Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    256 divided by 8 is 32, so that means it indeed has only 32?
    I think what he is saying is that the chip was measured in megabits... hmmm... by doing the math, 256/8 = 32 and 512/8 = 64. Thus those would be the megabyte equivalents.
    The math is exactly what I was thinking of. But I asked anyway to be sure. It's a big letdown.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    tremendous blow after circum-navigating the 64-32mb ram globe for weeks now, only to arrive at our initial suppositions. well, i suppose us users only have two options: continue to use our phones as we have been or continue to use our phones as we have been. sure has been a tremendous learning experience.

maybe if we stare at our Treo's long enough we'll be able to "will" additonally memory into them! in all seriousness, i'm sure a memory upgrade will become available at some point for those who want/need it.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    tremendous blow after circum-navigating the 64-32mb ram globe for weeks now, only to arrive at our initial suppositions. well, i suppose us users only have two options: continue to use our phones as we have been or continue to use our phones as we have been. sure has been a tremendous learning experience.
    What is so funny is the incredible hype and build up that goes on here. 32MB or RAM was in there. Every 700w owner making an excuse why Palm might have just put in a bigger chip in there, in total contrast to the desire to ensure that every can penny squeezed out.

maybe if we stare at our Treo's long enough we'll be able to "will" additonally memory into them! in all seriousness, i'm sure a memory upgrade will become available at some point for those who want/need it.
    That's actually pretty funny, and I think what has been going on here for this long thread! Still, I think $150 and losing your warranty is a HUGE price to pay for form factor. Again, no offense and I'm happy you like your 700w but this is why I think Palm deserves the rancor. There is no reason you should have to be putting a measly 32MB of RAM in there at a tremendous cost to you.
    I agree Slinky and wish there was a viable alternative.

Palm and MS are a great marriage of two companies which are skilled at maximizing their profits and irritating power users. This is no different from the first Palm V which (as I recall) only had 1MB of memory. Palm made money off of it from those who really didn't need more than the basic apps. They later came out with one with twice the memory for the rest of us. How long do you think it will be before a 750wx comes out with 64MB useable memory?

I'd pay $150 only because I need more memory now in an otherwise excellent Smartphone.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I agree Slinky and wish there was a viable alternative.

Palm and MS are a great marriage of two companies which are skilled at maximizing their profits and irritating power users. This is no different from the first Palm V which (as I recall) only had 1MB of memory. Palm made money off of it from those who really didn't need more than the basic apps. They later came out with one with twice the memory for the rest of us. How long do you think it will be before a 750wx comes out with 64MB useable memory?

I'd pay $150 only because I need more memory now in an otherwise excellent Smartphone.
    The real kicker though is that everyone else already put in the 64MB. That's why I hope Palm gets kicked in the teeth. I hope the marketing machine to built a crappier mousetrap fails miserably for them. Long live innovation and giving the consumer the value they deserve.
    The math is exactly what I was thinking of. But I asked anyway to be sure. It's a big letdown.
    It is only a letdown if the device doesn't perform. For me, so far it performs exceptionally well, better then my K-Jam with the same programs installed.
    There's no excuse to put 32 on a device like that. Those who don't care, fine. But 64 is the standard on a device like that.

I wonder if the processor might be helping the performance, it's higher than the K-Jam. Which is one good thing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    What is so funny is the incredible hype and build up that goes on here. 32MB or RAM was in there. Every 700w owner making an excuse why Palm might have just put in a bigger chip in there, in total contrast to the desire to ensure that every can penny squeezed out.

That's actually pretty funny, and I think what has been going on here for this long thread! Still, I think $150 and losing your warranty is a HUGE price to pay for form factor. Again, no offense and I'm happy you like your 700w but this is why I think Palm deserves the rancor. There is no reason you should have to be putting a measly 32MB of RAM in there at a tremendous cost to you.
    the first quote was in jest to Lady Treo....you think i give a cra p what chip is in there? i've said from day one that the thing works out of the box, for me. i'm tired of everyone else telling me that it doesn't work. lady treo (without a treo) makes me laugh and i thank her for that. thank you too, Slink.

why don't you start forgetting what might be a cost to some? have you ever thought that a cost to some may be a burden to you? maybe it's not a cost to them but only to you. see it from both sides.
    There's no excuse to put 32 on a device like that. Those who don't care, fine. But 64 is the standard on a device like that.

I wonder if the processor might be helping the performance, it's higher than the K-Jam. Which is one good thing.
    crud, i didn't check with you prior to purchasing the treo 700...funny, it seems to work without your comments on what is "standard." you think that only applies to me? yep, i bet the processor does a great job, comparatively. what in the world is a k-jam? is that a rap-artist or a radio station? please tell me, what in the world is it that you use that is so superior to these devices other than a Treo which this this site is devoted to? ok, let me guess, this site is no longer devoted to Treos, it's only still named TreoCentral. The last time i checked this place was called TreoCentral, has that changed? I'd be more than glad to go over to pdaphonehome.com if it meant getting away from some of your asinine commentary....the phone works for most of us. hey, why not try helping those on the 700 board as opposed to disgracing them? have you ever contemplated the fact that some might like the 700 regardless of the drivel that is found on this board? hec, if anything, why not call this place TreoCentral minus 700? the 700 works, if it doesn't work for you, spend more time on your board!

what devices is it that you use?
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/22/2006 at 11:13 PM.
    crud, i didn't check with you prior to purchasing the treo 700...funny, it seems to work without your comments on what is "standard." you think that only applies to me? what in the world is a k-jam? is that a rap-artist? please tell me, what in the world is it that you use that is so superior to these other Treo 700 owners on this board? The last time i checked this place was called TreoCentral, has that changed? I'd be more than glad to go over to pdaphonehome.com if it meant getting away from some of your asinine commentary....the phone works for most of us. hey, why not try helping those on the 700 board as opposed to disgracing them?

what devices is it that you use?

Why don't you try searching:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22K-Jam%22

The K-Jam, AKA QTek 9100, AKA HTC-Wizard is like Sprint's PPC 6700.

Most WM5 phone / PDAs I've seen have at least 64MB of memory for running apps.. The Treo 700W would be like a Treo 650 with only 16MB of memory and maybe 3/4 the dbcache it has and with the Treo 600 screen resolution. But hey, if that works for you and others then I'm happy.
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 01/22/2006 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Why don't you try searching:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22K-Jam%22

The K-Jam, AKA QTek 9100, AKA HTC-Wizard. Most WM5 phone / PDAs I've seen have at least 64MB of memory for running apps.. The Treo 700W would be like a Treo 650 with only 16MB of memory and maybe 3/4 the dbcache it has and with the Treo 600 screen resolution. But hey, if that works for you and others then I'm happy.
    great, thanks. not for me. don't care for the fumbling/tumbling/rotating/squaring/pulling out the keyboard/waiting for the screen to load aspect of the device. but hey, if that works for you and others then I'm happy
    great, thanks. not for me. don't care for the fumbling/tumbling/rotating/squaring/pulling out the keyboard/waiting for the screen to load aspect of the device. but hey, if that works for you and others then I'm happy
    No thanks. Just showing you what Lady Treo was talking about since it seems the thought of searching had escaped you. Where did you see that I am using a K-Jam? I like my Treo 650 and have alot of money invested in Palm software already (been a PalmOS user for 4+ years now) and the 240x240 resolution of the 700W is not very impressive. I can't wait until the 700P is released.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    why don't you start forgetting what might be a cost to some? have you ever thought that a cost to some may be a burden to you? maybe it's not a cost to them but only to you. see it from both sides.
    Now THIS is what really makes me giggle. A very select few might also hire NFL cheerleaders to gently stroke their 700w so that it feels the love it deserves.

First, as we've established you're willing to pay up the wazoo for RAM, lose your warranty AND pay for WiFi (and lose your SD card) if you want it, then no matter which way you slice it, dice it or justify it, SOMEBODY in relation to you is paying for it -- either you or your business.

Second, when a fraction of people are willing to spend possible more money than the phone costs just to upgrade the BASIC features of the phone, I do giggle my a$$ off. I giggled my **** off when I went to the opening night of Star Wars I (thanks to a friend who had some connections to get into the theatre and see the show... and also the movie.) Yes, I can afford $50 per month Internet and paying roughly $300 for an extra measly 32MB of RAM and for a no-storage WiFi SD card to lose my warranty on my $400 phone. But it doesn't mean I or the majority of other users enjoy bending over and taking in the pleasure of overpayment. While you've said some very reasonable things, oalvarez, extending such pleasures onto numerous others could label you as a 700w fanboy.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Mommy--Daddy--Plz stop fighting
    Now THIS is what really makes me giggle. A very select few might also hire NFL cheerleaders to gently stroke their 700w so that it feels the love it deserves.
    700w? That's a funny nickname for it.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    700w? That's a funny nickname for it.
    LOL. For some people the phrase "Palm Device" means so many different things... Anyone see Avenue A? "EV-DO is Made For...." LOL...
    LOL. For some people the phrase "Palm Device" means so many different things... Anyone see Avenue A? "EV-DO is Made For...." LOL...

...Palm Device...LOL...I've been checking this thread since it started...now I don't even remember the original subject...

First, as we've established you're willing to pay up the wazoo for RAM, lose your warranty AND pay for WiFi (and lose your SD card) if you want it, then no matter which way you slice it, dice it or justify it, SOMEBODY in relation to you is paying for it -- either you or your business.

Second, when a fraction of people are willing to spend possible more money than the phone costs just to upgrade the BASIC features of the phone, I do giggle my a$$ off. I giggled my **** off when I went to the opening night of Star Wars I (thanks to a friend who had some connections to get into the theatre and see the show... and also the movie.) Yes, I can afford $50 per month Internet and paying roughly $300 for an extra measly 32MB of RAM and for a no-storage WiFi SD card to lose my warranty on my $400 phone. But it doesn't mean I or the majority of other users enjoy bending over and taking in the pleasure of overpayment. While you've said some very reasonable things, oalvarez, extending such pleasures onto numerous others could label you as a 700w fanboy.
    my treo has 32mb of ram, i haven't upgraded anything, have always said that wi-fi is not a neccessity (for me) and i have a warranty that came with the device. i think you have lost your mind.