Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This all being said, I'd still buy it all over again for the ppc.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    WRONG FORUM!!!!!!!!!! Move it to 700w
    Easy to miss if one gets here via New Posts...

Mods: this should really be in the WM Communications or in Marc's developer forum...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    This all being said, I'd still buy it all over again for the ppc.
    Ditto
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    WRONG FORUM!!!!!!!!!! Move it to 700w
    no dufus...this is about chatter (communications software )
    Which is why there is a communications forum for it?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
    I think if Marc distracts himself with a WM version, than it is relevant for us Palm Chatter users.
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Assuming the VGSmail developer is open to it (a huge if since I don't know him or anything about him...), I'm wondering whether you could provide some sort of technical assistance to him (in return for something you'd have to work out). VGSmail doesn't cost anything - it appears his primary business is providing SMS gateway services. Presumably at some point, however, this would be a commercial product.
    Of course he's open to it .

I actually contacted Marc a while ago suggesting that we could work together on this or something. And the offer is still very much open.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffreycross
    Of course he's open to it .

I actually contacted Marc a while ago suggesting that we could work together on this or something. And the offer is still very much open.
    Well hello there!

As you likely already know, there is a huge demand for a Chatter-like application on Windows mobile, particularly now that many Treo users are migrating to WM for the first time to use the 700w.

Your idea of implementing IMAP push as a transport is brilliant - here's to hoping you and Marc are able to work together to produce something great!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <moved>
    VGS MAIL!

If Mark doesn't feel it is worthwhile to develop the app that is certainly his perogative! Taking a cue from Chattermail VGS Mail is being RAPIDLY developed and is quickly getting on par with the current chatter release in my opinion. The only downside for right now I believe is no attachments but with updates DAILY this will be resolved quickly (placeholders for attachments are already there).

Let me start by saying that I am not usually a proponent of software per se as I think everyone should pick what suits their particular needs best. In breaking with my own beliefs I have decided to tell you all that this application "vgsmail" is one of the most used and best supported I have on my 6700. This fills the need for REALTIME PUSH email on our devices without waiting for the elusive ROM upgrade (not holding my breath). The only shortcoming that I know of currently is that attachments are not supported (but are definitely coming soon). I have had zero crashes or other conflicts since installing this program and the xda website is promptly responded to and updated with new release information daily if not more. Frankly I cannot wait to kiss AS goodbye and have the only thing missing from my conversion to PPC from Palm fixed (Chatteremail). Try it....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/vie...hmail&start=225

www.vgsmail.com/ppc
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    It's not about the money; I know there's a market for it. It's more about the work involved, how it would impact the Palm OS version, etc. Even the now-aborted OWA plugin caused me to get spread a bit too thin (a reason I'm not that upset with it being on extended hiatus).

Marc
    Marc, I dont know if you know this, but twice as many Windows Mobile PDA/PDAPhones/Smartphones get sold every year than PalmOS devices. The Treo sales, which has been the only buttress the the PalmOS slide will now be shared between POS and WM. It would make a lot of financial sense to introduce this software to a virgin platform. Also the RAD tools on WM Visual Studio are renowned for ease of use, especially for GUI development, and compatibility between the millions of WM devices is nearly a given. I suspect Chatter for WM would be much less trouble than the POS version.

Its time to be a hard nosed business man, and go where the money is. Waiting for AccessLinux will only give you Access to an ever shrinking market.

Surur
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Marc: Hurray! Stick with Palm OS. We'd hate to lose your efforts to the dark side (no offense to 700w users, but I will wait for the 700p, or whatever it may be called)
    But if he somehow got the time and money to develop it, he'd end up making a killing in the end! Just as Surur said.

I still prefer Palm OS too, however.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If we're still collecting opinions, I wouldn't shed a tear if Chatter never showed up on WM5. And it sounds like there are others working on a similar solution for that platform. After all, if WM5 was such an attractive platform for developers... would we even be having this discussion?

I add my vote to the "wait for Linux-based POS" camp.
    I'm only thinking about it from a monetary view. Whether or not developers want to deal with WM5 for personal satisfaction reasons is another story. Although there are about 3 that I know of who are trying similar options.

However, I'm waiting for the new Palm OS to show up too, and it's taking longer than I hoped for.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    it should be pretty clear to folks here that marc is not primarily driven by financial/market considerations. It is pretty clear WM platform has (and will) represent a larger market for his product.

Chatter appears to be more of a hobby than anything for him and therefore i would not expect a windows version (sigh). that being said the built in app is weak enough and the market is large enough that someone will likely fill the void
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12