Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    tell them to double check the ribbon cable from the screen to the board... I have taken my phone apart many times and sometimes I don't get the cable in enough or it comes loose. Connector is a *****!!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Actually I think DiskOn chip refers to the M-System Nand chips:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/M-..._Ready_Program

http://www.m-systems.com/site/en-US

Whether it is upgradable or not separate from the proc, I'm not sure...
    You are correct, that's exactly the chips they use. We have a thread about this at my forums and some pictures of the actual chips. They are hidden underneath some RF shielding. Uses a TFFS filesystem...
    Did they mention if they need other units for additional testing?

From what you say, I guess they didn't replace the old memory chip back to see if this fixed the display problem. This would at least gave more of an indication of whether the problem was a software issue rather than a hardware problem. I would HOPE that they tried everything they could with regard to the ribbon/main board connection before returning the unit back.

The "good news" is the unit boots and works. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't think to try ActiveSync Remote Display before returning the unit back to you. For something this important (they will get a lot of business from this), I'm even more surprised that they returned the unit back to you so soon without attempting to get other units in for testing and comparison. I'm sure that if they saw the memory increase using ActiveSync Remote Display, there will be no shortage of volunteers to send their 700's in for a free go. Heck I'd be first in line.

Can you at least try reading the memory using ActiveSync Remote Display before returning the phone? Kind of keep our hopes alive until someone has some good news to offer...

Meat
    Rather than risking this sort of surgery, what software solutions are available to use an SD card as swap space for the operating system and/or storage for programs?
    If there ever is one and if it is even possible via a software solution.....it would add real long delays....but at the benefit of at least not having to close programs to load others.
  6.    #46  
    As most of you have mentioned, I should have run Activesync Remote Display or Total Commander to see if the memory upgrade worked before I turned it in this morning. Now I feel like Charlie Brown as he bashes his head up against the wall ...

"AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!"
    Test
    Quote Originally Posted by meatster
    Test
    Had to post to see if this thread was real or just a bad dream....

Meat
  9.    #49  
    *UPDATE*

Lloyd from PPCTech called me to let me know that they had another 700w for an upgrade. He realized that, while disconnecting the LCD display ribbon cable from the board of the new unit, the ribbon cable connectors were DEEP. In layman's term, he believes my now-returned unit's LCD cable may have not been inserted back deep enough to reach the connectors on the board. You were right NONOBEEZ!

Anyhow, they upgraded the memory on this new unit to 64MB, but the OS is still showing 25.24. Everything is working fine ... it is just that the OS doesn't seem to see past the initial 32MB of the chip. Kinda what was happining with the Treo 650. PPCTech isn't giving up on this issue and will follow up if they find something.
    Last edited by Neospazzy; 01/12/2006 at 05:58 PM.
    Awwww I was so hoping this would work out for you.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neospazzy
    *UPDATE*

Lloyd from PPCTech called me to let me know that they had another 700w for an upgrade. He realized that, while disconnecting the LCD display ribbon cable from the board of the new unit, the ribbon cable connectors were DEEP. In layman's term, he believes my now-returned unit's LCD cable may have not been inserted back deep enough to reach the connectors on the board. You were right NONOBEEZ!

Anyhow, they upgraded the memory on this new unit to 64MB, but the OS is still showing 25.24. Everything is working fine ... it is just that the OS doesn't seem to see past the initial 32MB of the chip. Kinda what was happining with the Treo 650. PPCTech isn't giving up on this issue and will follow up if they find something.

I wonder if what could be happening on the 700w is what is happening to my 650P ??? I was the guinea pig for the 64Mb 650P that first sent PPCTECH's my Treo. Hopefully they can figure it out and maybe it will work with my 650P too, as I would really like to just keep my 650 as I like the Palm OS so much better for now. God Bless.
    I thought I would bump this up to see if there was any update. Did PPC Techs ever figure out how to get the device to recognize the additional RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    I thought I would bump this up to see if there was any update. Did PPC Techs ever figure out how to get the device to recognize the additional RAM?
    I am willing to bet it's going to take a registry hack or an update from MS.
    Please get your storry straight. 700w has 128MB non-volatile memory of which 60MB are available for programs installation (unless you pop a 2GB SD card in and install all applications to it). 32MB is the application working space, memory used to run applications. This 32MB is the part that gets deleted when you soft reset. I am sure a 2GB 133MHz fast SD memory card is by far cheaper than your approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileKitty
    Please get your storry straight. 700w has 128MB non-volatile memory of which 60MB are available for programs installation (unless you pop a 2GB SD card in and install all applications to it). 32MB is the application working space, memory used to run applications. This 32MB is the part that gets deleted when you soft reset. I am sure a 2GB 133MHz fast SD memory card is by far cheaper than your approach.

How is getting a 2GB SD card going to fix the problem of running out of RAM when too many applications are opened?
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileKitty
    32MB is the application working space, memory used to run applications. This 32MB is the part that gets deleted when you soft reset.
    Easy on "get your story straight." If you read the entire thread, it is pretty clear that the 32MB of "application working space" as you call it is what they are talking about, not the 128MB of flash memory.
  17.    #58  
    Although it wouldn't hurt upgrading the 128MB of ROM to 2-4GB like the iPod Nano, nTaylor is right ... we are talking about the 32MB of RAM (app working space). No word from PPCTech as of yet. The primary reason for this upgrade beside multitasking ... is to alleviate the number of reboots on the unit due to WM5 known memory leaks on the RAM portion of the device.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neospazzy
    So this is the real bottom line. These guys KNOW the chips that are in the device. If upgrading the working memory to 64MB of RAM requires a chip replacement, then this isn't a "slider" issue where the 128MB of "memory" is allocated. It's a hardware replacement. Why not just ask these guys what they did and why they had to remove the chip and what was replace. Additionally, if they replaced a chip with programs on it then all of it would have been gone too, which makes me believe that WM acts more like a HD and RAM in a typical PC.

These guys know, not some phone rep in training in the Palm sales department.
    Neospazzy......could you call PCCTech and ask them what the the number was on the memory chip they removed? Then we should be able to trace down what it actually is 32 or 64.

Also ask them if they think the Treo being unable to recognize the 64 mb they put in there is a hardware limitation or possibly a software issue blocking it?
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast