Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Background: I'm a Sprint member using Treo 600 for $15 unlimited data fee. This includes access to the internet, SMS, etc.

    I'm hearing great things about EVDO and the 700w but the data charges by Verizon scare me.

    What I've been told by Verizon is that to use the 700w I'm going to have to shell out $59/mo for unlimited data.

    I thought initially the $44.95/mo would suffice for unlimited data usage, however looking at the fineprint if I want to push email from POP3 IMAP server to the 700w those emails or messages are considered txt messages and therefore I will need to shell out an additional $15/mo for the unlimited IM/txt message option.

    Is this the truth?

    Paying an extra $30 for faster speeds seems steep to me, going to $45 and I'm starting to feel like I'm not interested.
  2. #2  
    I don't think verizon has an unlimited IM / text msg option - you can get fixed amount from non-VZW and unlimited VZW suscriber messaging; so be real careful or you may get an unpleasent surprise.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeitel01
    Background: I'm a Sprint member using Treo 600 for $15 unlimited data fee. This includes access to the internet, SMS, etc.

    I'm hearing great things about EVDO and the 700w but the data charges by Verizon scare me.

    What I've been told by Verizon is that to use the 700w I'm going to have to shell out $59/mo for unlimited data.

    I thought initially the $44.95/mo would suffice for unlimited data usage, however looking at the fineprint if I want to push email from POP3 IMAP server to the 700w those emails or messages are considered txt messages and therefore I will need to shell out an additional $15/mo for the unlimited IM/txt message option.

    Is this the truth?

    Paying an extra $30 for faster speeds seems steep to me, going to $45 and I'm starting to feel like I'm not interested.
    Wait for Sprint. Do not migrate to Verizon. Sprint will be offering an EVDO-enabled Treo (either the 700w or the mythical 700p) shortly. If you are happy with Sprint, then there's no reason to switch carriers. Your patience will be rewarded, especially if you want the 700p, because if it really is coming, it will be coming to Sprint first, most likely. If you want the 700w, it will be available by the summer, but if the rumors here are to be believed, it will be here by Q2, and hopefully with some of the Verizon bugs worked out.

    And if Sprint keeps their pricing plan the same, you can get unlimited data EVDO for the same $10-$15/mo that you're paying for Vision.
    I'm back!
  4. #4  
    The ev-do plan is 44.95/mon with a voice plan. If the messages are being forwarded via txt then yes you would get charged seprately. you can get 1000 txt for 9.99/mo. but why not use a mail program to just pull your email if its on a pop server. then you wouldnt need to pay for anything additional.
  5. #5  
    Take a look around on here or howardforums there is a special that some treo 700 have been able to get 2000 text messages for free with the unlimited data plan.here foumd it http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...50#post6541650 for some they give it right to them, for others its a no go.
  6. #6  
    Paying 35.99/month with the discount Verizon gives me for being an employee of xyz company (b2B)... you might check to see if your company has a discount if you work for a large one.

    I believe it varies between 5 - 25% off. Applicable to service and data plans.
  7. #7  
    verizonwireless.com/discount to enter your work email to check
  8. #8  
    i got the 2000 txt message deal easily at no charge.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Wait for Sprint. Do not migrate to Verizon. Sprint will be offering an EVDO-enabled Treo (either the 700w or the mythical 700p) shortly. If you are happy with Sprint, then there's no reason to switch carriers. Your patience will be rewarded, especially if you want the 700p, because if it really is coming, it will be coming to Sprint first, most likely. If you want the 700w, it will be available by the summer, but if the rumors here are to be believed, it will be here by Q2, and hopefully with some of the Verizon bugs worked out.

    And if Sprint keeps their pricing plan the same, you can get unlimited data EVDO for the same $10-$15/mo that you're paying for Vision.

    Something else just came to me ...Maybe this delay with 700's for Sprint has to do with the new billing system and it's completion?


    There is the remote chance that Sprint jacks up there EVDO data charges for EVDO TREO's.

    On another note concerning Sprint as they are in the process of being able to monitor tethering with there NEW billing system. So you won't be tethering on EVDO for $15 a month. I believe that will be $40 for 40mb and $70 for unlimited.

    Just think if they didn't constrain this, people would be dropping there High speed internet service like it was going out of style.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/13/2006 at 08:30 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Something else just came to me ...Maybe this delay with 700's for Sprint has to do with the new billing system and it's completion?.
    I think it is more to do with verizon got the exclusive on the 700. sprint had the 650 exclusive for a few months before anyone else got it. this time it was verizon that scooped it up first, im sure ther is something in the contract where they are the only carrier who can have the phone for xxx about of time.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    I think it is more to do with verizon got the exclusive on the 700. sprint had the 650 exclusive for a few months before anyone else got it. this time it was verizon that scooped it up first, im sure ther is something in the contract where they are the only carrier who can have the phone for xxx about of time.
    Yes, Verizon was given exclusivity on the Treo 700w for anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on who you believe. This is why Sprint doesn't offer it yet.

    The good news about this is that hopefully some of the bugs that Sprint users were accustomed to finding in the 600 and 650 will be worked out by Verizon before we get it.
    I'm back!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Yes, Verizon was given exclusivity on the Treo 700w for anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on who you believe. This is why Sprint doesn't offer it yet.

    The good news about this is that hopefully some of the bugs that Sprint users were accustomed to finding in the 600 and 650 will be worked out by Verizon before we get it.


    I don't see how Palm as a company benefits from these "Exclusively" at " " deals.
  13. psywzrd's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolasmor
    Take a look around on here or howardforums there is a special that some treo 700 have been able to get 2000 text messages for free with the unlimited data plan.here foumd it http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...50#post6541650 for some they give it right to them, for others its a no go.
    I just added the 2000 free SMS messages to my plan as well. Make sure to ask for "PDA SMS 2000 Allowance". You don't even need Data Tech Support to do it - regular old customer service will do.
  14. #14  
    Because X company spends all the $$$ for advertising and getting people drooling for the product. verizon has never released a press conference for a phone, until the 700. they are advertising it like crazy. now all the sprint, cingular, t-mobile people are hot for one. they may switch or just wait but never the less they will get it, driving the sales of the unit. and dont think verizon didnt pay top dollar to have the first round as well exclusive rights for a certain period of time. that means $$$ for palm.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I don't see how Palm as a company benefits from these "Exclusively" at " " deals.
    It's not just the free advertising (all the Treo 700 commercials you see on TV are Verizon's, not Palm's), but in the "old" days of the Treo, Sprint was actually financing some of the R&D and production costs of the unit as well, and obviously, as part of the agreement, they got an exclusive deal with Handspring over the units. That's why up until the 700w, Sprint was always first to market with the Treos.
    I'm back!

Posting Permissions