Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    I don't know what the big deal is. I used my 650 for over a year with no problems greater than any I've had with any other device. You can't keep loading programs on your desktop endlessly and not have problems. Some programs cause crashes. If you want a dependable, stupid-proof device, just get a phone that is not also a computer. The versatility of the Treo's comes with a bit of responsibility. If you can't navigate the traffic, stay in your sandbox.
    With the Treo 650 you might not be able to navigate the traffic because you don't have enough memory to run your GPS software or even Mapopolis for that matter.

Lady -- I'm not sure if he thinks I'm talking about applications crashing. I've got my 650 to the point where it's really stable. I go a little bonkers when there is the occasional glitch, freeze, reset and all the preferences gone, but for the most part it is rock solid.

That said, the 32MB of RAM is pathetic and it has been how many YEARS that Palm Treos have come with the SAME 32MB of RAM? If the Treo 600 had just barely enough and then you added a faster processor, upgraded OS and then obviously larger applications AND a release a good period of time after the 600, it is a no brainer that the RAM gets upgraded because of the need to deal with newer requirements. When is the last time that a year went by and you didn't see computers coming with more RAM for the same reason? The 650 is underpowered and it's a damned pain in the @$$ if you just go from the ancient Tungesten C which had TWICE the RAM as in the 650.

It is what it is and we all know what it is. Palm underpowered the 700w and it's unanimous. For the few of you who won't know the difference, great. For the rest, yeah you'll like your phone but you'll also want to give Colligan a big, swift kick in the @$$ having to deal with the issues that only you and no other PDA phone owner has to deal with...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I do memory management and only load what software I need too, but the fact still remains that people paid a lot for an underpowered device, on both platforms. On the 650, we got 32 TOTAL with 23 user available. That's paltry when you admit it. And the 700w is the only WM5 phone with 32MB RAM, ALL others are 64MB RAM(yes I did search). I'm not making any excuses for Palm anymore. You all can go ahead.
    you and everyone else on this subject are absoulutely wrong but i appreciate your views. people paid for a phone/pda/etc that they believed would function off of the shelves/out of the box and that is what they're getting. most of us didn't compare one to another, we just wanted a Windows based Treo. no one told us to go from a t600 to t650 to t700, they simply did what any free market economy would allow us to do (choose what they wanted). i don't care which device they chose but you're not supposed to put down a device on technical standard that might work for so many others. the T700w works! do you understand that, it works! it works without having to purchase ram and all that other crap for most of us. it works. the device works. the device works. it really works. does that do it for ya?
    I don't disagree, but the 700 has something or things that all those other phones don't have or it wouldn't already be so popular. Sure, there is nothing in existence that could not be improved in some manner. I wish the Treo could serve as an HD LCD projector. Now that would be a device.

Well, I'm going back to enjoying my awesome Treo 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    you and everyone else on this subject are absoulutely wrong but i appreciate your views. people paid for a phone/pda/etc that they believed would function off of the shelves/out of the box and that is what they're getting. most of us didn't compare one to another, we just wanted a Windows based Treo. no one told us to go from a t600 to t650 to t700, they simply did what any free market economy would allow us to do (choose what they wanted). i don't care which device they chose but you're not supposed to put down a device on technical standard that might work for so many others. the T700w works! do you understand that, it works! it works without having to purchase ram and all that other crap for most of us. it works. the device works. the device works. it really works. does that do it for ya?
    No.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The T700W is not a laptop replacement......
    It is when you're out of the office. Of course it won't do everything, but they put enough on it so you can use it as such when you're out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I run specific applications that cannot be run on T700W, I use my T700W
    for Phone,gps, calendar,email, task,sms. light internet use. all other I use laptop with
    evdo card. the T700W with 32mb is working well, for me.
    I just got my first memory error. I'm not going to dwell on the issure here because it doesn't really change anything. Heck, we may actually be able to write a hack that allows more program memory access to the internal memory. If you combine that with storing most of your progam data on a fast SD card it might just overcome this little defect.
    Try MemMaid. It has worked for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I wish this thing had 64 megs or ram. When I first loaded batterypack pro, I could'nt get a webpage to open (using opera, which is bloated as hell). Now things seem to have abated and bpp works fantasticlly (I love the close buttons and journal updates) with other programs now that opera is gone, but not being able to open verichat, opera, while having bat pack and journal bar running kind of obviates the point of a multitasking OS for my purposes.

However, once we find a way to get 64 megs of ram on this bad boy, i'll go to town buying apps for it
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I just got my first memory error. I'm not going to dwell on the issure here because it doesn't really change anything. Heck, we may actually be able to write a hack that allows more program memory access to the internal memory. If you combine that with storing most of your progam data on a fast SD card it might just overcome this little defect.
    If it comes with 32M of RAM, that's what you got. After having been through every hack, crack, trick and slick pice of software, I've come to the conclusion that you just have to get used to fighting the good fight. Does the 700w work like oalvarez says? Sure. But once you outgrow the very basics (like most will) then you have Palm to thank for needless perpetual attempts at memory management. All I'm saying is give it a few weeks and you'll be ready to shell out money for the "Kick Colligan" home edition. I really like my 650 but haven't forgotten who is responsible for my needless weekly fumbling.
    Why palm decided to save $0.34/unit in manufacturing costs by short-changing the RAM is beyond me. You would think they'd learned their lesson with the 650. Did no one at that company hear about the Motorola MPx fiasco?
    I don't disagree, but the 700 has something or things that all those other phones don't have or it wouldn't already be so popular. Sure, there is nothing in existence that could not be improved in some manner. I wish the Treo could serve as an HD LCD projector. Now that would be a device.

Well, I'm going back to enjoying my awesome Treo 700w.
    The upcoming Treo "monster" has that LCD Projector thing covered (see mssg 34)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=taser
    I don't disagree, but the 700 has something or things that all those other phones don't have or it wouldn't already be so popular.
    Well popular may not be the right word. Palm sold 600,000 Treos in 4th quarter versus 245 million mobile phones sold in the same period. It's a niche prouct and is doing well but not exactly trouncing the competition. Whether the initial "bubble" will burst is too early to tell as pent up demand and the "I gotta have the latest gadget crowd" get on board in the first 30 - 60 days. Plus this time around, there's not only the pent up demand from peeps with aging Treos finally reaching the end of their 2 year contracts but also the corporate world who can't fathom anything without a windows logo on it.

Whether it can continue in the face of competition from other WM5 devices as well as the new palms is still a question.

I have to agree with most of the mag reviewers. The 700w is not the landmark introduction that the 600 and 650 was. The 700w is a good product with some distinguishing features but which carries some trade offs much as its competition does. I don't think WiFi or lack of is a big deal nor that EVDO is a huge thing. My handheld is for when I am not in the office, not just my office but any office. The majority of that time I am driving and I don't do much e-mail or web browsing then. If I am gonna put my arse down in a chair for more than 30 minutes, I can be much more productive on laptop using 10 fingers to type instead of two.

I kinda think of it as "Refrigerator Perry" kinda thing. It's nice having a 320+ plus dude with no agility for close yardage goal line situation but it will get more press time as a "wow wasn't that cool" thing . While darn useful in unique and rare situations, it's not gonna have a real impact on the team's "yards per game". The reason Verizon charges more for laptop access to EVDO than Treo EVDO is that it's quite obvious that there gonna be a hell of a lot mor data flyin on the laptop than on the Treo. The reason business will pay that difference is that they also recognize the differences in productivity.

While the Treo, all of em, can do a lot of things, it's hardly the absolute best at many of them. A $29 walkman is gonna have far better sound for playing music than a $600 Treo. The Treos advanatge is that it does core business productivity well.....and in a pinch it can "get by" with many other things. Making a decision on a product purchase because of peripheral "in a pinch" criteria is not sound business. CFO's will make 700w decisions on whether the thing can keep them in touch with their emloyees. It's ability to play movies, music an other "fringe" uses while a bonus for gadgeteers to play with, I don't think will have real impact on volume sales. And it's those volume slaes that Plam has to pay close attention to. When selling 1,000 units to a company, the dudes doing the ourchasing certainly undertand $599 vesrus $549 more than they do 64 Mb versus 96 MB. I think Palm had a certain upset cost which their researc determines was the 'corporate ceiling" and then developed a product to fit below that ceiling. Later will come the ground breaking devices, and ground breaking price tags, but only fater they establish brand acceptance in the WM arena.

Those with a historic palm bent whose IT departments want Windows compatability will flock to the 700w. Those outfits who have long been using Windows Mobile will stick with who they been using or go with the "low bidder". Individuals who want the best they can get for their money and who want a WM device will grab the 700w. But It's gonna be hard to move the 650 owner, well all but the "I gotta have latest and greatest" crowd, over to the 700w as it:

1) Does not have any "must have" features
    2) Has some lost usability
    3) Does not offer cost effective upgrade path for "existing customers"
    4) Requires substantial reinvestment in software.

I think Palm will be quite happy with its first foray into the WM5 arena but I don't think Palm will hit it's stride until it gains some brand recognition within corparte IT. Once that's done I think they will introduce some groundbreaking units around when we are starting threads on "where's the 750w" and "where's the 800w".
    JackNaylorPE;
    Very well said
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Are we any closer to a yes or no on the RAM upgrde?
    I was wondering when someone was gonna ask that. I'm looking forward to buying a 700w on Sprint--if Palm wises up and gives us 64MB. I've been using a PPC-6700 and can't imagine having any less RAM. I've always got at least 6 or 7 apps running and around 10-12MB of program memory free. Even at that, I can tell the 6700 is getting a bit sluggish. It feels like a time warp coming back here and hearing all the same "why didn't Palm put in enough RAM again?" talk. But oh, how I miss the Treo form factor... When is anyone ever going to get it mostly right?

Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I was wondering when someone was gonna ask that. I'm looking forward to buying a 700w on Sprint--if Palm wises up and gives us 64MB. I've been using a PPC-6700 and can't imagine having any less RAM. I've always got at least 6 or 7 apps running and around 10-12MB of program memory free. Even at that, I can tell the 6700 is getting a bit sluggish. It feels like a time warp coming back here and hearing all the same "why didn't Palm put in enough RAM again?" talk. But oh, how I miss the Treo form factor... When is anyone ever going to get it mostly right?
    Todd - Palm is not going to "give" you more RAM. The 700w has been crippled with only 32MB of RAM and that's what you get. They believe that this is fine and for some users, all they need open is one or two apps and they are small. Palm has their production lines set and this isn't about to change and probably won't at any time. For those of us who bought the Treo 650 which was out years ago, Palm has still refused to provide WiFi drivers for SD cards. It's that simple. Palm wants you to buy as many devices as possible and not give you a solution that should last you for a while.

While the form factor is very good, it's a daily reminder that makes for a less than completely enjoyable experience. Either suck it up and know that Palm wants you to buy another or, like me and others, go for another phone or see whether Palm ever gets wise while it's still around and produces a complete quality and value phone.
    I can always hold out hope that the Sprint version will ship with 64MB. If not, I'll stick with my PPC-6700 and not give the 700w a second thought. So keep griping, everyone! (yeah, that worked in the 650 days...).

If PPC tech can get this done, they're gonna be busy.

Todd/Indy
    Bumping...any updates?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast