Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Here I sit with my Treo 600, living on borrowed time...
    2. Out of my contract with T-Mobile and ready to move...
    3. Tempted by the 700W but dying for the 700P
    4. Fanatically checking this damn thread and resisting the temptation to come to the dark side.... wondering...
    5. Held the "Beast" at my local Verizon dealership...

What a conflicted and pitiful soul I am!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    You are not alone.
    Give it 2 more weeks, something has got to leak with that 700P
    I love the 700, do it.
    I ... have ... got ... to ... resist ... to ... many ... b...
    The day after Christmas I dropped my 600 and cracked the screen. Perhaps it was a Freudian 'slip' I was going to wait for the 700p, but got the 700w because I needed a phone now. It's different, but it's growing on me. Tmo's rates were nice, but EVDO is worth the price...and I have the insurance plan this time around.
    The darkside really isnt that bad. I think people make it much more than it is. If you can figure out a treo and you have used a PC with windows than you will be fine. (and if you get into trouble, send out an SOS to Hobbes, Phurth, Tem and others!) :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

hey riverbruce. i was in your situation. i had tmobile for 5 years. i waited patiently for the new treo to come out. i finally made the switch to verizon and purchased the 700w. i got my phone 2 days ago and i love it. there was a couple reasons why i went for the 700w. mainly being that verizon has the best network coverage. i also like that fact that i get broadband speed on my data connection. also, it is rumored that if the 700p does come out, it will be exclusively sold by sprint. i personally dont like sprint. anyways, i hoped this helped. good luck
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Please excuse the typos; I'm typing this on my Treo 650 waiting for a plane to take off.

I went ahead and broke my Cingular coverage and switched to Verizon, then switched back. Many reasons why. I owned theTreo 600, then 650, then 700W, and now back and am waiting for the 700P.
    you can't play MP3's with keygaurd on. you have to get all you apps, the operating system was a little bloated, but I could get used to that because it has direct mapping to Outlook.

Really though aside from the great Network that Verizon has and the ability to sync flawlesly with outlook and surf the web at near broadband speeds, I found myself trying to force myself to like the 700w. And I LOVE the Treo 650. That explains why the Microsoft Mobile has never really taken off. This is my opinion but you will see that when the 700p comes out it will be a huge hit. This isn't the equivalent of Mac vs Windows to me this is a matter of functionality. Microsoft just doesn't have it perfected yet, and every year they keep changing to name on Windows CE thinking that people will believe that its drastically different, but it functions almost the same today since the begining. I was hopeful that I would like the Windows based system but I really was trying to force myself to like something that I didn't like.
    There are positives to the 700w but so far they are not enough for me to jump ship. I will be switching to Verizon though when the P comes out because they are years ahead of their competitors with EVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos
    That explains why the Microsoft Mobile has never really taken off. This is my opinion but you will see that when the 700p comes out it will be a huge hit. This isn't the equivalent of Mac vs Windows to me this is a matter of functionality. Microsoft just doesn't have it perfected yet, and every year they keep changing to name on Windows CE thinking that people will believe that its drastically different, but it functions almost the same today since the begining.
    This of course all fair, and you gave it a good shot, but I just wanted to correct you on a factual issue. WM has "taken off" and outsell POS by at least 2:1. The marketshare breakdown between the two is about 64:36% WM:POS. This of course does not make WM any easier for you to use, but its just a note that other people have managed to grok it.

Surur
    What is the 700P? Sorry, I have not followed the boards in quite a while.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce
    What is the 700P? Sorry, I have not followed the boards in quite a while.

the next palm version of the treo....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I'm in a similar boat with Sprint and a 650... I REALLY want the EVDO to do teathering, but don't like the idea of going backwards in screen resolution, loosing Chatter, and having to purchase new programs for things I already have on my 650. I'm willing to pay the higher price for Verizon's EVDO network... MAYBE... but to loose all the other stuff too is a hard pill for me to swallow.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    This of course all fair, and you gave it a good shot, but I just wanted to correct you on a factual issue. WM has "taken off" and outsell POS by at least 2:1. The marketshare breakdown between the two is about 64:36% WM:POS.
    Surur
    Thanks for correcting me. I'm actually very ;he reason is that I travel all the time and I have NEVER seen any Windows Mobile Cellphones at the airport. I see primarily BlackBerries and Treos. On the flight I was on this morning half the people in my section had Treo 650's. If Microsoft is selling more WM devices then Palm is selling PalmOS based cell phones its definitely not evident in my travels.

Kindest regards

M
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson
    I'm in a similar boat with Sprint and a 650... I REALLY want the EVDO to do teathering, but don't like the idea of going backwards in screen resolution, loosing Chatter, and having to purchase new programs for things I already have on my 650. I'm willing to pay the higher price for Verizon's EVDO network... MAYBE... but to loose all the other stuff too is a hard pill for me to swallow.

Me too (except I'm still using my trusty Treo 600)
    I am really enjoying the 700w. There is so much I like about it. agreed it is different, but having owned PPC in the past helps. I would pull the temptation trigger and go for it.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    UGh...

All I know is that even though I'm out of my contract...I am NOT switching to Verizion and pay those astronomical data fees. And I refuse to pay >>$400 USD for the phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    pzinsen
    i was in the same boat. 650 worked great and chatter OWA was the only way i could get to corporate email. but the tethering R-O-C-K s. just yesterday at work our network wnent down, i plugged in the 700 and voila 300-400 down which is enough to use outlook in cached exchange mode.

the phone app on the 700 KILLS the 650.

However, the huge negative in my book is that the email app completely stinks (compared to chatter). not even close.

I have 8 days left in my trial period and i swing back and forth.

also there are a bunch of little bugs which are not deal breakers (and likely will be resolved at some point) but they are a nuissance
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    UGh...

All I know is that even though I'm out of my contract...I am NOT switching to Verizion and pay those astronomical data fees. And I refuse to pay >>$400 USD for the phone...
    The data fees are not much different then Cingular. Cingular's unlimited data plan is 39.95 and Verizon's is 44.95. I was thinking it was alot higher as well until I moved over.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by callinectes
    pzinsen
    i was in the same boat. 650 worked great and chatter OWA was the only way i could get to corporate email. but the tethering R-O-C-K s. just yesterday at work our network wnent down, i plugged in the 700 and voila 300-400 down which is enough to use outlook in cached exchange mode.

the phone app on the 700 KILLS the 650.

However, the huge negative in my book is that the email app completely stinks (compared to chatter). not even close.

I have 8 days left in my trial period and i swing back and forth.

also there are a bunch of little bugs which are not deal breakers (and likely will be resolved at some point) but they are a nuissance
    Are you connected to a Exchange Server or personal account? MS is going to release the Push functionality in a service pack for WM5. Then I assume WM5 will be on par with blackberry's BES. I am currently using the SMS trigger feature and connected to a Exchange Server and find it light years better then what I had on my 650. I never got to use Chatter as it only support IMAP and my company does not.
    Brian McGuire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast