Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Neospazzy......could you call PCCTech and ask them what the the number was on the memory chip they removed? Then we should be able to trace down what it actually is 32 or 64.

Also ask them if they think the Treo being unable to recognize the 64 mb they put in there is a hardware limitation or possibly a software issue blocking it?
    It has to be more of a BIOS problem than a software problem. Think about it, Windows Mobile 5 is going to be in a lot of applications to come. Why make a limitation for addressable memory for one version of the software only to change it later.

I can totally see it being 64MB, OS loads from ROM/Internal Flash to RAM taking up 38MB+ of space, leaving 25MB of available room for user programs, etc.

What should really be happening is an upgrade from 64 to 128 and have ~90MB of ram for free.
    But the question comes in because Palm made, or at least gave the impression it was going to make thru rumors ect..., extensive mods to the WM enviroment. I agree, that if it proves to be a 64 mb chip chances are chip set limitation or a BIOS equivalent. But we would still be guessing.

I think putting in a 128 mb chip would be a good test.
    But the question comes in because Palm made, or at least gave the impression it was going to make thru rumors ect..., extensive mods to the WM enviroment. I agree, that if it proves to be a 64 mb chip chances are chip set limitation or a BIOS equivalent. But we would still be guessing.

I think putting in a 128 mb chip would be a good test.
    I don't think they did that much considering the other devices seem to have this configuration standard as well as Verizon employees on Howard Forums posting the hardware specs of the phone. Everywhere I have read, 128MB Flash Storage/ROM, 60MB RAM, 4MB RAM (private and untouchable). The XV6700 has the exact same specs and the exact same screen when you look at the storage utilization under settings->system.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuBiCaNT
    I don't think they did that much considering the other devices seem to have this configuration standard as well as Verizon employees on Howard Forums posting the hardware specs of the phone. Everywhere I have read, 128MB Flash Storage/ROM, 60MB RAM, 4MB RAM (private and untouchable). The XV6700 has the exact same specs and the exact same screen when you look at the storage utilization under settings->system.
    I posed the question in the general 6700 announcement thread @ HoFo questioning what the memory was:

As of right now out of the box, Initial memory for programs is 49.42MB, with 19.55MB in use, and 29.87MB free. For storage, there is 43.50MB total, with 7.07MB in use, and 36.43MB free. That is without any card in it yet.
    Seems like at least twice more memory available for Program memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun
    I posed the question in the general 6700 announcement thread @ HoFo questioning what the memory was:

Seems like at least twice more memory available for Program memory.

hmmmm... A mystery indeed... I am curious to know what that Cingular HTC 8125 breaks down in terms of memory usage.
  6.    #66  
    If the BIOS is accessible on the Treo's, then we may know for sure!
  7.    #67  
    Neospazzy......could you call PCCTech and ask them what the the number was on the memory chip they removed? Then we should be able to trace down what it actually is 32 or 64.

Also ask them if they think the Treo being unable to recognize the 64 mb they put in there is a hardware limitation or possibly a software issue blocking it?
    What doesn't make sense here is that I had a Dell Axim X50v with the upgraded WM5 OS installed on it. It had 64MB of RAM and about 40MB was user accessible (it also had 128MB of ROM which 90MB was user accessible). Lloyd told me it was a 32MB chip they removed and replaced it with 64MB on the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neospazzy
    What doesn't make sense here is that I had a Dell Axim X50v with the upgraded WM5 OS installed on it. It had 64MB of RAM and about 40MB was user accessible (it also had 128MB of ROM which 90MB was user accessible). Lloyd told me it was a 32MB chip they removed and replaced it with 64MB on the Treo.
    Was the 32mb chip the only chip that was removed?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Did PPCtechs fall off the face of the earth or what? Has anyone gotten an update?? I've read they have received other 700s to play with (RAM,) while others have calls into them re: their progress with the memory issue...

Sorry, just eager. I want one, but not with 32mb as my only option.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Have them post the numbers off the chip they took out of that one 700w...if it actually turned out to be a 64MB chip they took out for another 64MB chip i could understand how embarrassed they would be
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Have them post the numbers off the chip they took out of that one 700w...if it actually turned out to be a 64MB chip they took out for another 64MB chip i could understand how embarrassed they would be
    ...on top of not assembling the first phone correctly. Remember the one wiht the dead screen?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    ...on top of not assembling the first phone correctly. Remember the one wiht the dead screen?
    Ok, I have worked with PPCT a lot in the past and they to VERY good work. Lloyd and crew know what they are doing.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this is a 32MB device. No other WM devices partition memory the way some have suggested in this thread. I find it hard to believe that Palm is so far ahead of the game that they have reserved a whole 32MB of ram just for the OS.

Lets face it guys, it is a 128MB ROM, 32MB RAM device.

I also think that there is some sort of bios or system update that needs to happen for the OS to see the new RAM. I find it interesting that both the upgrade for the 650 and 700 yield the same results with different operating system. This leads me to believe that there is something that needs to be updated on the firmware/bios/bootloader etc...

Just my .02
    Count me in for the upgrade as well if its a go. They did the upgrade on my 6515 and it was a whole new device. Palm needs to get past the PalmOS limitations and put the right amount of RAM into their WM devices.
    I'm going way beyond my area of expertise, but this 32MB limit with a 64MB chip is not the first occurrence of this problem. When the XDA2 got an unofficial upgrade to WM5 they were also suddenly reduced from 128MB ram to only 25MB ram free. It turns out the ROM image they "procured" was hardcoded to see only 32MB of the available 128MB ram. A hardworking hacker called buzzlightyear managed to develop a patch for the ROM which allowed the OS to see the whole 128MB available.

In essence then, after the Treo 700w gets upgraded to a 64MB the ROM needs to be modified to see the whole 64MB. The good news is that the procedure should be very similar between this and the XDA2, as they are both HTC devices, and has now been developed to be safe and easy. I suggest some-one post over at http://buzzdev.net/ or http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php and ask Buzz for some help.

Note: This will only be useful AFTER the hardware itself is upgraded.

Some interesting reading included, so people can see the similarity for themselves.
    http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...=Himalaya_2005

Surur

PS: In return for their help I know the hackers there would love to get their hands on the Palm today plug-ins. Dont be surprised if they ask for those first before appearing to help you.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    This is all speculation. As much as we'd like to believe the best we still don't know what chip the guys from PPCT removed and why it was necessary for the upgrade.
    What if they have a 64mb RAM chip ALREADY in there and are waiting for you to send your phone to Palm to have it "upgraded" where they slap a patch on there and voila, you have 32MB more system RAM. I doubt they would do such a thing because you have a very smart community using these devices and they would be had immediately, but I can see it regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    This is all speculation. As much as we'd like to believe the best we still don't know what chip the guys from PPCT removed and why it was necessary for the upgrade.
    If I were a betting man (and I am) I would bet that the chip that was removed was a 32MB chip and they installed a 64MB chip. There is something else, probably something that needs to be udpated on the phone that allows the phone to recognize the additional memory.
    I called them up but the techs were out to lunch. Basically they told me that they have not yet figured out if an upgrade was possible yet but once they do (if they do) they would post it on their website.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    From their site:

"Pocket PC Techs is now selling a bundle of accessories for the Palm Treo 700w. Unfortunately, those of you holding out for a RAM upgrade will have to wait as it's not available at this point in time."

Well, that doesn't sound to hopeful. Guess I'll stick with the i730 for now.
    Uggg. Ya know, as I use this device more and more, the whole memory issue is becoming less important. I've never been one to have multiple apps running and maybe I'm naive in thinking this, but I do think that developers will pick up the slack in getting some old favs to work on the Treo and WM5 in general. It still would be nice if they could accomplish the memory upgrade.
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast