Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    She said that if i signed up for the unlimited data plan (which i did) that EVDO would be included at no additional charge.. Basically that if you had a EVDO enabled device you would get to use it for no extra charge (As long as you have the unlimited data). I hope this is right.. I know that is how Cingular has their EDGE deal set up.. Please advise if this information is correct.. Thanks!!
    This is pretty much the setup that Sprint has been offering since the 6700 came out so I'm not surprised that Verizon is looking to match that. They can't compete with Sprint by offering a $45/mo unlimited data EVDO plan when Sprint is offering that to you for $10 - $15/mo (depending on the deal you've worked with Sprint).
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    It's true.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Sorry but what is EVDO?
    Quote Originally Posted by bsudyk
    Sorry but what is EVDO?
    A high speed wireless data connection. It's an upgrade for CDMA 1xRTT users.
    I'm back!
    Verizon actually offered it before sprint, they had there ev-do network up about 1 year before sprint. so maybe sprint is trying to compete with verizon????
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I believe the rep meant that if sign up for the unlimited data plan and it's price ($45 a month?) you would recieve EVDO if both the device was capable and the nework was available in the area.
    Umm .. well DUH ? EVDO has _always_ from day 1 been "free" with the data plan ? boggle not sure why the surprise about this ? This has always been the case ..
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    Verizon actually offered it before sprint, they had there ev-do network up about 1 year before sprint. so maybe sprint is trying to compete with verizon????
    Verizon's EVDO was available in some locations 2 years before Sprint.
    Except for the fact that Sprint's EVDO plan is a third of the cost of Verizon's. So if Verizon's EVDO coverage was up a year (or two) before Sprint's (even though there were very few phones that were EVDO capable back then, so who cares?), that's just a year or two longer that Verizon customers have been getting screwed by their plan prices.

Believe me, there's no comparison between $15/mo and $45/mo, especially if coverage by both carriers is the same.
    I'm back!
    I think its also a matter of bandwidth - even though Sprint has EVDO doesn't mean that their is as fast as Verizon's. I can't say for certain if Sprint is slower since I never tried their EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x

Believe me, there's no comparison between $15/mo and $45/mo, especially if coverage by both carriers is the same.
    But coverage isnt the same, verizon is about 3x the evdo coverage area and expanding. sprint is just getting there's off the ground. i cant sacrifice coverage to save a few bucks. its not like $30 extra a month is that big a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkorbz
    I think its also a matter of bandwidth - even though Sprint has EVDO doesn't mean that their is as fast as Verizon's. I can't say for certain if Sprint is slower since I never tried their EVDO.
    I can't answer that, I've never tried Verizon's EVDO, but after having seen Sprint's EVDO in action, I seriously doubt it's 3 times as fast.

And if it isn't, it's not worth 3 times the price.
    I'm back!
    But coverage isnt the same, verizon is about 3x the evdo coverage area and expanding. sprint is just getting there's off the ground. i cant sacrifice coverage to save a few bucks. its not like $30 extra a month is that big a deal.
    But that's the key, IF coverage is the same. For many of us who live in major markets, the coverage is the same. If you get better Verizon service than Sprint service, then absolutely you should go with Verizon. If you get better Sprint service where you are, then of course you should go with Sprint.

But if you live in a major market where the coverage is the same (and Sprint's EVDO is covering most major markets), then all things being the same, it's foolish to choose the more expensive plan.

It's like all the threads around here asking who is the best carrier. The best carrier is the one who services your area the best and at the lowest cost. I'm in a Sprint EVDO market, I've used it, it's great, and I have no reason in the world to pay $45 for it when I can get it for $15.
    I'm back!
    This may not be true for very long:

Sprint EVDO Network
    So.....I thought that VZ data plan that included EVDO is $45 a month and Sprint is around $15, depending on the deal you can work out with them when set up.

Is this correct. I am not with VZ, so I just wanted to make sure I am not running any assumptions.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Sprint has pretty much caught Verizon in terms of number of EVDO-enabled towers. In addition, Sprint uses separate channels and servers for voice vs data, which means if a lot of people are using their EVDO data service your phone call will still go through.
    This is the best source I've found for up-to-the-minute EVDO information.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    So.....I thought that VZ data plan that included EVDO is $45 a month and Sprint is around $15, depending on the deal you can work out with them when set up.

Is this correct. I am not with VZ, so I just wanted to make sure I am not running any assumptions.
    This appears to be what Treo 700w users are reporting, that Verizon is charging $45 or so a month for unlimited data EVDO.

Which contrasts pretty sharply with Sprint's $15/mo for unlimited EVDO.
    I'm back!
    SPCS cost less than VZW and VZW has greater coverage. Tmobile costs less than Cingular and Cingular has greater coverage. VZW and Cingular costs about the same. If price is a major concern and you want CDMA, you get Sprint. If price is the major concern and you want GSM, you get Tmobile.

Again, you make trade-offs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    SPCS cost less than VZW and VZW has greater coverage. Tmobile costs less than Cingular and Cingular has greater coverage. VZW and Cingular costs about the same. If price is a major concern and you want CDMA, you get Sprint. If price is the major concern and you want GSM, you get Tmobile.

Again, you make trade-offs.
    Coverage is subjective and location dependent, cost is not.
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast