Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Coverage is subjective and location dependent, cost is not.
    And changing VERY fast.....according a reliable contact at Sprint corp....Sprint will be finalizing MAJOR advancements in the EVDO coverage in June & July of this year. They have it mapped out to offer EVDO wherever they have normal in network cell coverage (with some real rural locations exceptions). See my link above.

Because VZ has had it out longer and has been slow in expanding it....does not mean that Sprint cannot pass them up with coverage areas in a short period of time. This is what I think we will be seeing this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    And changing VERY fast.....according a reliable contact at Sprint corp....Sprint will be finalizing MAJOR advancements in the EVDO coverage in June & July of this year. They have it mapped out to offer EVDO wherever they have normal in network cell coverage (with some real rural locations exceptions). See my link above.

Because VZ has had it out longer and has been slow in expanding it....does not mean that Sprint cannot pass them up with coverage areas in a short period of time. This is what I think we will be seeing this year.
    Yeah, it's a silly argument to say that since Verizon had it first, they must be better.

And worth 3 times the price.

I feel comfortable backing Sprint at this point in time.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    VZW and Cingular costs about the same.
    $45 for Verizon and $20 for Cingular ain't "the same".
    Is this the same as saying if you pay for electricity, as a bonus they'll power your house at night as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    $45 for Verizon and $20 for Cingular ain't "the same".
    On the Cingular site it states $44.99 and that is the same.
    Access your e-mail, corporate intranet, and the Internet while on the go by wirelessly connecting your PDA to the Internet. Requires usage with a Cingular Wireless PDA. Service is not available at all times in all places. View Map and Coverage Limitations.

Data Connect Unlimited $44.99 Unlimited
    ETA: I've never understood these arguments. If you don't want to pay VZW prices, don't and if you are happy with SPCS service, great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Coverage is subjective and location dependent, cost is not.
    Not if you are talking about all locations. There are lots of cities/zipcodes where SPCS beats VZW. but that is not what I (and most people) mean by "coverage". For a particular location/zipcode, "Cricket" (or any other mom/pop carrier) may have better "coverage" than both VZW and SPCS!
    On the Cingular site it states $44.99 and that is the same.
    Sorry, ya gotta go to the right web page. Ya don't need PDA Net for unlimited data, this is for peeps who need VPN. All ya need is MediaNet.

Try this webpage:

https://www.cingular.com/media/media...YSTXB4R0EPCFFA

If the link doesn't work cause of the session ID stuff, just go to the cingular site and do a search (upperright hand corner) on "MediaNet". Once there scroll down to MediaNet Unlimited which is still being offered at $19.99 a month.

Step 2: Review Pricing

MEdia Net Packages
    Before you start: See if your phone is MEdia Net-compatible and coverage is available for your area.
    footer
    Package Charge MB Included Overage Rate
    MEdia Net 1 MB $4.99 per month 1 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net 5 MB $9.99 per month 5 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net 10 MB $14.99 per month 10 MB $0.01 per KB
    MEdia Net Unlimited $19.99 per month Unlimited N/A
    MEdia Net
    Pay-Per-Use $0.00 per month 0 MB $0.01 per KB
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/13/2006 at 08:46 PM.
    I need VPN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Sprint has pretty much caught Verizon in terms of number of EVDO-enabled towers. In addition, Sprint uses separate channels and servers for voice vs data, which means if a lot of people are using their EVDO data service your phone call will still go through.
    This is the best source I've found for up-to-the-minute EVDO information.
    Ev-DO does not supprt voice. this is for data only. verizon and sprint both use ev-do in the same way. ev-do is a data only service. As far as causght up i wonder how a company that produces half the revenue managed to catch up to an company who has had this technology in place for about 1 1/2 to 2 years before sprint even started the ev-do network.. It seems there are a lot of sprint users on this forum. more than any other carrier im guessing.
    Sprint probably leases EVDO access from VZW; rather than lease tower space and put up their own antennas in areas VZW has built out.
    Not if you are talking about all locations. There are lots of cities/zipcodes where SPCS beats VZW. but that is not what I (and most people) mean by "coverage". For a particular location/zipcode, "Cricket" (or any other mom/pop carrier) may have better "coverage" than both VZW and SPCS!
    Maybe I wasn't clear, that was my point. Coverage only matters where you are, not the other 99% of their coverage map. I truthfully don't care how good Verizon's or Sprint's service is in LA, I live in south Florida, all I care is that Sprint has excellent coverage in Florida. If they don't, I'll go to Verizon, if their service is better in my area. That's why I said the "Which provider is better?" threads always kill me. The best provider is the one who has the best service and the lowest cost in your area. That's it.

Luckily for me, Sprint has great service down here and has the cheapest data plan going, especially since they're not charging a premium for EVDO.
    I'm back!
    At $45 per month, Verizon can keep their data plan and their 700W. I'll wait for Sprint to release it. Do you hear me Verizon?
    in my area - CT - I never liked Sprint - very inconsistent coverage - this was a few years ago - so not sure if things have changed in my area - I have 650 with Verizon.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12