Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Is that true? Because I wasn't able to do that on my device and I did try several programs. Word, PIE, Tasks, etc.
    for crying out loud!! we're owners, have the device and manuals in hand, and are able to do what we are saying. there is no need for us to lie. if your non-Treo WM5 device doesn't do so, I'm sorry, it's truly unfortunate. I tried doing it on my ppc6601 (WM3) and no luck, it doesn't work. It does work on the T700, every owner will validate such.

regards
    Is that true? Because I wasn't able to do that on my device and I did try several programs. Word, PIE, Tasks, etc.
    Yes it is a Palm tweak that is not on other WM5 devices. I posted a whole list of Palm tweaks specific to the 700w that are not on other WM5 devices.
    (This is Mashie from over at HoFo, but apparently someone here at TreoCentral is already registered with my name )

1.)Send Key: Instead of bringing up the dial pad, when you press the send key from the today screen you get a list of the 10 last contacts you dialed then you can scroll out all numbers for each contact. It makes is VERY easy for those frequent numbers

2.)Contact Addition: There is an option you can turn on and off when you place or receive a call from someone not in your contact list, when the call is over you are asked if you want to add them into your list.

3.) Ignore +: When a call comes in the right soft key changes to Ignore, when you press it, you are presented with 2 options, Ignore and Ignore + sent text message where when selected it will create a text message to the caller.

4.) Call Dialing: From the today screen, all you have to do is start typing the name or number of the person you want to dial. A smart list (similar to the one that comes with I-Mate devices) drops down all results that match what you are typing and all of their contact info.

5.) Voicemail App: The voicemail app, which is accessable from the today screen, has VCR type contols on the screen.

6.) Timezone Changes: This device auto updates the clock based on the timezone you are in.

7.) OK/Close buttons: Common on some deivces, but missing on many others. These 2 little buttons in addition to the soft keys make navigation of the OS much easier then on my K-Jam.

8.) MS Voice Command integrated into the ROM

-Mashie
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    for crying out loud!! we're owners, have the device and manuals in hand, and are able to do what we are saying. there is no need for us to lie. if your non-Treo WM5 device doesn't do so, I'm sorry, it's truly unfortunate. I tried doing it on my ppc6601 (WM3) and no luck, it doesn't work. It does work on the T700, every owner will validate such.

regards
    You misunderstood me. I was asking if that was Palm tweak only.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    Yes it is a Palm tweak that is not on other WM5 devices. I posted a whole list of Palm tweaks specific to the 700w that are not on other WM5 devices.
    (This is Mashie from over at HoFo, but apparently someone here at TreoCentral is already registered with my name )

1.)Send Key: Instead of bringing up the dial pad, when you press the send key from the today screen you get a list of the 10 last contacts you dialed then you can scroll out all numbers for each contact. It makes is VERY easy for those frequent numbers

2.)Contact Addition: There is an option you can turn on and off when you place or receive a call from someone not in your contact list, when the call is over you are asked if you want to add them into your list.

3.) Ignore +: When a call comes in the right soft key changes to Ignore, when you press it, you are presented with 2 options, Ignore and Ignore + sent text message where when selected it will create a text message to the caller.

4.) Call Dialing: From the today screen, all you have to do is start typing the name or number of the person you want to dial. A smart list (similar to the one that comes with I-Mate devices) drops down all results that match what you are typing and all of their contact info.

5.) Voicemail App: The voicemail app, which is accessable from the today screen, has VCR type contols on the screen.

6.) Timezone Changes: This device auto updates the clock based on the timezone you are in.

7.) OK/Close buttons: Common on some deivces, but missing on many others. These 2 little buttons in addition to the soft keys make navigation of the OS much easier then on my K-Jam.

8.) MS Voice Command integrated into the ROM

-Mashie
    Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You misunderstood me. I was asking if that was Palm tweak only.
    oh, then please forgive me then. but then again, the response below was your response to my post about being able to stop the programs by holding down the OK button:

Lady Treo said: Once again, that only minimizes the program. It still runs in the background. You have to manually stop them, unless you have 3rd party software. On 64RAM, this is not so much of a problem however.

maybe you misunderstood me? would you like to apologize as well?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    there is too much h8 in this thread

it needs more <3

someone hug me
    Yes, I was apparently mistaken about the OK button on the 700w. You were correct.

Yes, I was apparently mistaken about the OK button on the 700w. You were correct.
    It was minor coding. The option+OK key was mapped to bring up "Task Manager" or System Setting - memory - running programs tab. MS should have provided something as good as the umpteen task management programs you can get anywhere on the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl
    there is too much h8 in this thread

it needs more <3

someone hug me

<hugs>

Back to the original post, this is mainly my opinion on the memory issues for those non-owners out there. The memory CAN BE an issue. The phone does work out of the box. But simply running internet explorer and trying to view this forum basically stopped it in its tracks for me once. No third party apps or anything else running. Is it a chronic problem? No. I find browsing on the phone to be a pain in the **** anyway. For email (I'm using Exchange ActiveSync) and calendar, contacts, etc. it is a fantastic device. I can have pocket informant and pocket outlook both running, no problem. The phone functionality of the today screen is great. So far I'd say it's worth every penny and I have no regrets about the purchase and no intention of returning it.
    Scott R has a point; it doesn't matter how many apps I can "run in the background" because with such a small screen you will not have multiple windows open. in which case the Treo 650 does the same thing in fucntion. You "leave" a program & you come back to it. The same way the Treo 700 works. I see no dang benefit with having programs open in the background. I see a downfall - slowing down your Treo because it makes you manually close all these programs. well how the hell am I supposed to keep track of what programs I have used when I ma onto the next three?! Again on a computer I can physically see which windows I have there & what is open. This running in bacground crap is... crap. it is not good for handheld...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Scott R has a point; it doesn't matter how many apps I can "run in the background" because with such a small screen you will not have multiple windows open. in which case the Treo 650 does the same thing in fucntion. You "leave" a program & you come back to it. The same way the Treo 700 works. I see no dang benefit with having programs open in the background. I see a downfall - slowing down your Treo because it makes you manually close all these programs. well how the hell am I supposed to keep track of what programs I have used when I ma onto the next three?! Again on a computer I can physically see which windows I have there & what is open. This running in bacground crap is... crap. it is not good for handheld...
    simply press and hold the OK button and you will be able to shut down each and every one of them, selectively even! If your phone isn't lagging/stuttering/crawling then you don't have a memory problem. If it is, simply shut down some of the "un-necessary" programs. How many programs can you actually use at the same time, effectively and efficiently? Let me think: I am on the phone, I have to look up an email address, then I have to jump on the internet to find an answer to some question, then open an excel spreadsheet to find that one cell-reference amongst thousands of them while browsing a Word document to find some other reference to cut and copy into another Word document, while taking a picture of some object that needs to be immediately sent while text messaging another?

I just need to read email, browse the net, and speak on the phone. If i can successfully do all three of those things "at the same time" I need to quit my job and go to the school of Wizardry. Imagine trying to do all of those while driving!

c'mon folks, the device works plenty well for most of us who can wait to get back to work or open a laptop. all of this memory speak is phooey. why is Verizon selling out of their shipments in the same day if not days? enjoy the device, no need to torture it. if you don't like the memory issue, don't buy it. given the number of devices i've owned (blackberries, treo 600, treo 650, i730 and ppc6601) i'll be the first to admit a fault when i find one that affects me.

regards and have fun!
    4 or 5 in my case, but not exactly used at the same time. They were just left open after I thought I exited. I can usually move between about 3 at the most.

me too! but now i own a treo 700 which allows me to actually CLOSE any unecessary applications. it's great that way.
    Have you run anything from the SD card yet? If so, how was it?

i ran 1 prog and had 3 mbs of memory left what a joke wahed out screen lock ups sent it back for 6700 best move i ever made saved 100 bucks and got wi fi bigger and better screen more memory
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Have you run anything from the SD card yet? If so, how was it?
    Remember you don't actually run anything from the SD card - everything runs from RAM. What you do from the SD card is exactly what you do when you execute from storage memory; the app is copied from storage memory (or SD card) to RAM and executed. I am seeing about a second more delay in start of execution from SD card than from storage memory - depending of course on the size of the executable to be copied.

For me the 700w is the best PPC/Phone I have used including PDA2K, JAM, i730, KJAM, and Apache. With the Palm tweaks, WM5 improvements and added Today and OK buttons the awkwardness and stylus flipping of the older PPCs is pretty much gone. As with the Treo 650, I almost never need the stylus. About my only complaint is the absence of any way to manually start a data connection - having to start PIE to get a data connection or ging to the Connections panel is just plain stupid (IMHO).

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by xxfatalxx
    i ran 1 prog and had 3 mbs of memory left what a joke wahed out screen lock ups sent it back for 6700 best move i ever made saved 100 bucks and got wi fi bigger and better screen more memory

so for you the bigger and better screen coupled with the increased memory did it for you. that's wonderful! you found a device that fits you.

so, that one program that you ran; what was it? must have been a very powerful program if you didn't have anything else running in the background. very impressive i must add.
    pocket plus 3.0 and nothing else was running
    pocket plus 3.0 and nothing else was running
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast