Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    We've been jumping through all of Microsofts hoops with the goal being to rip RIM out of our organization. I know it will eventually come, but it was our MS rep that told us to get this phone pointing out the keynote by Gates at CES and that it was the phone that Gates uses personally. Its just another stall in a line of stalls. We have the ISA server, upgraded our Firewall to get a DMZ with the specifics they requested, added a Front End EXCH03 server, re-prioritized projects when SP2 for EXCH03 released, its just Hurry up, ok now wait... now Hurry up!!!!! ok wait.... HURRY UP!!! Oh.. wait a bit more.. Meanwhile we are justifying expenditures of money, IT resource time to the higher ups and have to go in and explain why they still have their horrible brokeberry technology after all this expenditure.

Thanks again Microsoft. Luvin you, meanin it.
  2.    #22  
    And for the first holier-than-thou poster that tried to shift blame to me for not doing my homework... I manage a 26 node network buddy, try to keep on top of near a hundred different technologies, I can't afford to spend the time to be an expert on everything. The net is abuzz (got google?) with people surprised and miffed about the AKU 2.0 omission with the T700W, not just me.

oh.. this is where I do this: ~info
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    And for the first holier-than-thou poster that tried to shift blame to me for not doing my homework... I manage a 26 node network buddy, try to keep on top of near a hundred different technologies, I can't afford to spend the time to be an expert on everything. The net is abuzz (got google?) with people surprised and miffed about the AKU 2.0 omission with the T700W, not just me.

oh.. this is where I do this: ~info
    IMO business is about taking risks.....it seems to me you did some homework and took the risk that the MS functionality would be there based on investigation. Good luck and hopefully MS will deliver sooner then later for you and all of the other frustrated 700 owners.
    Calman,

Get a blackberry, and don't come here again.
    Check out:

http://www.dynoplex.com/eOffice.shtml

eword and eoffice for the blackberry. Works great! $60 for eword alone. Sorry if you can't afford it.
    BuckZor:

What's wrong with the Blackberry 8700? Have you checked it out? It's streets ahead of the 71**/72**. Has there been a problem with RIM?

Also the UI for the email client on Windows 5.0 seems to me to be terrible. Too many steps to get what you want. Or maybe you don't agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman
    Check out:

http://www.dynoplex.com/eOffice.shtml

eword and eoffice for the blackberry. Works great! $60 for eword alone. Sorry if you can't afford it.
    A better comparison would be "using" the functionality to create/edit a word, Excel or in the case of the Treo ( and not the BB ) Powerpoint. I know from experience that this is TREMENDOUSLY easier on a Treo.
    I have setup my Treo 700w to sync up with our company's Exchange Server 2003 SP2. I am able to recieve email, send email, save drafts, download attachments, add/delete contacts, add/edit calendar items, etc using the built-in mail program on the device. Best part about it is that all the changes are reflected on the server. Hence my Outlook 2003 that is on my workstation in my office will also reflect those changes since my mailbox is in the Exchange Mailbox Store. So all the emails that I downloaded and emails that I composed or replied to on my Treo are also found on the Inbox/Sent Items (respectively) in my Outlook! I couldn't do that in the past with my older devices that was configured with POP (I was only able to download messages, but emails I composed/replied were not reflected on the server).

Now this assumes that all your company emails are stored in the mailbox store of the Exchange Server. I configured all of our field sales rep's Outlook 2003 to use RPC over HTTP with our Exchange 2003 Server and cached mode for their mailbox, they are ready if they want to go the Treo route. If you configured your Outlook to download all messages to a Personal Folder File on your local hard drive (including your contacts and calendars), then you are SOOL. Wireless Sync would be your only option.

With the Unlimited Wireless Data plan with EVDO, I can Activesync with the Exchange server ANYWHERE! The fact that when I get back to the office and ALL the stuff I did on the Treo are refected in Outlook (and vice versa) ... is priceless. Best of all, I didn't need to purchase additional software for my Exchange Server to make this all work.

While this setup isn't really a true PUSH solution where mail is transferred instantly to your mobile device, it is a great alternative! Also having the 700w perform an over-the-air activesync with Exchange every 10 minutes during business hours will always ensure that my device will look for new messages six times per hour. Sending emails on the Treo 700w are usually instant and will perform an activesync during the process.

I will agree that MS should have released MSFP when the Treo 700w got released. The security feature that is built-in (Device Swipe) looks like an very invaluable tool, especially if the device gets lost or stolen. I guess we just have to wait and see upon its release. Until then, the current configuration is just fine in my opinion.
    Calman,

I dont know why your having such a hard time understanding this, but most corporations (I work for a very large one) needs to host their own exchange servers. This is no way we are going to let Cingular (or any other carrier) be resposible for our blackberry infrastructure. While we need their networks, our servers must be in house. This is where the advantages of the Microsoft soulution really are welcome and can be very cost effective.

By the way paying $60 a device for office apps is alot.

As for those of you wondering where the MSFP patch is, I can tell you I hear my company is doing a demo with MS later this month. My tech guys have asked them when it will be released and have gotton no answer. Since it has been released in Asia, I think you can probably guess the delay here has to do with the Visto lawsuit. Who knows though, Microsoft has done a bad job of keeping people informed.
    Neospazzy: Employees accustomed to instant push e-mail may not be too happy with a search for messages every ten minutes. Instant e-mail on the BB is like instant messaging or SMS. Waiting ten minutes is a very big deal for some people, including me.
    mobileman: So what's wrong with the Blackberry Exchange Server?
    So what's wrong with the Blackberry Exchange Server?
    Cost. Cost to use the Blackberry service from my provider. Cost to purchase the Rim maintenance plan.

Additional point of failures. Each email goes over the RIM network.
    Waiting ten minutes is a very big deal for some people, including me.
    Try not to overstate your own self-importance, Calman. I seriously doubt that your email involves life or death or national security (and if it does, that's not exactly the most efficient way to get in touch with you, now is it?), especially since you are at Cingular's mercy with email delivery.

Waiting 10 minutes for email isn't a big deal for you, no matter what you'd like other people to think.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    mobileman: So what's wrong with the Blackberry Exchange Server?
    Its Blackberry Enterprise Server not Blackberry Exchange Server.

One of the biggest benefits to MS's Direct Push over BES is that you eliminate the third party. Even with BES your emails go through the central RIM servers hosted in Canada.

On top of everything else the per user licensing cost associated with BES is about $1000 for every 5 users.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Try not to overstate your own self-importance, Calman. I seriously doubt that your email involves life or death or national security (and if it does, that's not exactly the most efficient way to get in touch with you, now is it?), especially since you are at Cingular's mercy with email delivery.

Waiting 10 minutes for email isn't a big deal for you, no matter what you'd like other people to think.

I agree....I mean I have Activesync pulling mine down every 5 minutes and that keeps me more connected then I really need to be. I cannot imagine anyting in the last 16 years I have been with my company that I needed to know every instant what was being dumped into my inbox. 5, 10 or 15 minutes is not going to be the end of the world if I reply back then. And in most cases I doubt the e-mails being pushed down require you to respond back immediatly. ( unless as stated by jmill you are the guy in charge of strategic air command for the US )
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I agree....I mean I have Activesync pulling mine down every 5 minutes and that keeps me more connected then I really need to be. I cannot imagine anyting in the last 16 years I have been with my company that I needed to know every instant what was being dumped into my inbox. 5, 10 or 15 minutes is not going to be the end of the world if I reply back then. And in most cases I doubt the e-mails being pushed down require you to respond back immediatly. ( unless as stated by jmill you are the guy in charge of strategic air command for the US )
    You would think that if someone needed an immediate response from you, they'd call you, right? Not send it from their desktop to their Exchange server, to his Earthlink account, auto-forwarded to his Cingular account, and then pushed to his phone. Sounds efficient, and in no way in any danger of being undeliverable due to a break in the process.

I can see it now.....

Air Force Grunt at NORAD: Sir! The North Koreans have launched a nuclear missle at Los Angeles! What should we do?
    Air Force Colonel: Well, for God's sake, email Calman and see what he thinks we should do! He's got push email to his fancy-schmancy Blackberry, he should have an answer back to us in 3 to 5 minutes!
    Grunt: Sir, the missle will be here in no more than 4 minutes.
    Colonel: Well, pray that Cingular gets that email to him soon! The world is in their hands now!

I think he can wait the 10 minutes.
    I'm back!
    Cingular provides the Blackberry service for $44.95 per month. I use Earthlink e-mail. I just set my Earthlink e-mail to send a copy of all my e-mail to my Cingular/Blackberry e-mail address and it appears on my BB 8700c instantly. Repeat: All e-mails arrive on my Blackberry as soon as they are sent - automatically. Beautiful!

Incidentally, the Blackberry service has the best e-mail filter on the planet. I can prevent all e-mail containing a particular word or set of words, or from a pareticular sender, reaching my Blackberry.

Yes, you have to buy the Word and Excel programs. What else do you need (apart from a camera)?

The guy who bought 50 Treo 700s for his company made a big mistake. Instant e-mail is essential for business people in this day and age. And he can't get it with his Treo 700s unless he has a special server set up! It's the Treo 700 that needs the special infrastructure and expense, not the Blackberry. Blackberry push instant e-mail works right out of the box for ordinary folks. So there!
    Wow. Phenomenal. I was lost, but now I see. Of course, the setup you're describing is also possible on a Treo, a PPC, or even my girlfriend's freakin' Sanyo for God's sake! That's not true push email, nor is it a viable option for any true business customer. If it were, the Versamail program on the Treo 650 would've been fine.
    Jesus, it's like talking to a styrofoam cup.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You would think that if someone needed an immediate response from you, they'd call you, right? Not send it from their desktop to their Exchange server, to his Earthlink account, auto-forwarded to his Cingular account, and then pushed to his phone. Sounds efficient, and in no way in any danger of being undeliverable due to a break in the process.

I can see it now.....

Air Force Grunt at NORAD: Sir! The North Koreans have launched a nuclear missle at Los Angeles! What should we do?
    Air Force Colonel: Well, for God's sake, email Calman and see what he thinks we should do! He's got push email to his fancy-schmancy Blackberry, he should have an answer back to us in 3 to 5 minutes!
    Grunt: Sir, the missle will be here in no more than 4 minutes.
    Colonel: Well, pray that Cingular gets that email to him soon! The world is in their hands now!

I think he can wait the 10 minutes.
    One of the funniest posts I have read in a long time!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Well I can tell you that I agree with anyone who is pissed over this. I have BES and an Exchange mobile environment. My execs here are phone freaks so it doesnt help when I have to convince them that there is no push on the 700w. Especially when verizon reps say otherwise using their wireless sync. Blackberry is a better email device but the document viewing unless very simple stinks. Anything with tables and you cant read the doc. The 7130 has a better speaker phone, the treo is much faster browsing. BB's browser is horrible. I wanted a way to get MS mobiles in here but I look like an ***** and now nobody believes me because of MS again.

BTW, im wondering about the treo having to make a connection everytime you go out on the internet. Im starting to think with bluetooth enables as well as a permanent data connection your battery would die after a phone call.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neospazzy
    I have setup my Treo 700w to sync up with our company's Exchange Server 2003 SP2. I am able to recieve email, send email, save drafts, download attachments, add/delete contacts, add/edit calendar items, etc using the built-in mail program on the device. Best part about it is that all the changes are reflected on the server. Hence my Outlook 2003 that is on my workstation in my office will also reflect those changes since my mailbox is in the Exchange Mailbox Store. So all the emails that I downloaded and emails that I composed or replied to on my Treo are also found on the Inbox/Sent Items (respectively) in my Outlook! I couldn't do that in the past with my older devices that was configured with POP (I was only able to download messages, but emails I composed/replied were not reflected on the server).

Now this assumes that all your company emails are stored in the mailbox store of the Exchange Server. I configured all of our field sales rep's Outlook 2003 to use RPC over HTTP with our Exchange 2003 Server and cached mode for their mailbox, they are ready if they want to go the Treo route. If you configured your Outlook to download all messages to a Personal Folder File on your local hard drive (including your contacts and calendars), then you are SOOL. Wireless Sync would be your only option.

With the Unlimited Wireless Data plan with EVDO, I can Activesync with the Exchange server ANYWHERE! The fact that when I get back to the office and ALL the stuff I did on the Treo are refected in Outlook (and vice versa) ... is priceless. Best of all, I didn't need to purchase additional software for my Exchange Server to make this all work.

While this setup isn't really a true PUSH solution where mail is transferred instantly to your mobile device, it is a great alternative! Also having the 700w perform an over-the-air activesync with Exchange every 10 minutes during business hours will always ensure that my device will look for new messages six times per hour. Sending emails on the Treo 700w are usually instant and will perform an activesync during the process.

I will agree that MS should have released MSFP when the Treo 700w got released. The security feature that is built-in (Device Swipe) looks like an very invaluable tool, especially if the device gets lost or stolen. I guess we just have to wait and see upon its release. Until then, the current configuration is just fine in my opinion.
    I have mine set-up the same way...except that instead of syncing every X minutes - it syncs whenever I get a new email message - with it setup like that it syncs everytime I get a new email message and it's a close to push as it comes. Everything I do in the Treo (calendar updates, contacts,reply to mail,etc.) is virtually instantly reflected on my desktop.

buckZor should have no problems setting this up all his 50 users as long as they store the exchange mailboxes on the server.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast