a 700w let alone owned one so why do we continue to indulge him?...
    See, the thread was actually started by a guy who just bought and took delivery on 50 Treos, so apparently you have a pretty severe comprehension problem. That alone is one reason any business dealings I had with you would be through email and fax--definitely NOT verbal. Don't believe me? Go back and read the first post. (See, unless you record ALL your phone calls, you have just demonstrated one of the benefits of email over phone--the ability to review past interactions on a topic.)

...But this thread started out being about one company's failed attempt to get instant push e-mail on the 700w, and all I'm saying is that the 8700 does that.
    But then, you need to offer him some guidance on the implementation and support costs to implement your alternative solution...otherwise, your suggestion is no more useful than saying, "hey, I know, try using telepathy instead!"

I think is has become pretty clear over the course of this thread that no one really knows the added costs...and thus don't appreciate the situation he is in.

Now, granted, he is an ***** for buying the 50 phones in the first place, but, hey, there are a lot of people who let their "fast talking" vendors con them about functionality and service.

So, to answer your (implied) question: "You know what you get for nothing of course."

Yes, advice like yours.
    Last edited by delta_baggage; 01/14/2006 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Why is everybody still responding to this guy(Calman)? This is amazing! He obviously is never going to own a Treo again, so why try and convince him that the Treo is better than the Blackberry? How about you all abandon this thread and go to the other threads that contain ways of improving the device (Treo 700 or Treo 650) that you already love. You are keeping him alive by continouing to post here.

Secondly, why hasn't he been banned yet? I dont know how Treocentral can let someone walk into their store and start selling something else. He really doesnt need to be here. He likes the blackberry, GO TO BLACKBERRY FORUMS. WE like the TREO, WE COME TO TREOCENTRAL. This ain't freedom of speech!!!! I don't think Microsoft will let GOOGLE work into their headquarters to sell them some new software? They'll kick them out because their Headquarters is their private property and no one can be there trying to sell them crap.

Bottom Line, if you leave he'll go away. If he comes into another thread with the same rhetoric, the cheeky little ******* needs to GO!
    Last edited by hova; 01/14/2006 at 01:58 PM.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  16.    #76  
    No, this thread was started by me, Calman has just been hijacking it . Im a Treo650 owner and lover (personally), who is on a quest to remove RIM (Blackberry) from his company. The goal is Blackberry functionality, without the Blackberry Server. Microsoft owns our backoffice, so Im trying to leverage WindowsMobile5 to complete the picture and get the verdamned blackberrys out!

Amen...if I am competing against you for a client and you think you are going to win a contract because you respond to an email 10 minutes faster than I do then I don't know what business you're in, Calman. I guess your BB is on a secure line.

You know, these things are actually phones too. You can actually SPEAK in REAL TIME to 1 or more persons...that's why these devices were originally invented. Trust me, I don't care how great your BB keyboard is I can talk a helluva lot faster than you can type on it.

I just don't understand this thread. It was started by someone who obviously prefers the functionality of a BB to that of a Treo 700w and feels the need to run his mouth. Keep in mind that he's never actually used a 700w let alone owned one so why do we continue to indulge him? He's obviously in high demand, answering his emails at a moment's notice all the while chatting with Earthlink tech support to make sure they don't drop his server. Let's not waste anymore of his time...or ours for that matter.
  17.    #77  
    Wow, lots of people calling me a *******, an *****, etc. Why all the hate? Yes, I ordered (50) Treo700Ws. Understand something, that number is for our test group. You dont even want to know how many blackberrys we have. So, while I was naive to listen to the sales guys, I am not really screwed unless AKU 2.0 is not released for these devices down the road.

My frustration is that Im going to have to stand, yet again, before the Man and explain why we cannot yet test the complete package. These were sold to me as the last remaining piece of the puzzle.

Now, it would be really nice if somebody could give me a suggestion for a way to pseudo-test the functionality and get a few of these 700Ws setup, even if its not with the full on 'Messaging and Security Feature Pack' direct-push functionality. So thank you Neospazzy for your suggestion.
  18.    #78  
    What really sucks is that these all came with number ports off of TMobile (our blackberry carrier) for our test group to Verizon. The only 700W I've activated so far is mine and the number port already happened, so my Blackberry 7105T is dead. My 700W looks really neat, works as a phone, but my communication with work is now lost.

Is there something I can do temporarily over the weekend to get me back in the loop? Any over-the-air sync I can configure? I have to admit, I dunno much about ActiveSync, can I install it on my desktop at work, and have it punch an outbound hole in our firewall to sync this sucker wirelessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    What really sucks is that these all came with number ports off of TMobile (our blackberry carrier) for our test group to Verizon. The only 700W I've activated so far is mine and the number port already happened, so my Blackberry 7105T is dead. My 700W looks really neat, works as a phone, but my communication with work is now lost.

Is there something I can do temporarily over the weekend to get me back in the loop? Any over-the-air sync I can configure? I have to admit, I dunno much about ActiveSync, can I install it on my desktop at work, and have it punch an outbound hole in our firewall to sync this sucker wirelessly?
    If you are running an Exchange backoffice with Exchange 2003 they you are no cut off from work. You need to go into Activesync on the 700w and enter in your server and user information. For most companies the server info is the same address that you use for OWA https://mail.mycompany.com or something like that, then you put in your Active Directory login ifo including your username, domain, and password. Lastly make sure you check the SSL box. This shoud connect your device directly to your Exchange 2003 server and allow you to PULL e-mail down every 5 min.

In addition this setup will also pull down your contacts, calendar, and Tasks that are also stored on the Exchange server. The first place to start is to find out if you have access to OWA and what that URL is.

-Mashie
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Glad to try to help you. But I am not familiar with the term "Number ports". Do you mean the ports that are open on your firewall?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast