Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think he's wavering... A few 100 posts in that thread may push him over the edge

http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...r=asc&start=15

Surur
    I want too.
    No way Marc - stay focused on Palm Chatter only.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    It would be nice.
    I will be buying a WM Treo and Chatter is the about the only thing I think I'll miss (and the 320x320 screen). Given that the stock email app (hopefully) won't suck as bad as versamail, I don't know that there will be as much of a reason for people who have never used chatter to go looking for a better solution than pocket outlook.

Also I really want to just hook to the exchange server the way you can with active sync, when (if?) MS ever releases the pack that will enable push I think that will be great. If Chatter could just hook to exchange I might not even upgrade (or swap depending on how you look at it)..
    marc, we need you pal. i would kill for chatter on this thing!
    I've already bugged Marc enough, but I'll add my name to the list.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Adding my name to the list too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am all for it.
    DITTO DITTO DITTO. I love chatter, but considering the 700w. I'm nervous i won't have the same IMAP capabilities i have now. does the pocket outlook sync properly and can it upload a copy of a sent message to a folder?
    Anyone actually get a response of if he even considered it? I am getting ppc6700... fug Treos!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Anyone actually get a response of if he even considered it? I am getting ppc6700... fug Treos!
    Go to his web site's forums or check the Chatter support forum here. This was brought up a few times. He indicated some initial interest, but has recently stepped back from this simply because of the difficulty factor. Reality is, there ain't much "porting" involved. It would almost be a total rewrite.

That said, I'm 100% for it, as well...
    The network and email protocol engine would work mostly as is; but the UI would have to be rewritten from scratch as well as the database portions. I'm not a Windows fan, and I frankly don't have much interest in the WM platform personally, so there's little chance I would take this on myself. It's possible that I could partner with somebody to do the WM port, but it wouldn't be an easy job.

Marc

p.s. I'm not exactly bowled over by the 700w. There will be linux-based Palm OS Treo's in the future, and I will be waiting for them...
    Marc, did you check out the vgsmail link I pointed you to? The really neat thing about what that guy is doing is that he's written a transport for the built-in WM mail client thus relieving him of nearly all UI issues. Obviously this also limits what he's able to do. Still, it's a novel approach, though he could probably use someone's *cough* assistance with development.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    If the transport handles IMAP properly, why the need for Chatter?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    If the transport handles IMAP properly, why the need for Chatter?

Marc
    Pocket Outlook's built-in IMAP transport doesn't support IDLE. The author of vgsmail has written an alternative IMAP transport that does - however it is extremely raw at the present time (inbox only, no attachments, poor/non-existent handling of read flags, and many other serious limitations). At this point the guy has a good idea and a neat hack, but not much more, IMO.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    VGSmail is very much alpha software and is way more reliable (ok much less flakey) with WM200SE. The developer is working on making it WM5 compliant, but it is not there yet. Send only works if your SMTP requires a username and password and it has to be the same as your imap server (that killed me). I would love to see Chatter for PPC and IMHO you'd sell a gazillion copies as the PPC masses are starving for a good email client. I know it sounds like a cliche, but if you make it, they will buy it! You idle approach is something that is pretty novel for windows and not everyone has access to or wants to use exchange. My setup with my treo 650, imap servers and chatter just works. I don't have to think about it. I hope you consider it, I guarantee I will send you more money.

greg
    It's not about the money; I know there's a market for it. It's more about the work involved, how it would impact the Palm OS version, etc. Even the now-aborted OWA plugin caused me to get spread a bit too thin (a reason I'm not that upset with it being on extended hiatus).

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    It's not about the money; I know there's a market for it. It's more about the work involved, how it would impact the Palm OS version, etc. Even the now-aborted OWA plugin caused me to get spread a bit too thin (a reason I'm not that upset with it being on extended hiatus).

Marc
    Having been on the Palm side and having been a very happy Chatter user, the last thing I'd want to see is Palm Chatter being neglected in order to put something together for WM.

Assuming the VGSmail developer is open to it (a huge if since I don't know him or anything about him...), I'm wondering whether you could provide some sort of technical assistance to him (in return for something you'd have to work out). VGSmail doesn't cost anything - it appears his primary business is providing SMS gateway services. Presumably at some point, however, this would be a commercial product.
    WRONG FORUM!!!!!!!!!! Move it to 700w
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast