Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1. heckj's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
       #1  
    I find it funny that people are complaining that they dont have enought memory to run programs. The only reason you are running low is because you have multiple programs running, something that you couldn't do on the 600 and 650. So to me, having the ability to run multiple programs, whether its just 2 or 3, this is a huge plus. I love my 700 and would never go back to the palm os. I wouldn't say I'm biased since I have a mac, and hate windows machines.
  2. #2  
    And you need enough RAM to run multiple programs or what good is it? The functional standard is 64RAM for WM. 6700 owners don't complain of running out of memory.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #3  
    No, I would never go back, once you go T700w you will never go back to a T650. I cannot see what are all the complaints about that people are posting on this is about. Remember, the T650 did not come out of the box extraordinary great, there has been 2 upgrades plus a free 128 SD memory upgrade.

    If the 240x240 is so bad then why does it looks better than the T650 out of the box? Just look at the photos posted. The real only difference I’ve seen because I have both the T700w & the T650 is when you look at the browsers and going to the same web page, you can read the fine print words better in the T650 but it could actually be the rendering of IE verses Blazer, Blazer does a better job. Opera suppose to have a version for Mobile 5 soon.

    EDVO is hot! No comparison! My service for unlimited is $30 not $49.95 that I am paying for T650 service. Oh yea, I have both phones right now for 2 more months so that I don’t pay the cancellation fees.

    Memory problems are not a problem to me with T700w. The T650 can never or will ever be able to run as many programs at one time verses the T700w. I can open my Bible program, Word, SMS, IE and listen to my 2GB of music at the same time. I can listen to music and open another program with T650 but that’s it, maxed out. If that going backwards then Windows98se is better than WindowsXP… go figure…

    There is clarity now. The echo’s are gone… No more echo’s. It was the phone, T650. I had to buy software to hear! That’s crazy, VolumeCare was the solution. Those are petty things T650 loyalist won’t or will not admit.

    How about the random reboots in the T650? Honestly, I had the same lock-ups in T750 but I did a hard reset and it solved that problem, no freeze ups in 2 days.

    I am a power user of Palm and I actually wrote a few small programs for T650, now I will write a few programs for the T700w. I have bought several programs to help out the T650 times 2 because my wife and I have the T650.

    • My Bible – $24.99
    • MobiTV – $39.95 or $9.95 monthly
    • KeyCaps – Free
    • KB Lights – Free
    • VolumeCare Pro – $19.95
    • Technician – $9.95
    • SplashID – $29.95
    • Pocket Tunes Deluxe – $34.95
    • TAKEphONE – $19.95

    Plus don't forget - Voice Command rules!! Not comparison hands down.

    My wife has had Tmobile SideKick I & II, but she loves her T650, she listens to classical music all day at work with her Seido Desk Charger with her Bose Desk speakers. She don’t want to search the web or do anything on my T700w because she is loyal to palm, granted she has a DELL AXIM X30 with 624Mhz that she checks her mail with because T650 doesn’t do it like a pocketpc can, so she says. But I showed her all my emails were on the T700w through ActiveSync, she is jealous, she might change her mind later.

    In conclusion, NO, I would NEVER go back. I started with Mac, now WindowsXP. Bill Gates products are like crack and I'm addicted.
    Sprint Kyocera QCP 6035 -> T-Mobile Motorola V600 -> T-Mobile PocketPC -> T-Mobile HP6315 -> T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t -> T-Mobile Treo 600 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> Verizon Treo 650 -> Treo700w -> Treo 700wx/Treo700p -> BlackBerry 8830
  4. heckj's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
       #4  
    Greate post. I agree, I've got multiple programs running with no slow downs, something I could never do on my 600. I love how people get a new phone, which is obviously an upgrade over the palm os, and than push it to its max and say it can't handle what I'm trying to do.
  5. #5  
    remember folks, all you have to do to close programs is hold down the "ok" key and stop those programs you don't need running in the background.

    it's not that hard.

    regards
  6. ucsdsig's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    #6  
    Count me in as a satisfied 700w owner. Since last summer, I've been using a 650 provided to me by my employer. I remember when the 650 was released, there were tons of threads complaining about the device. But I've had no major problems, and it's matured into a pretty stable device.

    In all honesty, I've grown up using Windows, so I prefer the Windows interface. I considered the Samsung i730, but found it way too bulky for my tastes. So when the 700w became available, I was definitely interested.

    I've had the 700w for about a week now and it's a keeper. I compared the 650 and 700 displays and there wasn't a real noticable difference IMO. The WM 5.0 interface is radically different than my 650, but I've adapted pretty quickly. The improved camera isn't a big deal to me, I'll stick to my Canon for my digital photo needs. However, EVDO is a huge improvement. Now that I've been spoiled by EVDO, I can't imaging ever going back.

    I've seen all the complaints about memory. I haven't run into any problems yet. Would 64 MB of RAM be nice? Of course it would. But I tend to keep only two or three applications open at a time and have never run into a problem yet. I do choose to soft-reset ever few days, but that isn't a big deal. Shoot, I reboot my home computer every day. I'm waiting on installing Goodlink software until the 700w is officially supported. The IT guys tell me it should be relatively soon.

    For me, the 700w was an easy choice. I was up for a NE2 discount from Verzion. So my price was $499 - $100 (NE2) - $100 (unlimited data discount). The 700w was definitely worth $299 to me, and I probably would have paid more for it.

    I'm sure many will continue to nitpick and criticize the 700w. That's fine, there really is no perfect device, and there is always something better, faster, and cheaper around the corner. However, I'm sure the next generation Treo will also have it's fair share of critics. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy my 700w.
  7. #7  
    Apparantely Lady Treo you not have a Treo 700w because holding down the OK key does close ONE or ALL just as ctl-alt-del brings up Task Manager in WindowsXP, we have choices.

    WiFi? Who needs it when EDVO is just as fast in most cases? There is more cost having WiFi. My wife uses Dell Axim X3 624Mhz to check her email in the house and I can check mine on my Treo750w at the same time and our email usually finishes around the same time and that's downloading around 150 emails.

    Lady Treo why is your name Lady Treo and all you do bad mouth Treo700w? If you don't like it, ok cool but to talk as if you have authority on the subject and you don't have one aweful. A lot of so-called writers will eat their words once they get over it's not PALM, it's Microsoft Mobile 5.
    Sprint Kyocera QCP 6035 -> T-Mobile Motorola V600 -> T-Mobile PocketPC -> T-Mobile HP6315 -> T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t -> T-Mobile Treo 600 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> Verizon Treo 650 -> Treo700w -> Treo 700wx/Treo700p -> BlackBerry 8830
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Once again, that only minimizes the program. It still runs in the background. You have to manually stop them, unless you have 3rd party software. On 64RAM, this is not so much of a problem however.
    I don't think that's right. Just clicking "OK" with a running program minimizes it, but holding down "OK" gets you a task manager where you can actually shut the program down.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjerome
    Apparantely Lady Treo you not have a Treo 700w because holding down the OK key does close ONE or ALL just as ctl-alt-del brings up Task Manager in WindowsXP, we have choices.

    WiFi? Who needs it when EDVO is just as fast in most cases? There is more cost having WiFi. My wife uses Dell Axim X3 624Mhz to check her email in the house and I can check mine on my Treo750w at the same time and our email usually finishes around the same time and that's downloading around 150 emails.

    Lady Treo why is your name Lady Treo and all you do bad mouth Treo700w? If you don't like it, ok cool but to talk as if you have authority on the subject and you don't have one aweful. A lot of so-called writers will eat their words once they get over it's not PALM, it's Microsoft Mobile 5.

    IT"S ABOUT TIME! thank you!!! my Lord!
  10. #10  
    OK, I'll see if it works on the WM5 device I have.

    To Jerome, it's the 650 I like. Look at my sign up date. There was NO 700w at the time. I also believe there are much better WM5 devices out there. And remember, everyone doesn't use Verizon, so EVDO is useless to GSM users as of now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Once again, that only minimizes the program. It still runs in the background. You have to manually stop them, unless you have 3rd party software. On 64RAM, this is not so much of a problem however.
    no, once again you are wrong. own a WM5 device first before speaking. and please stop with the memory blah, blah, blah. not only is it getting old but it's almost a falsehood. the device works out of the box, end of story. if the user wants to load the device with a load of 3rd party apps, then so be it, but they're not necessary for most. and let me kindly remind you of something: a desktop p4 3.4ghz processor with 1.5gb of ram can be slowed to a crawl just as easily as you seem to slow down your handhelds. they all have limitations.

    if there are better wm5 devices out there, great! this way people can pick and choose which fits them best but at least don't smashmouth what you don't own! as for non-verizon customers, EDGE exists at Cingular, as for Sprint users, you'll have to wait. that does not make EDGE "useless" it simply isn't an option for you.

    regards
  12. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #13  
    wow, another thread where Lady Treo talks out of her ***

    color me suprised
  13. #14  
    I think holding down the OK key to launch the task list is a Palm tweak. Just a misunderstanding...no need to bad mouth the Lady.

    heckj, please take this comment lightly, but it strikes me as a Windows Mobile fanboy comment. Here's what I mean (in all seriousness)...do you care more about the spec sheet or what it actually means to you in your daily usage? Yes, multitasking offers real advantages. But they also come at a cost. On a Palm OS device, I can switch apps all day long from one to the next and every time the app I'm using will be running at full speed. On a WM device (unless MS has truly gotten it all working perfectly and automagically), as the day progresses, chances are that things may start to feel more sluggish. The less runtime memory you have (and the 700w only has 32MB of it), the quicker that should happen. That means extra steps (more work, less efficiency) to manually shut down apps.

    Only you can decide if the advantages of multitasking support outweigh the efficiency losses of having to manually maintain your device's running apps. For many people, the ability to multitask certain apps may be indispensible. For others, the need to multitask something may be so rare that they'd prefer keeping their device as snappy as possible at all times.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #15  
    Here's what I find really funny. Windows Media 5 is made to run with 64MB of RAM, not 32. Just because you can do certain things without problem doesn't mean that it was worth blowing $400+ for and a 2 year commitment.

    A client is running Windows XP with 256MB of RAM. Now imagine if that wasn't upgradeable. Sure he can open up MS Word. Sure he can quit it and then open up Outlook without a problem. Sure it works for him at the moment. But he sure would have been ticked off when he finds out that everyone else can do so much more and with greater ease than he can because he paid top dollar for a PC that can't add any more RAM.

    What's even funnier is watching the people complain who don't have problems (yet) while others are already having problems (which will be the current crop of non-complainers try to handle apps built for the standard 64MB of RAM that developers expect to find in WM5 devices.)

    So who will have the last laugh?
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    no, once again you are wrong. own a WM5 device first before speaking. and please stop with the memory blah, blah, blah. not only is it getting old but it's almost a falsehood. the device works out of the box, end of story. if the user wants to load the device with a load of 3rd party apps, then so be it, but they're not necessary for most. and let me kindly remind you of something: a desktop p4 3.4ghz processor with 1.5gb of ram can be slowed to a crawl just as easily as you seem to slow down your handhelds. they all have limitations.

    if there are better wm5 devices out there, great! this way people can pick and choose which fits them best but at least don't smashmouth what you don't own! as for non-verizon customers, EDGE exists at Cingular, as for Sprint users, you'll have to wait. that does not make EDGE "useless" it simply isn't an option for you.

    regards
    I do have one WM5 device. Which has less than 10MB of RAM. It has the same RAM as the 700w. Nothing extra was loaded onto it.

    EVDO, I think is what he was talking about. I use EDGE because I'm with Cingular.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    no, once again you are wrong. own a WM5 device first before speaking. and please stop with the memory blah, blah, blah. not only is it getting old but it's almost a falsehood. the device works out of the box, end of story. if the user wants to load the device with a load of 3rd party apps, then so be it, but they're not necessary for most. and let me kindly remind you of something: a desktop p4 3.4ghz processor with 1.5gb of ram can be slowed to a crawl just as easily as you seem to slow down your handhelds. they all have limitations.
    (1) 32MB of RAM using WM5 is NOT 1.5GB of RAM using WinXP. It's the equivalent of barely 256MB.

    (2) Do you think developers are keeping in mind a tiny footprint of RAM or double that amount? While you may not have a problem now, go to HowardForums or pdaphonehome where there are people already having fits.

    (3) Most importantly, if you want to spend money on a new phone every 6 months (if you can), then laugh all you want when the upgrades come out. I guarantee that the next WM upgrade will use a larger footprint.

    I'm glad you're happy with your phone but Lady knows what she is talking about. You can rationalize from here until the 700p comes out. It's underequipped with RAM. And hey -- I got my 650 to work. It works with all my apps. It doesn't mean that I soon realized that it was a lot more challenging than I first thought....
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I think holding down the OK key to launch the task list is a Palm tweak. Just a misunderstanding...no need to bad mouth the Lady.

    heckj, please take this comment lightly, but it strikes me as a Windows Mobile fanboy comment. Here's what I mean (in all seriousness)...do you care more about the spec sheet or what it actually means to you in your daily usage? Yes, multitasking offers real advantages. But they also come at a cost. On a Palm OS device, I can switch apps all day long from one to the next and every time the app I'm using will be running at full speed. On a WM device (unless MS has truly gotten it all working perfectly and automagically), as the day progresses, chances are that things may start to feel more sluggish. The less runtime memory you have (and the 700w only has 32MB of it), the quicker that should happen. That means extra steps (more work, less efficiency) to manually shut down apps.

    Only you can decide if the advantages of multitasking support outweigh the efficiency losses of having to manually maintain your device's running apps. For many people, the ability to multitask certain apps may be indispensible. For others, the need to multitask something may be so rare that they'd prefer keeping their device as snappy as possible at all times.
    with all due respect, when the situation calls for it, i simply don't find having to hold down a button for a moment to shut down a program any kind of a real inconvenience. i remember the real inconveniences of my old treo 650, they pale in comparison to having to manually shut down a program "if need be." i should have premised this by saying "i still yet to run out of memory and don't understand what the hubub is all about." at this moment my treo 700 is working just fine. remember, i've said this time and time again, I'm not a heavy 3rd party app user, and most people who buy these devices aren't either.

    regards
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I think holding down the OK key to launch the task list is a Palm tweak. Just a misunderstanding...no need to bad mouth the Lady.
    Is that true? Because I wasn't able to do that on my device and I did try several programs. Word, PIE, Tasks, etc.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    (1) 32MB of RAM using WM5 is NOT 1.5GB of RAM using WinXP. It's the equivalent of barely 256MB.....
    --of course not silly, i didn't say it was. i said i could bring a desktop with those specs to a crawl. i said that every product has its limitations which they do.

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    (2) Do you think developers are keeping in mind a tiny footprint of RAM or double that amount? While you may not have a problem now, go to HowardForums or pdaphonehome where there are people already having fits.
    --ask those people why they're having fits. i guaratee you most are loading up the devices with 3rd party apps.

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    (3) Most importantly, if you want to spend money on a new phone every 6 months (if you can), then laugh all you want when the upgrades come out. I guarantee that the next WM upgrade will use a larger footprint.
    --most excellent. when the next WM upgrade comes out I'll be in line once again, if the product operates over and beyond my current device.


    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I'm glad you're happy with your phone but Lady knows what she is talking about. You can rationalize from here until the 700p comes out. It's underequipped with RAM. And hey -- I got my 650 to work. It works with all my apps. It doesn't mean that I soon realized that it was a lot more challenging than I first thought....
    --I personally hate the Palm OS, that is "one" of the reasons i switched from Sprint to Verizon. I don't have to rationalize anything, perhaps some of you are simply trying to justify your own devices, choices and decisions. It's not underequipped with RAM because if it were it would not work and mine works just fine. Show me a Treo 650 with a WM5 o.s. and i'd buy it.

    regards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions