Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    The RAM upgrade will be out on exactly the same day as the Treo 700p.

The other alternative might be to go directly to the company's web site, as stated here, and see whether they have updated their progress on the RAM upgrade attempt. The final stage may not be surmountable without Palm's assistance which we all know is not forthcoming.
    Thanks for your help.
    At the recent webinar Palm acknowledged they are looking into a RAM upgrade but would not provide any details..

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson7
    At the recent webinar Palm acknowledged they are looking into a RAM upgrade but would not provide any details..
    Palm is the LAST company that will receive any of my money to fix their inexcusable design defect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Palm is the LAST company that will receive any of my money to fix their inexcusable design defect.
    Right on, man. I'm sure many of us feel the same way as you. I love the Treo, but it's impossible to excuse Palm for their lack of foresight or downright greed trying to pull one over on the very customers they need to survive.
    Whitney Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Kupe... I KNOW you aren't this naive, lol. So for all you suckers out there looking for the right thing to be done by Palm, get it out of your thick skulls right now. Purge it. Excise it.

The upgrade from Palm is as follows. NEW phones will come out for GSM that will include a 64MB RAM chip. The 710w will come out with 64MB of RAM and same specs as the 700w. That is the Palm upgrade to the phone. If you want it, be ready to pony up full retail price or for current 700w customers they will give you a $100 discount for a trade in.
    all the hating aside. PALM is a good business...like others have said they release it with just enough to wet your appetite that causes the desire...and by the time they release the new phone you're just itching to jump on if you havent already left the PALM camp. It's absolutely diabolical and i think i'd do the same if i were in their shoes.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    What are you on foofighter. I suspect that you are very much in the minority. Most here seem to feel that the 700w should not have been released with half of the RAM which is the norm for WM smartphones at this time.
    I'm just saying from a pure business standpoint. I know and understand that what they shipped is a POS excuse for a PDA but put yourself in the position of the money grubbing investors and board members. heeh
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I know what you mean foofighter... if they were to come out with a 64MB version next month... i would jump on it... yea the $600 is going to hurt but maybe i could get $400 on ebay for my old one?

I would grumble for about a week...but they would have my money the bas!@#$'s

Sucks but the only thing we can do is hurt them by not buying their products...but i would be hurting myself more

The minute a competitor comes out with a better product I will be sure to jump ship to it...no love or loyalty for Palm here….this is actually my very first Palm product EVER…. I do have to say for their first time out with a Windows Mobile device they did a really good job. Most of the other devices on the market are 3rd or 4th generation and the 700w still kicks their a$$ in my opinion.

I think the only thing I can fault them on is the decision to go with 32 instead of 64...
    Just a thought, for those who have to send in the phone for a couple of days: forward the calls to another number or change the voice mail message to indicate what number they should call. Good luck with this, I know everyone has been waiting for a longggg time.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    Just a thought, for those who have to send in the phone for a couple of days: forward the calls to another number or change the voice mail message to indicate what number they should call. Good luck with this, I know everyone has been waiting for a longggg time.

I think you misread treshmeo's post. Treshmeo is not saying ppctech's are releasing an upgrade, treshmeo is saying buying a 700p could solve anybody's problems with the 700w. Still no news from PPCTechs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod
    buying a 700p could solve anybody's problems with the 700w.
    I think you meant 710w not 700p? Buying a 700p wouldn't solve anything, because you'd be stuck with crappy PalmOS!
    I agree. I changed from Palm OS a long time ago, and I would never ever go back. I was merely trying to read treshmeo's mind.

Also when I stated "Thanks for your help" above I was trying to be sarcastic, not serious, without being too rude. I didn't want to flame, but talk of a 700p here does not help.

Especially since I get excited when I get an email notice of a new post and it's just posts like this one I'm writing... that have no valuable information pertaining to the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I think you misread treshmeo's post. Treshmeo is not saying ppctech's are releasing an upgrade, treshmeo is saying buying a 700p could solve anybody's problems with the 700w. Still no news from PPCTechs.
    And where is he getting his info from?
    I dumped the Treo 700w for the xv6700 for many reasons and one of them was the lack of RAM. If PPCtechs came out with an upgrade I would consider the return. It will be 18 months before the next WM Treo comes out if we are lucky. I miss the one handed nature of the Treo but not the lack of RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    And where is he getting his info from?

If treshmeo truly meant 700p and not 710w, then it is just treshmeo's personal opinion that a Palm OS 700p would be better and not have the ram problems that the 700w has.

I'm pulling my nose out. Treshmeo can comment now if desired.

I hope wth all my heart PPCTechs can and will figure out the upgrade. And my Treo will be all that it was supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo, I just miss some of the PPC goodness from my old iPaq, like Wisbar Advanced, and Wisbar Advanced Desktop.
    I'm back after being away for a few days. I'm shocked and appalled that you guys would take those few joking words so seriously. OK, in the future I will smiley face every ridiculous thing I say with a rolleyes. Of course there is no 710w as it is just a way of saying that Palm will bring out its next phone with an incremental upgrade at best, just like the 700p -- P for Pathetic. Same old processor, same old lack of WiFi (WOW!!!), same old for the most part.

Personally, I'm not at all confident that PPC Techs will be able to get a 64MB RAM upgrade for the 700w up and running. It's very tough to find a needle in a haystack in the dark. It's too bad if it doesn't happen. Most of us would love to see this be a major blow to Palm's upgrade strategy...
    I'm sorry for misreading your thoughts treoshmeo, but I was just trying to explain to others that the upgrade from PPCTechs is not a reality yet. Again, I was just trying to explain.

And I also agree, it may never happen. But my money is sitting in my sock drawer ready to go off to PPCTechs if they do.
    I'm sorry for misreading your thoughts treoshmeo, but I was just trying to explain to others that the upgrade from PPCTechs is not a reality yet. Again, I was just trying to explain.

And I also agree, it may never happen. But my money is sitting in my sock drawer ready to go off to PPCTechs if they do.
    Here's an update for everyone. One step forward, two back.

We made some more changes to the bootloader and ended up toasting the machine. That's the bad news. The good news is we then removed the CPU and traced out the JTAG port, so we can now recover future trys if we make a system unbootable.

So we're in the process of buying a replacement unit to continue the work.

We've been able to extract the proper file for changing the memory allocation in the OS and are debugging it now.

So we haven't given up and we're still working on it. But it's slow going.
    Best Regards,

Leonard
    http://www.pocketpctechs.com