Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Well, I can obviously see that using the PUSH service for the BB is viable for people using a public email server like Earthlink (private users or small businesses that can't afford having and hosting their own mail server like Exchange). But I think the direction that MS want to go with their Direct Push is for enterprise class businesses that use Exchange Server.

As a Network Admin for my company for the last 8 years, I would NEVER think about having our emails hosted by public mail servers like Earthlink, Hotmail, etc! I would be fired for displaying a lack of company profile to our customers! If your company isn't using an Exchange Server for emails, then all I mentioned above would not mean anything. Otherwise you can just use the Wireless Sync option with your desktop (that has Outlook configured as the client) and do about the same thing ... and it ain't gonna cost you $44.95 a month to use it either ...
    I agree with jhferry, 7130 E-mail is good, but the BB browser is a piece of junk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    Instant e-mail is essential for business people in this day and age.
    Er....why ? Frankly I don't see the draw of a push e-mail device. As President of a business as well as a professional society with 3,000 members I do a lot of e-mail. But what is the sense of having an e-mail pushed to my mobile device when I am in no position to answer it ? When I have a break in my day at which point I am in a position to answer an e-mail, I will hit the button and retrieve it.

I actually have to spend most of my day accomplishing what I get paid to do. Unless one is a receptionist, the job isn't to immediately answer every phone call that comes in nor return every e-mail 9 seconds after a person sends it.

Frankly if I am doing business with someone and he / she starts pulling out their mobile devices during a meeting or site visit, I will ask them to please have the courtesy to turn their devices off....mine is. My time comes at a price and i don't want it interupted with peeps checking to see if their sweetie wants them to bring home milk and bread.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Frankly if I am doing business with someone and he / she starts pulling out their mobile devices during a meeting or site visit, I will ask them to please have the courtesy to turn their devices off....mine is. My time comes at a price and i don't want it interupted with peeps checking to see if their sweetie wants them to bring home milk and bread.
    Perhaps business has different requirements than mine and some others here.

I'm in a Fortune 50 company and do business with the same. My customers expect our executives and even middle management peons (like me) to check our devices even in meetings. When they are notified of a outage that have $$$ impact, they expect us to make note of it -- right then.

Yeah, the occasional "meet me for dinner" text message come through but as long as it is not abused, that comes with offering our employees some work/life balance and allowing them to use personally owned equipment on the job.

I'm not saying that 5 or 10 minute delivery time is unacceptable for me but for some of the people who report to me, I'm not so sure. That is why most of them still use text pagers.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    To run MS's pure "Push" email, versus todays SMS triggered delivery, you need several things. 1.) A device with WM5; 2.) Exchange 2003, Service Pack 2; 3.) Mobile Administration Pack on the Exchange Server; and 4.) MS Feature and Security Pack.

Items 1, 2 and 3 are available today. The Feature and Security Pack (AKU 2.0) was released to the manufacturers in mid-November. It is up to them to roll it into their individual ROM's and release it to their customers.

IMHO, Treo wanted to make a splash in the market with an on-time release for the 700w and elected to be like everyone else and just make AKU ROM available for download when they are finished tweaking it. Bill Gates was probably using an early beta of the ROM for the demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiOn1
    I have mine set-up the same way...except that instead of syncing every X minutes - it syncs whenever I get a new email message - with it setup like that it syncs everytime I get a new email message and it's a close to push as it comes. Everything I do in the Treo (calendar updates, contacts,reply to mail,etc.) is virtually instantly reflected on my desktop.
    SkiOn1 is right. There is a setting in the 700w Activesync that allows you to sync as soon as email get delivered to your inbox. To change this setting in your 700w, go to Start -> Programs -> Activesync -> Menu -> Schedule. You can then change the Peak Time and Off-Peak times to "As Items Arrive".

The only caveat is that to use the "As Items Arrive" function, is that you must supply your TXT message email address for your phone. I am not sure (and correct me if I am wrong), but you may get charged for TXT messages recieved. This is closer to true PUSH until Direct Push gets released with MSFP.

I was under the impression that when a situation calls for immediate attention or emergency, the "phone" feature works wonders. Best of all, this feature is built into all cell phones, VOIP phones, and regular land-line phones!
    Do you really want to call 15 people and tell them what you need from them?
    then have 15 people call you back....forget that....

that is what email is for....
    The 8700 browser is fantastic. Destroys the 7100, 7130 and 72**. If you haven't tried the 8700 then you are missing something. Don't talk about it if you haven't tried it. It's very fast. EDGE is fast and so is the processor. Much better than Blazer or IE. No comparison at all.

As for comments that instant push email is useless and in fact disadvantageous, you've convinced me. I am going to see if I can find a way to delay the email coming into my BB8700. I now actually want my e-mail delayed by 10 or 15 minutes or even more if possible. Wonderful. Thanks for the insight guys. Yeah, right!

The fact is that my BB8700 has instant push e-mail, and your Treo 700s don't.You should all stop making pathetic excuses for your substandard device. You know you all want instant push email. I don't believe one of you who says he or she doesn't.

I am having real time conversations via my BB8700 email, JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU DO EVERY DAY FROM YOUR DESKTOPS. Would you accept a 10 minute delay on e-mail coming to your desktop guys? Can I hook you up to a lie detector?

I've been using Blackberries for two years and never missed an email. What's all this nonsense about missing emails?

My comments about Earthlink were directed to non-business users. Obviously, many businesses will use BES.

This is all being written on my BB8700. Great keyboard, so much better than the Treo. Did I mention that yet?
    Last edited by Calman; 01/13/2006 at 07:38 PM.
  9.    #49  
    Those of you, Neospazzy and others who are pulling from your exchange mailboxes TODAY with the 700W, do you guys have your exchange server forward facing? No firewall?

I'm considering setting up some sort of internal copy redirection out to fastmail.fm accounts and configuring IMAP..?
    The 8700 browser is fantastic. Destroys the 7100, 7130 and 72**. If you haven't tried the 8700 then you are missing something. Don't talk about it if you haven't tried it. It's very fast. EDGE is fast and so is the processor. Much better than Blazer or IE. No comparison at all.

As for comments that instant push email is useless and in fact disadvantageous, you've convinced me. I am going to see if I can find a way to delay the email coming into my BB8700. I now actually want my e-mail delayed by 10 or 15 minutes or even more if possible. Wonderful. Thanks for the insight guys. Yeah, right!

The fact is that my BB8700 has instant push e-mail, and your Treo 700s don't.You should all stop making pathetic excuses for your substandard device. You know you all want instant push email. I don't believe one of you who says he or she doesn't.

I am having real time conversations via my BB8700 email, JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU DO EVERY DAY FROM YOUR DESKTOPS. Would you accept a 10 minute delay on e-mail coming to your desktop guys? Can I hook you up to a lie detector?

I've been using Blackberries for two years and never missed an email. What's all this nonsense about missing emails?

My comments about Earthlink were directed to non-business users. Obviously, many businesses will use BES.

This is all being written on my BB8700. Great keyboard, so much better than the Treo. Did I mention that yet?
    The 8700 browser "is" better then the 7100 and 72XX....but it is crap compared to the Treo. I know from personal experience. Pull up CNN on a Treo and look at the hack job the 8700 makes of the same page. It is a nightmare to navigate. As I said much better then other BB's but not in the same class as a Treo.
    CNN looks perfect to me. I just downloaded it on my 8700.
    Last edited by Calman; 01/13/2006 at 07:52 PM.
    I like the camera on my Treo 650, but it's a luxury, not a business necessity. Want digital pictures? Use a digital camera. A 5 MP digicam like Sony makes is perfect and fits in a shirt pocket. Pics will be better than anything taken with a phone cam. The Blackberry kicks **** for email, and if you have the BES setup at work then your capabilities go up about 5-fold. What I didn't like about the Blackberry was the lack of storage. Need to keep a bunch of files on hand? A few .pdf documents, maybe a picture or two? You get a grand total of 64 MB with a Blackberry. And the older units had either 16 MB or 32 MB. It's just not enough. The lack of an SD slot or some other storage media slot hamstrings the BB in my opinion. The new 8700 is a sweet email and calendar device, but falls short for my needs. Another thing I've come to love about my Treo, and a major reason why I ditched the Blackberry for it, is how customizable the Treo is with about a gazillion third-party apps. Blackberry has a growing developer community, but it's still in it's infancy.
    QUICK WE NEED A GARLIC NECKLACE...isn't that what they did in the old Lon cheney movies. LOL Jay

I can't believe that any business would seriously consider the Treo 700w (or the Treo 650) now that the Blackberry 8700c is on the market. Amazing. And you bought 50? Send them back unless the camera is a must. The e-mail client is a joke.

You want instant push e-mail? Get Blackberries!!!

I read this forum just for fun. I am a former Treo 600 and 650 owner. I can't believe that any business people are still buying Treos unless it is for the camera. (Real estate agents, etc.) Blackberries destroy Treos as a serious business tool.

Flame me if you like (I'm sure many of you will) but if you haven't experienced the 8700c, then you don't know what you're talking about. The 8700c is 100% reliable, never crashes or resets, and is excellent in every way.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    One thing I miss from my Blackberry is the scroll wheel on the side. I though it was very awkward at first but once I got used to it things changed. It makes one-handed operation simple and sure. It became second nature to me and completely intuitive. I'd replace the 4-way button on my Treo with the scroll wheel in a heartbeat if it was possible.
    Only an ***** buys 50 phones without SEEING direct push with his own eyes--on his own network and equipment. Period.

Only an ***** buys 50 phones without reviewing the release notes of the device...the specific lack of Direct Push was PUBLICLY NOTED on Jan 4th...(I actually submitted the issue to Slashdot on that day, but for some strange reason, they apparently didn't think it newsworthy. In fact, I spent several hours submitting the news to every mobile/gadget site around...because, see, I thought it was a huge story. No one bit.

But hey, just for the record, I stuffed the slashdot submission into the comments of Engadget's Gates CES keynote coverage that very day--see for yourself:

http://features.engadget.com/2006/01...note/2#c898687

And, I stuck on Gizmodo's blurb too(!):

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellph...550.php#c33588

Dang but the innernets is a wild and wooly place...full of co-opted shills for major corporations that go around posing as tech journalists.

So hey, sorry about your 50 phones, I at least tried to prevent you from making that mistake.

The only solace I can offer you? Your not that earthlinked Calman guy.
    Flame me if you like (I'm sure many of you will) but if you haven't experienced the 8700c, then you don't know what you're talking about. The 8700c is 100% reliable, never crashes or resets, and is excellent in every way.
    Don't have the energy or interest to flame you, Calman. In fact, I agree that not only BB devices have improved but there is a lot more add-on software available. Still not enough to avoid having to carry multiple devices, IMO. Maybe in another year or so.
    Yes, you have to buy the Word and Excel programs. What else do you need (apart from a camera)?
    OUT OF THE BOX
    PDF viewer?
    Powerpoint viewer?
    MP3 Player?
    Video playback?
    eBook reader?

ADDITIONAL EXPENSE
    GPS/Navigation?
    Voice activation?

Hmmm ... might be more needs out there than push email and a camera.
    CNN looks perfect to me. I just downloaded it on my 8700.
    If you get a chance look at the same page on a Treo and you will know what I am talking about. Yes you can get to CNN on the 8700 but navigating the sight is a pain compared to the Treo.

That being said...I really liked my 8700 but in the end was giving up way too much to consider it a replacement for my Treo. It would have been a step backward...not a significant step but still going in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Er....why ? Frankly I don't see the draw of a push e-mail device. As President of a business as well as a professional society with 3,000 members I do a lot of e-mail. But what is the sense of having an e-mail pushed to my mobile device when I am in no position to answer it ? When I have a break in my day at which point I am in a position to answer an e-mail, I will hit the button and retrieve it.

I actually have to spend most of my day accomplishing what I get paid to do. Unless one is a receptionist, the job isn't to immediately answer every phone call that comes in nor return every e-mail 9 seconds after a person sends it.

Amen...if I am competing against you for a client and you think you are going to win a contract because you respond to an email 10 minutes faster than I do then I don't know what business you're in, Calman. I guess your BB is on a secure line.

You know, these things are actually phones too. You can actually SPEAK in REAL TIME to 1 or more persons...that's why these devices were originally invented. Trust me, I don't care how great your BB keyboard is I can talk a helluva lot faster than you can type on it.

I just don't understand this thread. It was started by someone who obviously prefers the functionality of a BB to that of a Treo 700w and feels the need to run his mouth. Keep in mind that he's never actually used a 700w let alone owned one so why do we continue to indulge him? He's obviously in high demand, answering his emails at a moment's notice all the while chatting with Earthlink tech support to make sure they don't drop his server. Let's not waste anymore of his time...or ours for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Amen...if I am competing against you for a client and you think you are going to win a contract because you respond to an email 10 minutes faster than I do then I don't know what business you're in, Calman. I guess your BB is on a secure line.

You know, these things are actually phones too. You can actually SPEAK in REAL TIME to 1 or more persons...that's why these devices were originally invented. Trust me, I don't care how great your BB keyboard is I can talk a helluva lot faster than you can type on it.

I just don't understand this thread. It was started by someone who obviously prefers the functionality of a BB to that of a Treo 700w and feels the need to run his mouth. Keep in mind that he's never actually used a 700w let alone owned one so why do we continue to indulge him? He's obviously in high demand, answering his emails at a moment's notice all the while chatting with Earthlink tech support to make sure they don't drop his server. Let's not waste anymore of his time...or ours for that matter.
    I second the Amen and will now be ignoring this post.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast