Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    No, the Treo 700w has 32 Mb ram, the Moto Q has 64 MB. You ex-POS users need to stop confusing storage with RAM.

Surur
    ----Does his homework-----

My bad your right!
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    Does it !?

I though it had 49.5 MB where as the 700w has 60MB.

Well theres onflicting stuff, here its 49.5MB http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/motorola/q.html

Where as here its 65MB
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=856

i think it might be similar to the 700w as in not all can be accessed. Ok just checked motos website it is 65MB
    Q memory Specs (from the Memory Manager Screen):

Device Storage (Program and Data storage):
    Total: 64 MB
    Avail (out of the box): 49.52 MB

Ram Storage (Program execution):
    Total: 64 MB
    Avail (out of the box): 52.05 MB
    Avail (after boot up): 29.85 MB (VZW Sync, PDANet, 5 Home Screen Plugins, etc, loaded)

I have all my software installed on the device (~19 programs) - 21 MB remaining. The only things I need on my data card are Mapoplis maps, Music, Movies, Sprite backups, and documents (plus a lot of my "stuff").

Memory really isn't an issue with the Q - it's how WM was intended to be run.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Are you saying the Q doesn't have problems because you have more stuff loaded on the 700w? If not then I still don't understand because from what you posted above, it appears the Q has about 49.5MB available while the 700w has about 52MB.
    I was looking at the Q last night at the Verizon store (my wifes phone had a problem). Does the Q have the same OS as the 700w? it looks like it has some of the same things, but the setup is a bit different. It looks nothing like my Dell Axim WM5 OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor
    Are you saying the Q doesn't have problems because you have more stuff loaded on the 700w? If not then I still don't understand because from what you posted above, it appears the Q has about 49.5MB available while the 700w has about 52MB.
    I think the reason for your confusion is my previous posts, which were wrong.

The Q has 64 MB of memory built in, but most of this used my the operating system and the ROM itself so what you are left with out of the box is 52.05 MB without any thing running.

Where as the 700w only has 32MB avaiible to programs at the start so as you can see there is a large amount of space that the Q has over the 700w.

When you start using programs the Q goes down to about 30MB free (as previously stated). So on the 700w you would be looking at approx. 22MB (If running the sam eapps etc)

As you can see that doesnt leave a lot at all, approx. 10MB v the Q's 22MB.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein
    I was looking at the Q last night at the Verizon store (my wifes phone had a problem). Does the Q have the same OS as the 700w? it looks like it has some of the same things, but the setup is a bit different. It looks nothing like my Dell Axim WM5 OS.
    No, the Q is Smartphone OS the W is Pocket PC OS. They are similar in some of the UI areas, but quite different overall. The W supports touchscreen the Q does not - which is one of the biggest differences that most people would notice right off the bat.

Additionally, the W is a much more technically capable device with a wider range of software that can run on it. The Q and the Smartphone OS, while a very capable device in many regards, has not had the level of support that the PPC devices have had from 3rd party software makers. This is changing and more and more software is coming out for the Smartphone OS...but there are a few big things missing from the Q software lineup that I need!

but back to the topic at hand...try searching this forum if you want to know more about the Q vs the W, there are some good threads in here to compare
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    The Q has 64 MB of memory built in, but most of this used my the operating system and the ROM itself so what you are left with out of the box is 52.05 MB without any thing running.
    Well, you're getting closer. A more correct way to say it is:

The Q has a total of 128 MB RAM. 64 MB is dedicated to program storage and 64 MB is dedicated to program execution (running programs). This is a configuration recognized at the "common" WM5.0 memory configuration (i.730, XV-6700, et al).

Out of the box, ~15 MB of storage RAM is dedicated to built-in, included programs (like the OS, Mobile Outlook, Pocket Internet Explorer-PIE) leaving you with just under 50 MB available to store whatever you want to store on it (including your emails and PIE cache files).

Out of the box, when you boot up the Q, ~12 MB of the execution RAM is taken away just loading the operating system. An additional set of programs, mostly added by the OEM (like Verizon) drop the available execution RAM down another ~ 20 MB (Wireless Sync, Home Screen Apps, etc) leaving the user with a net ~30 MB of execution RAM.

It's important to understand the difference between the two forms of RAM. The Treo went with 64 MB - total. You split that (50-50) between storage and execution RAM leaving you with 32 MB less of each (storage and execution).

Seaflipper nailed it - that's a good description of the differences between the W and the Q.
    So any news from PPCtechs about the RAM upgrade.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The Motorola Q has 128MB of Storage memory and 64MB of Program memory:

Motorola Q Developer Reference Sheet 2006-03-29

This document details all of the features and specifications of the Motorola Q handset.
    Thanks for the correction gex. Makes more sense too considering the storage requirement for all the included programs and the OS.
    I didn't realize that this turned into a Motorola Q thread
    Read fast: " FA-Q " who cares about that touchscreenless wifiless POS, I read its going for $50 on Cingular when it hits there. 700w wheres the ram upgrade? I'm going 6700 soon, I reset more now than before the update.
    Awww - did we former users of the memoryless Treo 700W disturb your reverie? Sometimes a contrasting example can help folks figure out a complex idea.
    Last edited by Kupe; 07/14/2006 at 05:40 AM.
    not at all, I was just venting about about the Q hehe how many fps is the video on the Q seems slow to me
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Can we get back to the topic: Upgrading the 700w to 64MB please?
    I still remain optimistic, but I would also like to see something from PPCtechs indicating they are still in process and making some progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Awww - did we former users of the memoryless Treo 700W disturb your reverie? Sometimes a contrasting example can help folks figure out a complex idea.
    Just out of curiosity, what is this complex idea that your contrasting example is supposed to help us with? That you don't like The 700W and that the Q has 32 mg. more RAM to run programs?
    We get it! The last several posts were totally off topic. Let's talk about the upgrade in this post and you can continue to 700W bash somewhere that someone cares.
    I agree. I'd like this to stay on topic. Where are the moderators when you need them?