Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes View Post
    I'm sure it will be in some Sprint stores this weekend. Some Palm Retail stores are already selling them. Go with Sprint, the data plans are so cheap.
    There are reasons why not evryone can or would want to leave Verizon:

- Many more friends and relatives use Verizon, making their free "in" calling much more valuable

- Superior network in key places. Sprint phones do not work well in my house, verizon phones work great.

- Three lines on a family share plan. Not only would I have to pay 3 termination fees, but buy 3 new phones, as well as inconvenience 2 other people.

- Company discount on VZW services

- Best EVDO civerage

For these reasons and others I'm sure other people have, the $150 or so PPCTechs upgrade may be a much more viable alternative than switching to Sprint.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    There are reasons why not evryone can or would want to leave Verizon:

- Many more friends and relatives use Verizon, making their free "in" calling much more valuable

- Superior network in key places. Sprint phones do not work well in my house, verizon phones work great.

- Three lines on a family share plan. Not only would I have to pay 3 termination fees, but buy 3 new phones, as well as inconvenience 2 other people.

- Company discount on VZW services

- Best EVDO civerage

For these reasons and others I'm sure other people have, the $150 or so PPCTechs upgrade may be a much more viable alternative than switching to Sprint.
    Sprint users can roam on Verizon's Network. EVDO roaming will start soon if it already hasn't. What kind of company discounts does Verizon give? How many percent off for your company?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Sprint users can roam on Verizon's Network. EVDO roaming will start soon if it already hasn't. What kind of company discounts does Verizon give? How many percent off for your company?
    My company gets me 17% off my bill and 25% off all accesories. I'm sure there asre a variety of deals out there.

One thing I never understood, people keep saying Sprint can roam on Verizon's networks, but in actual practice all Sprint phones get a poor signal in my house, while all Verizon ones get a very good signal. This is true even if the phones are set to allow roaming. I just do not understand it. Is it possible that if a Sprint phone can pick up a weak signal Sprint tower it uses that signal, even if it could have roamed on a stronger VZW tower??
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    I get 21% off voice and 20% off data plans w/company discount. Sprint would give me 25% discount but I know almost no one on Sprint. Most people I know are either on VZW or Cingular (the latter because of international traveling) so in-calling is huge as well.

Sprint's coverage hasn't been good in my home nor at my office.
    Why are we turning this into a Verizon-Sprint peeing match? What's the point? People who can switch and don't care either way, will switch. Those who can't or don't want to, won't switch. Let's Drop It.

tccook, Thanks for your insight. And thanks for adding more hope to us. I appreciate it.
    GO VERIZON WIRELESS!!!!

just kidding!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Go with Sprint, the data plans are so cheap.
    I must be missing something, but when I check data plan pricing for Sprint I see $39.99 for "phone-as-modem". That's only $5 less than I pay VZW (for much better coverage). Unless "so cheap" means that folks are planning on breaking the rules with the lower-priced "Vision Pack" plans:

"Sprint PCS Vision Packs and Sprint Power VisionSM Packs are not available with Sprint PCS Connection Cards™, Sprint PCS Connection Kits™ or other devices that can be used as a modem"

Thus meaning to use a Sprint Treo in any "Data" way, the price is $39.99 plus voice.

This all seems similar to getting a $5 or $15/month Verizon VCast subscription, which if you want to break the rules means you could technically get a break on Data pricing. However, I believe such packages can't be added to VZW's Treo 700w.
    You don't need to pay for phone as a modem, use the tethered modem hack. I use it with my 700p and Samsung UMPC. Sprint does have the cheapest data plans. I bought a Verizon Motorola Q, and got the cheapest voice and unlimited data. If I kept that phone I'd be paying close to $100 a month. With my Sprint 700p, I have the $30 voice, $5 unlimited text messaging, and $15 power vision (unlimited EV-DO), that's $50 a month, half of Verizon. It's very well known that Sprint has the best data plans, while Verizon robs ya.

So I could pay Sprint $600 a year for service or pay Verizon $1200, I'm still with Sprint and would never leave for Verizon. Enough about Sprint vs Verizon. Do what you feel is best for you
    Jimmie Geddes
    Sprint coverage and customer service sucks!

just kidding!

don't smiley faces fix everything?
    alright let's bring this back on topic, shall we?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee View Post
    alright let's bring this back on topic, shall we?
    AMEN! Come on PPC Techs! Go Go Go
    I just switched back to my 700w from my Q two days ago, had I seen this thread, I would of offered my 700w to PPCtech to work on so that the masses could enjoy the upgrade if it is doable. I too will watch this post.
    dangottreo,
    Why did you switch from the "Q" to the 700W? I'm looking to purchase one
    or the other. What can you tell me (I am wanting the Treo, but the memory
    issues and "soft reset" issues scare me) The "Q" does'nt seem to have these
    issues, or does it?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    More Memory Please
    After reading this thread, I think the "Q" is the better choice. So I'll edit my doc's on my laptop to be "viewed only" on my device. I really want the Treo
    but, I'm depressed already and I don't even own one.
    Go with a Treo over the Q. I had the Q for 2 weeks and it was pretty cool, but no copy and paste (I couldn't believe it), no editing office docs, and battery life was less than stellar. It's nice to have a touch screen, ability to use wifi, and copy and paste out of the box
    Jimmie Geddes
    Thanks Jimmie,
    That sounds like good advise.
    if you NEED to be able to copy and paste, then the Q is not for you. as for battery life, it is much improved vs. my treo700w. if you don't mind resetting your phone or dealing with frozen screens, then the Treo is definately for you.
    Copy and Paste are one of the most basic fucntions of Windows, and a qwerty smartphone. It baffles me that Microsoft does not include this basic feature, especially on a qwerty phone. I think the 700wx will not suffer from needing resets due to the increased RAM. Also the 700wx can use the seidio 2400 mah battery (*which is the same size as the standard battery, no need for a new case like the Q needs with it's extended battery), I use it in my 700p and it lasts a long time. The Q battery is tiny, look at how thin it has to be. You can get an extended battery for the Q, but the Q then looks like a hunchback with the huge battery protruding out of the back. The Q and 700p, w, wx all use EV-DO which effects battery life, I don't see how you have better battery life on your Q than your 700w, since the 700w comes standard with a bigger battery. The main thing is you can do much more with the Treo than you can with the Q, there's a reason it's $199 and isn't doing as well as expected because people don't realize when they buy it that the Windows Mobile Smartphone OS is somewhat very limiting, copy and paste is a perfect example. I think you'd be happier with a Treo, but choose what works best for YOU.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Copy and Paste are one of the most basic fucntions of Windows, and a qwerty smartphone. It baffles me that Microsoft does not include this basic feature, especially on a qwerty phone. I think the 700wx will not suffer from needing resets due to the increased RAM. Also the 700wx can use the seidio 2400 mah battery (*which is the same size as the standard battery, no need for a new case like the Q needs with it's extended battery), I use it in my 700p and it lasts a long time. The Q battery is tiny, look at how thin it has to be. You can get an extended battery for the Q, but the Q then looks like a hunchback with the huge battery protruding out of the back. The Q and 700p, w, wx all use EV-DO which effects battery life, I don't see how you have better battery life on your Q than your 700w, since the 700w comes standard with a bigger battery. The main thing is you can do much more with the Treo than you can with the Q, there's a reason it's $199 and isn't doing as well as expected because people don't realize when they buy it that the Windows Mobile Smartphone OS is somewhat very limiting, copy and paste is a perfect example. I think you'd be happier with a Treo, but choose what works best for YOU.
    bingo! i don't need anything more than the Q has to offer. as for the battery life, i can only speak from years of example (t600, t650, t700w. i730, ppc6600). extended battery? i have never contemplated one. resetting 3 times a day? haven't needed to. i don't need to copy/paste in word docs, i have my laptop for that. when it comes to situations such as those, i can afford to wait. a handheld gets me by until back into the office. so you're right, the treo700w doesn't work for me....why i got rid of the piece of ****e.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 08/25/2006 at 08:33 AM.