Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    my treo has 32mb of ram, i haven't upgraded anything, have always said that wi-fi is not a neccessity (for me) and i have a warranty that came with the device. i think you have lost your mind.
    Regardless of my sanity, if you are interested in upgrading the RAM then it will cost you somewhere between $100-150 and you will lose your warranty. I believe that is the topic of this thread. But hey, your 700w seems not to be afflicted with any of the memory issues that numerous others have reported.

I'm happy that you have money to burn as you've mentioned and that $50 per month for data access isn't a problem for you, financially or otherwise. Not needing WiFi, even more super and I guess there aren't many who would use it anyways. Heck, if you don't require any third party apps, even better! After all, how many will use their phone for anything more than contacts and email? And hey, if you don't need to use the PDA at all then the memory should not be an issue!

To me, this thread has just confirmed the fact that Palm is trying to squeeze as many purchases out of the form factor as possible at the significant expense of current features. It is also known as the dreaded "650 syndrome." That shouldn't bother you at all. Enjoy your phone. Love it. Evangelize it. Joy to the world. Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Regardless of my sanity, if you are interested in upgrading the RAM then it will cost you somewhere between $100-150 and you will lose your warranty. I believe that is the topic of this thread. But hey, your 700w seems not to be afflicted with any of the memory issues that numerous others have reported.

I'm happy that you have money to burn as you've mentioned and that $50 per month for data access isn't a problem for you, financially or otherwise. Not needing WiFi, even more super and I guess there aren't many who would use it anyways. Heck, if you don't require any third party apps, even better! After all, how many will use their phone for anything more than contacts and email? And hey, if you don't need to use the PDA at all then the memory should not be an issue!

To me, this thread has just confirmed the fact that Palm is trying to squeeze as many purchases out of the form factor as possible at the significant expense of current features. It is also known as the dreaded "650 syndrome." That shouldn't bother you at all. Enjoy your phone. Love it. Evangelize it. Joy to the world. Peace.
    Peace to you.
    Hey, Slinky.....we're famous! 8,238 views! or is it notorious?

see ya around
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Hey, Slinky.....we're famous! 8,238 views! or is it notorious?

see ya around
    Do you want to do a road show?
    Warranty, well they won't know until it gets returned and by then its a) too late, b) they will replace the chip and c) they won't know where the device came from, you will lose your money and memory upgrade.

I have done memory upgrades never had a failure as a result and I have the insurance so it may cost me $50 but I WILL get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Spec sheet for the 32MB (256Mb or 268,435,456 bits ) SDRAM in case anyone is interested.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi..._c_l_f-r01.pdf

I'm half tempted to do it myself (used to do this kind of stuff when I was in the DRAM industry) but my device is running fine (for me) with the memory it has....and im on my third one so I think im stretching my luck on returning it in case something goes horribly wrong.

(First one had a few dead pixels..second one had a stuck left action button)
    Not to sound repetitive, but I'm one of the throng who've been lurking on the site, waiting for any "good news" about memory on the Treo 700w. Essentially the Treo 700w is everything I want exept for, of course, the screen (which I can live with and have faith that demand will lead to apps formatted to fit 240x240), and only having ~14MB user available RAM of the 32. I know there are some tweaks out there to squeeze out any possible remaining RAM away from WM05, but I would really like to not have to constantly worry about memory management, and am really hoping that the memory upgrade turns out to be successful.

I guess what I'm getting at: any update on if it'll work?

Every day I almost go to the store to get the 700w, but I just can't bring myself to get something that I feel is so pointlessly "gimped" (unless battery life was really that much worse...but I think I'd be happier with a battery that didn't last as long, since I can always carry around a spare, but I can't just carry around spare RAM to pop in when I need it)
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse
    Not to sound repetitive, but I'm one of the throng who've been lurking on the site, waiting for any "good news" about memory on the Treo 700w. Essentially the Treo 700w is everything I want exept for, of course, the screen (which I can live with and have faith that demand will lead to apps formatted to fit 240x240), and only having ~14MB user available RAM of the 32. I know there are some tweaks out there to squeeze out any possible remaining RAM away from WM05, but I would really like to not have to constantly worry about memory management, and am really hoping that the memory upgrade turns out to be successful.

I guess what I'm getting at: any update on if it'll work?

Every day I almost go to the store to get the 700w, but I just can't bring myself to get something that I feel is so pointlessly "gimped" (unless battery life was really that much worse...but I think I'd be happier with a battery that didn't last as long, since I can always carry around a spare, but I can't just carry around spare RAM to pop in when I need it)
    This has been the problem I have had with the 650, that I still use. It's not only that I HATE having to constantly manage memory but it's also the fact that I know that Palm is pulling a fast one on me and I'm reminded of it every time I look at the device. Fortunately I got a free upgraded 650. I wouldn't think of spending $400+ and a 2 year commitment just to get snookered yet AGAIN by Palm. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...
    That's almost exactly what I've been trying to say! I do love the 650, but this is the end of low memory Treos for me! Or any other PDA device that's $400+!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd

I have done memory upgrades never had a failure as a result and I have the insurance so it may cost me $50 but I WILL get a replacement.
    A replacement, yes. But a free replacement? I wouldn't count on it. The warrenty clearly excludes intentional actions, and once they figure out WHY the Treo stopped working they'd simply bill you for the cost of the new phone. And likely add the charge to your Verizon bill.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    A replacement, yes. But a free replacement? I wouldn't count on it. The warrenty clearly excludes intentional actions, and once they figure out WHY the Treo stopped working they'd simply bill you for the cost of the new phone. And likely add the charge to your Verizon bill.
    As does the insurance.
    Whoops!

My phone dropped in the trash!

tech
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I ran across this article explaining what WM5 does with memory.
    Where's My Ram

This might help also:

RAM, ROM, NAND, NOR--that's a lot of capital letters
    Last edited by nuflat; 01/26/2006 at 03:42 PM.
    The best part about the first article is this statement near the conclusion:

"You obviously can't have a 32M device if 14M are gone before you start loading applications."

But that's exactly what we have! If it's so "obvious" to the WM5 developers at MS, how the heck did they let Palm tarnish the reputation of their OS be only putting in 32MB? Now, if our device had this NOR ROM he talks about that can execute in place, that would be a different story, but that's not my impression. Otherwise we wouldn't be booting up with less than 14MB free before executing any applications.
    I have 11 and change free after a soft reboot.
    Sad, just sad.

I love the phone though.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    The best part about the first article is this statement near the conclusion:

"You obviously can't have a 32M device if 14M are gone before you start loading applications."

But that's exactly what we have! If it's so "obvious" to the WM5 developers at MS, how the heck did they let Palm tarnish the reputation of their OS be only putting in 32MB? Now, if our device had this NOR ROM he talks about that can execute in place, that would be a different story, but that's not my impression. Otherwise we wouldn't be booting up with less than 14MB free before executing any applications.
    Palm only tarnished its own reputation. When Palm owners scream to someone then the fingers get pointed back at Palm. As I said, in being a 650 owner, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

Regardless, shame on Palm and may the 700w sink their bottom line like a stone so that the executives don't get bonuses and learn to stop screwing their customers...
    The real issue is how much does a 64MB chip cost these days?
    Not enough, not to put one in a device that already cost $600.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    It is also known as the dreaded "650 syndrome."
    I don't know what the big deal is. I used my 650 for over a year with no problems greater than any I've had with any other device. You can't keep loading programs on your desktop endlessly and not have problems. Some programs cause crashes. If you want a dependable, stupid-proof device, just get a phone that is not also a computer. The versatility of the Treo's comes with a bit of responsibility. If you can't navigate the traffic, stay in your sandbox.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    I don't know what the big deal is. I used my 650 for over a year with no problems greater than any I've had with any other device. You can't keep loading programs on your desktop endlessly and not have problems. Some programs cause crashes. If you want a dependable, stupid-proof device, just get a phone that is not also a computer. The versatility of the Treo's comes with a bit of responsibility. If you can't navigate the traffic, stay in your sandbox.
    I agree!
    I do memory management and only load what software I need too, but the fact still remains that people paid a lot for an underpowered device, on both platforms. On the 650, we got 32 TOTAL with 23 user available. That's paltry when you admit it. And the 700w is the only WM5 phone with 32MB RAM, ALL others are 64MB RAM(yes I did search). I'm not making any excuses for Palm anymore. You all can go ahead.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/26/2006 at 09:50 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast