Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    once they finally crack the code, I wonder how long its going to take to send in your treo, then get it back with the flood of send treos
    Shadowmite can you start some company of this sort or train some people to start company with you to do repairs and updgrades? Hey just the feeling of trust that our treos are going to be in experience hands is a relaxing experience. And we know you always upto something.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    Hopefully the update coming at the EOM will not impede or set back your progress. I can only say I look forward to PPC Techs fixing what Palm failed to do.
    Simultaneously I will be sending out a postcard to Palm with a mock picture of the Treo 750w on it being held by the hand of a person who is also sticking out his middle finger...
    Hopefully the update coming at the EOM will not impede or set back your progress. I can only say I look forward to PPC Techs fixing what Palm failed to do.
    what update is that supposed to be?

Regards,

Leonard
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The upcoming AUK2 update to enable push email with an Exchange server running SP2. I expect it'll be a ROM update addressing other issues as well.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    The upcoming AUK2 update to enable push email with an Exchange server running SP2. I expect it'll be a ROM update addressing other issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LWesson
    what update is that supposed to be?

Regards,

Leonard

Correct, the AKU update due out sometime this month. My hope is they don't tweak something that ruins all of your teams work.
    Correct, the AKU update due out sometime this month. My hope is they don't tweak something that ruins all of your teams work.
    Oh, I'm sure it will. But we know where to look now, so it's not a huge issue.

Regards,

Leonard
    Assuming everything goes as planned and the new AKU2 ROM can be hacked to use the 64MB, what will happen when a new ROM comes out? Will you guys (PPC Techs) be able to release a modified version that we'll be able to load ourselves, or will we have to send the Treo in every time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1
    Assuming everything goes as planned and the new AKU2 ROM can be hacked to use the 64MB, what will happen when a new ROM comes out? Will you guys (PPC Techs) be able to release a modified version that we'll be able to load ourselves, or will we have to send the Treo in every time?
    Based on past experience, we should be able to provide a ROM update that you will be able to install.

Regards,

leonard
    How close are you? If you are still having problems, may I suggest posting at xda-developers.com There's a load of real firmware hackers there, and they have done this already for the Himalaya.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by LWesson
    Based on past experience, we should be able to provide a ROM update that you will be able to install.
    Great! Thanks. I don't even have my Treo yet, but I'll definitely be sending it out for the memory upgrade when you guys crack it.
    Hi Leonard.

I saw this post by Mike Calligaro on the WM Team blog and I wanted to pass it along. I am sure it is stuff you already know but just incase... This was his post in response to someone asking for help with the Treo memory upgrade..

Monday, April 10, 2006 8:15 PM by MikeCal
    Surur, here's how it works for all OEMs, Palm and otherwise.

The RAM start address and length are put into the system's "table of contents" at the time when the image is made. If the OEM doesn't do anything else, the system will boot with that amount of RAM visible. However, the OEM has the ability to, at boot time, do something to discover there's more RAM available and tell the system to use it.

If the OEM knows he's going to ship multiple RAM sizes for a piece of hardware, he's likely to write the code to do this.

However, if the OEM doesn't expect to release a version of the same hardware but with more RAM, he's unlikely to write that code. Even if he later decided to add a SKU with more RAM, he could always add the code then. So the code not being there is going to be typical anytime there's only one version of the hardware available.

Finding the location of the RAM length in the table of contents after the fact would be relatively challenging. The location changes based on the size of the OEM's code, so I can't tell you where it is. You need the OEM to tell you. In this case, PPCTechs would need to work with Palm to get the best means to change the value.

Mike
    -Weaweil
    And I don't see Palm offering that help at all. They should but they won't.
    And I don't see Palm offering that help at all. They should but they won't.
    Palm won't offer help because they want you to buy the Treo 750w. They deliberately and maliciously put in 32MB of RAM and hid this from consumers. I hope there is a class action lawsuit just so that all of us could get satisfaction that Palm's arrogance will be dealt with appropriately. They don't give a damn so long as you put money into their bottom line and you are beyond the point of removal. They don't want you or anyone else to fix the deliberately crippled Treo 700w. Shame on the reveiwers who didn't play with it long enough to really see how poor the Treo 700w functions with reasonable business applications loaded. Die Palm Die.

May the good folks at PPCTechs somehow figure out a way to undermine Palm's efforts in bringing out the next underpowered Treo, the Palm Treo 750w. It's the Treo 650 story all over again but worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    They deliberately and maliciously put in 32MB of RAM and hid this from consumers.
    Proof please. Are you one of those live-in-your-parents'-basement-conspiracy-theorists? Apply a little Occum's Razor to your thinking and stop giving a large, uncaring corporation credit for something they've repeatedly proven are clearly incapable of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    They deliberately and maliciously put in 32MB of RAM and hid this from consumers.
    Proof please. Are you one of those live-in-your-parents'-basement-conspiracy-theorists? Apply a little Occum's Razor to your thinking and stop giving a large, uncaring corporation credit for something they've repeatedly proven are clearly incapable of.
    I am not sure about hiding it from the customer, but I can say they were certainly misleading in the least. For example on the web page at http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...700w/specs.epl they say:
    memory: 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile
    They then NEVER address the amount of RAM available.

There were several posts on this forum and others who emailed and called Palm directly trying to verify how much RAM the 700w actually had....and I have not seen a single post yet that claimed they got an official answer within at least the first 2 months it was released. In fact many people reported that the Palm rep they talked to on the phone did not even know and could not find an answer for them on how much RAM was in the 700w.

I personally emailed them at least 4 times asking for verification that the 700w only had 32 MB of RAM and never received a response to my question.

Look at all the debates that took place the first month after it was released about how much RAM it really had because Palm would not answer it and we were left on our own to figure it out.

Yes...I personally feel that Palm short changed the customer on this release, and threw away a wonderful opportunity to rule the WM world. I want to see Palm to be able to stay competitive and hope to someday be able to own another Palm device......but ONLY if they come out with a product that is up to par with the current standards of competing devices or at least the standards in the industry for the previous 1 1/2 years prior to that device's release. 64 MBs of RAM is the current standard and has been for quite some time. I am afraid that by the time they offer 64 MB, the standard in the market will be 128 MB.

I wonder if Palm even reads these forums here at TC, because I hope they do and learn from past mistakes and stop repeating them in the future.

EDIT: Here is another example. On the Microsoft site that reviews WM devices they give all the details of the PPC-6700 ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...s/ppc6700.mspx ):
    Memory: 64 MB RAM; 128 MB Flash ROM
    The for the Treo 700w they only talk about the storage and ignore sharing the amount of RAM ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...e;americas;230 ):
    Memory 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile
    You see.....if you are a customer looking at buying the 700w, it is very challenging, if not impossible, to find out how much RAM is in the device.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/13/2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am not sure about hiding it from the customer, but I can say they were certainly misleading in the least.
    And that's the Occam's Razor viewpoint of which I spoke, Hobbes. Palm, still (possibly) stinging from the consumer lashing they took regarding the Treo 650 memory debacle, realized too late (i.e. after final design decisions) that 32 mb RAM for WM was really not enough, so the "savvy" marketing department takes over with a preemptive campaign to hide the mistake with memory double-speak. It was a poor decision based on WM ignorance, not some prescient conspiracy to hoodwink their (typically more technical) consumers.
    And that's the Occam's Razor viewpoint of which I spoke, Hobbes. Palm, still (possibly) stinging from the consumer lashing they took regarding the Treo 650 memory debacle, realized too late (i.e. after final design decisions) that 32 mb RAM for WM was really not enough, so the "savvy" marketing department takes over with a preemptive campaign to hide the mistake with memory double-speak. It was a poor decision based on WM ignorance, not some prescient conspiracy to hoodwink their (typically more technical) consumers.
    But why did they think 32MB would be enough when everyone used 64MB. Something like that is not done blindly. I believe they counted on most people not installing ANY third party apps. This was probably consistent with their surveys. Maybe they are even right, and the 32MB is not a problem for the vast majority of people. I can just add however that the attachment rate for third party software is much higher on the WM side than the POS side, so they may have mistaken their market.

Surur
    That would equal misleading the consumer. Plain and simple.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    That would equal misleading the consumer. Plain and simple.
    No doubt, but the misinformation only began after Palm realized they didn't build the phone right in the first place - probably during beta. Taht's hardly proof of treoshmeo's "Palm won't offer help because they want you to buy the Treo 750w. They deliberately and maliciously put in 32MB of RAM and hid this from consumers."

Perhaps if treoshmeo had replaced "deliberately and maliciously" with "ignorantly and stupidly" and omitted the reference to a 750w, his post wouldn't have sounded like a tin-foil hat was required.