1.    #1  
    some excerpts from this website's own review! enjoy!

One important fact to remember throughout this review is that the Treo 700w is targeted not as an upgrade to existing Palm users, but as a product for Palm to sell to entire new markets of Windows Mobile users.

We feel that the 700w is a great machine. Sure, there are some things that needs improvement (more consistent 5-way support, less tapping to accomplish actions, threaded SMS... more on it later), but we have to remember that this is Palm’s first experience with Windows Mobile. As expected, the hardware being on the 6th generation is excellent; it is the software that needs some additional usability tweaking.

The Treo 650 was not created overnight (see the Trip down memory lane article), and it will take Palm some time to incorporate the usability lesson learned from the previous products into the Windows Mobile platform. They have a good start. We feel that Windows Mobile offers a contemporary and stable platform for the Treo to grow, and with future usability tweaks it will make an even greater solution.

The Treo 700w represents two step forwards, and one large step back. That said, it is clear to me that net net, the Treo 700w offers significant hardware (EVDO) and software improvements (Today Screen, Email, Multimedia) over the Treo 650.

The Treo 700w is an excellent Windows Mobile device, likely the best that has ever been produced. Windows Mobile users will love it, IT departments who only use Windows will love it, but Palm users may want to stick to their current Treo 650. For Treo 650 owners, it is hard to justify the cost (twice as much with contracts), and Palm users above all others will be aware and frustrated with usability problems in Windows Mobile.

The Treo 700w was created to specifically address a demand in the marketplace for a Windows Treo, and Palm did an excellent job on their first try. It only takes a trip down memory lane to remember that the Palm OS Treo was not perfect at launch either.

---i think it's safe to say that it's ok to go out and buy one.

regards
    1. No real skype
    2. Poor memory
    3. No true push email though it iis EVDO (which sort of sucks)
    4. no threaded sms
    5. poor display

so indeed two steps forward and three back...
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    1. No real skype
    2. Poor memory
    4. no threaded sms
    5. poor display

1. Um, I'm pretty sure they have a WM5 version of Skype...I just saw it on their website. Also there are a couple of threads on using Skype on the 700w in this forum.
    2. Same RAM as 650, much more ROM, although 64 mb RAM would have been nice
    3. Push email coming soon
    4. This is true but I'm sure a 3rd party app or Reg hack will fix this
    5. I wouldn't say "poor display", I would say "weaker" display. The display is actually very good

Let's not forget:

1. Much better camera
    2. Much, much faster operation
    3. More rated talk time
    4. Bluetooth 1.2
    5. Processor with onboard memory
    6. Much more robust, multi-tasking software (still a bit buggy though)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    1. Um, I'm pretty sure they have a WM5 version of Skype...I just saw it on their website. Also there are a couple of threads on using Skype on the 700w in this forum.
    2. Same RAM as 650, much more ROM, although 64 mb RAM would have been nice
    3. Push email coming soon
    4. This is true but I'm sure a 3rd party app or Reg hack will fix this
    5. I wouldn't say "poor display", I would say "weaker" display. The display is actually very good

Let's not forget:

1. Much better camera
    2. Much, much faster operation
    3. More rated talk time
    4. Bluetooth 1.2
    5. Processor with onboard memory
    6. Much more robust, multi-tasking software (still a bit buggy though)
    the problem is NOT with skype but with verizon..the latency kicks in because of bandwidth asymmetry..and skype has a pocketpc version (does not yet say windows mobile there)..

stand corrected on the display

everyone is questioning the much faster operation and talk time.
    Last edited by athreya; 01/13/2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    1. No real skype
    2. Poor memory
    4. no threaded sms
    5. poor display

The 650 does not include push email (though you can get it through third parties). It has poor memory as well and was even worse when first released. I didn't know the 650 could have Skype. The threaded SMS is something I really have missed since I gave up the 650 last year, but I've learned to live with it.

But, the 700w is definitely a better device. It is just not something that dedicated Palm OS fans wanted, nor are they willing to concede any advantage to it. It is too bad...people really are closed-minded on so much...even fairly trivial things like this.

Most important is that Windows Mobile is prettier. Pretty is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    The 650 does not include push email (though you can get it through third parties). It has poor memory as well and was even worse when first released. I didn't know the 650 could have Skype. The threaded SMS is something I really have missed since I gave up the 650 last year, but I've learned to live with it.

But, the 700w is definitely a better device. It is just not something that dedicated Palm OS fans wanted, nor are they willing to concede any advantage to it. It is too bad...people really are closed-minded on so much...even fairly trivial things like this.

Most important is that Windows Mobile is prettier. Pretty is good.

my idea was NOT to compare it with the 650 but to list out the pros and cons of the 700 per se.