Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is the phone still as flakey does it reboot for no reason? I hate this in my 650. I also have been having a problem with service with 650 keeps going south on me by roaming or having 3 bars and droping calls. This is my 2nd phone 3rd will be here this week. they said that If UI have any problems with this new 650 they will switch it out for the 700. I use the phone for work and I need a Calender, phone, and contacts. Also I have bought the treo voice dial is that transferable to the 700?

Please help me
    Larry
  2.    #2  
    also does the 700 have a way to set mp3s for indivs or do I have to find a program like ringo???
  3.    #3  
    ttt please help
    i switched from treo 650 (swapped to my wife) to the 700. There are some frustrations like activesync issues and getting used to windows, but as a phone 700 destroys the 650 IMO.

I also got a jabra jx10 bluetooth headset and it, combined with the 700 is better than my office phone. Plus the 700 comes with voice command, which is amazing (once you get the hang of it).

I have never had a reset by the 700 so far in 5 days. My 650 reset about once/day previously.

I had the hbh 300 headset before and the jx10 blows it away (when paired to the 700).
    plus i am right now connected using pdanet over the 700 typing on my laptop at 400 kbs, which is a fantastic tool.
    also - all of my gear from the 650 works on the 700 (seidio headset, sedio charger/sync cable, case, etc.)

Downsides - getting used to the thing has been a trial. much less intuitive in some ways than palm but the phone app is better.
    Dont buy the 700 for PIM functions, only for a good solid PHONE/CONTACTS unit.

PIM sucks on 700 - any app you install to it like PI slows the unit down. The 650 wins for all around PIM device.

When you say the 650 resets, its probably a software issue. My 650 is great.

I am struggling with the 700 and want to like it but can't use it for ALL AROUND one device for PIM, email, phone. The 700 is strong in email and phone only. The 650 can have endless apps installed and still perform fast and easy.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Someone enlighten me? I will be upgrading in a couple of weeks - I know this is treocentral - but would you say 700w or the new 6700? The memory issues worry me, but the only 3rd party apps I run are, Pocket Streets, agenda fusion (calendar app), 5 min clinical consult & drug reference, and pocket bible. I want a good phone and the ability to have contacts, calendar, store stuff on my SD card, etc.
    ANy suggestions?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 650. People here know how much I am not a fan of Palm's underpowering it with RAM, WiFi, etc. That said, I will definitely not be moving to the 700w and will give you some good reasons:

1) People who claim the 650 is a reset problem aren't being fair. I've had my own issues too but once I got everything running, it has been definitely no worse and probably better than an Win-based phone I owned and I have had 2 of them. Now I rarely get crashes but it does happen. If you think it will be better with a 700w, don't kid yourself.

2) You have to have rocks in your head to go from a 650 to a 700 without a very good reason. Once again Palm has underpowered the phone's RAM and it will make a difference if you use it for anything but the built in functions. Read what many other posters are saying. The math is also pretty simple and Windows is built to run several apps at once and thus switching is easy and quick. Imagine what that is going to be like if you run more than 1 or 2 apps on your 700w and then want to switch.

3) WiFi may not be important to you. But if you are even thinking about it, do not consider this device. It's not optimal unfortunately.

4) Do not discount the challenge of a 240 x 240 screen. If you have a 650 you will see a difference with everything, from pictures to maps, etc. You will not be happy with a noticeable downgrade. Additionally, it might be a little while until third party applications will work at this resolution and by then you'll be tired of the phone.

5) Yeah, it's nice to have EVDO. But how much is it really going to change using your phone? Do you spend all day on the web using the mediocre browser? Or do you spend most of your time using other functions on the PDA? Now if you are thinking about using multimedia functions and other applications that will likely require RAM to handle the higher EVDO data stream... then think about that underpowered RAM. Boy will you be frustrated later when applications come out and your device may crawl.

6) Do you really want to purchase a 2 year contract for THIS phone? Right now there are several other more powerful phones available and you will likely be suffering serious phone envy in a few short months, perhaps even by February. Take a good look around.

Honestly, unless you don't have to get a 2 year contract and there is some other compelling reason to get the 700w versus another phone, e.g. work using it, I wouldn't get the 700w. Yeah, I know it's got that form factor you like but after a short while you'll wonder why you spent so damn much to not really "upgrade."
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrado_Driver
    is the phone still as flakey does it reboot for no reason? I hate this in my 650. I also have been having a problem with service with 650 keeps going south on me by roaming or having 3 bars and droping calls. This is my 2nd phone 3rd will be here this week. they said that If UI have any problems with this new 650 they will switch it out for the 700. I use the phone for work and I need a Calender, phone, and contacts. Also I have bought the treo voice dial is that transferable to the 700?

Please help me
    Larry
    Corrado_Driver, I just traded in a Blackberry 7130e after 15 days because of constant crashing and rebooting for the 700w. It's like night and day! The web is lighting fast on the 700w and loads all of the web pages where the 7130e was slow and I had trouble loading alot of pages. I work in a huge concrete block building with no windows, and I barely received EV. Even outside I didn't get EV well, I just thought I wasn't near a EV tower until I got the 700w! Inside my work I almost never lose EV until today it dropped down to 1x and no bars and I was still loading web sites! I think the 700w is great so far. I don't have many programs running yet so I'll have to wait and see about the memory issue. I had a sync problem over the weekend , but changing the firewall properties on PC-Cillin fixed that. I know you want peoples opinion on 650 vs. 700w, but I just thought I would let you know want I think of the 700w so far.
  11.    #11  
    thanks for your input. I'm locked in 2 years any way. I just want a phone that works with full PDA functions. I have had 2 650s and both have had problems I was just trying to get away from problems I want a phone with signal not one that drop calls every other one or roams on it own. Many times I wanted to smash the 650 on the ground but I didn't want to pay the 50 bucks to replace LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdmd
    Someone enlighten me? I will be upgrading in a couple of weeks - I know this is treocentral - but would you say 700w or the new 6700? The memory issues worry me, but the only 3rd party apps I run are, Pocket Streets, agenda fusion (calendar app), 5 min clinical consult & drug reference, and pocket bible. I want a good phone and the ability to have contacts, calendar, store stuff on my SD card, etc.
    ANy suggestions?
    Thanks
    Somone PMed virtually the exact same question. Here was my answer:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am not sure if you can tell by my posts or not.....I like the Treo a LOT, but I have to be honest and say that I don't like the opportunities that Palm choose to pass up on the release of the 650 and the 700w....mainly lack of memory and integrated WIFI.

My personal advice is that if this is going to be a phone first and then a PDA and you mainly want email, the net, and a couple other 3rd party utilities then the Treo should be great. But if you wand to utilitize a lot of the 3rd party opportunities and more demanding stuff like GPS, a lot of multitasking, etc.... then I would have to say that I would look at another device. You may lose the form factor, but you will be able to do all that you want to do.

My bottom rule of thumb is...Remember every phone has it's pros and cons. And this is subjective to you, what you like, what you want, and what you need to do with it. For example many people count the size of the PPC-6600 as a con, while I count it as a pro because the extra screen real estate (lanscape mode, viewing spreadsheets, better web browsing, better GPS viewing, etc...) makes easier and more productive for what I personally need or want to do. If your pros for that phone out weigh the cons, and you can live with the cons, then it is the phone for you.

I hope this helps.

Hobbes
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 07:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I have a Treo 650. People here know how much I am not a fan of Palm's underpowering it with RAM, WiFi, etc. That said, I will definitely not be moving to the 700w and will give you some good reasons:

1) People who claim the 650 is a reset problem aren't being fair. I've had my own issues too but once I got everything running, it has been definitely no worse and probably better than an Win-based phone I owned and I have had 2 of them. Now I rarely get crashes but it does happen. If you think it will be better with a 700w, don't kid yourself.

2) You have to have rocks in your head to go from a 650 to a 700 without a very good reason. Once again Palm has underpowered the phone's RAM and it will make a difference if you use it for anything but the built in functions. Read what many other posters are saying. The math is also pretty simple and Windows is built to run several apps at once and thus switching is easy and quick. Imagine what that is going to be like if you run more than 1 or 2 apps on your 700w and then want to switch.

3) WiFi may not be important to you. But if you are even thinking about it, do not consider this device. It's not optimal unfortunately.

4) Do not discount the challenge of a 240 x 240 screen. If you have a 650 you will see a difference with everything, from pictures to maps, etc. You will not be happy with a noticeable downgrade. Additionally, it might be a little while until third party applications will work at this resolution and by then you'll be tired of the phone.

5) Yeah, it's nice to have EVDO. But how much is it really going to change using your phone? Do you spend all day on the web using the mediocre browser? Or do you spend most of your time using other functions on the PDA? Now if you are thinking about using multimedia functions and other applications that will likely require RAM to handle the higher EVDO data stream... then think about that underpowered RAM. Boy will you be frustrated later when applications come out and your device may crawl.

6) Do you really want to purchase a 2 year contract for THIS phone? Right now there are several other more powerful phones available and you will likely be suffering serious phone envy in a few short months, perhaps even by February. Take a good look around.

Honestly, unless you don't have to get a 2 year contract and there is some other compelling reason to get the 700w versus another phone, e.g. work using it, I wouldn't get the 700w. Yeah, I know it's got that form factor you like but after a short while you'll wonder why you spent so damn much to not really "upgrade."

Now this is an awsome explanation! Very good. I feel the same way and I am struggling with switching also. I have both devices.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    For Hobbes or anyone else that's in the know:
    sorry to post here but PM wouldn't work.

Hey Hobbes,
    Sorry to bother you, but you seem very knowledgable about all things handheld related. Thanks for also responding to my posts. As I mentioned earlier, I am trying to decide between the 700w and the verizon 6700. I want a good phone, with the ability to keep my life organized, have my drug references available, listen to music, watch a video etc. - all things that I can currently do on my Dell Axim X30. Do you think that me RAM issues on the 700w - will affect me, with doing so little. Also, I really like the transcriber mode on my Axim - I believe I heard somewhere that the 700w did not have that function. If you don't mind could you give me your best recommendation - if you were going to purchase one of those, I am kind of leaning toward the 6700 - but my local verizon doesn't have one for me to look at yet - and wading through the forums for pros & cons is interesting but tiresome. Also, right now don't care much about EDVO, because its not in my area.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Scott
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    tigermd -- I'm assuming you are a doctor. You also sound like a guy who is more of a power user and knows his way around. From what I have read the 700w is NOT for power users and the RAM issue won't be an issue for people who just will use the phone at its most basic functionality -- email, contacts and date. Read what other people say about having multiple apps open and do the math -- with the 700w you are asking for trouble. The wait period for closing and opening apps will likely drive you mad. And there will be times when you will need to use another app to force quit apps that don't automatically quit (it happens.)

Next, the reason people consider the 700w from the 650 is probably first and foremost due to EVDO. For most of us when we think about it, it's a striking difference when you use the web, but for most of us it really consists of only a small time period in comparison to using the phone as a PDA.

If anything, I would think that you are a primary candidate for NOT getting a 700w. The database requirement itself tells me volumes about the size and usage characteristics you have. The 240 x 240 screen might also not be optimal in addition to the RAM. Having similar requirements as you, I would stay clear of the 700w and give a good look at the others which are much more suited for your usage.
    Slinky - Thanks for your thoughts / reasons not to move to the 700w.

I've got a Treo 600. I never saw the real value to upgrade to the 650 just for BT and a better screen - particularly given the cost. I'm on my 3rd 600, dating back to when it was released in Oct 03. That said, I've decided to migrate from the 600 to 700w and change carriers.

The changing of carriers is really based on the weakness of Sprint in my primary working area - and the strength of Verizon in that same area. I will be paying more with Verizon - but the service level and EVDO option is my offset. I wish more carriers would price their unlimited data at the level of Sprint - but that's one of the tradeoffs.

EVDO does add significantly to my decision. The faster d/l speeds and the options for streaming, tethering (when available), and yes, browsing - go a long way to compensating for not having native wifi on the device (and for the price of a card, wifi is finally available).

I agree that the 700w screen is a small step back from the 650 - but a step forward from the 600 in my side to side comparisons. I am concerned about memory management, but have no challenge to going to registry if needed to move some items to the SD card. Memory management also was an issue with the 650, and who knows, if Palm remains on form, it will be an issue with the 700p, the 750, and even an 800.

Your point about the 2 yr commitment and better phones coming out was also something I thought about. I looked hard at the PPC-6700 - not to stay with Sprint, but to get a good feel for what the XV-6700 would be. I've followed the comments here as well as at other sites - and while there are those who really like the 6700 - to me, it's more of the PDA that also is a phone as opposed to a phone that also is a PDA.

Perhaps there are better coming out later in 06 and 07 - but that is always the risk of the early adopters.

The decision to upgrade from a 650 to 700w is a tough one. It's like the decision to upgrade from a 600 to 650. Spending $399 to get the 700w is a better deal than the $399-$449 I was looking at in early 05 to go to the 650.
    slinky
    thanks for the input/advice, its very much appreciated
    dont discount the value of evdo for the following:
    streaming satellite radio (at good quality)
    DUN (download the pdanet beta - working great and getting 400kbs down on laptop)
    Slingbox (when slingmedia releases WM mobile player - no mention of a palm based app from them)
    synching with exchange (for those of you who have gotten async to work)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdmd
    For Hobbes or anyone else that's in the know:
    sorry to post here but PM wouldn't work.

Hey Hobbes,
    Sorry to bother you, but you seem very knowledgable about all things handheld related. Thanks for also responding to my posts. As I mentioned earlier, I am trying to decide between the 700w and the verizon 6700. I want a good phone, with the ability to keep my life organized, have my drug references available, listen to music, watch a video etc. - all things that I can currently do on my Dell Axim X30. Do you think that me RAM issues on the 700w - will affect me, with doing so little. Also, I really like the transcriber mode on my Axim - I believe I heard somewhere that the 700w did not have that function. If you don't mind could you give me your best recommendation - if you were going to purchase one of those, I am kind of leaning toward the 6700 - but my local verizon doesn't have one for me to look at yet - and wading through the forums for pros & cons is interesting but tiresome. Also, right now don't care much about EDVO, because its not in my area.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Scott
    I agree with slinky in his response to you, and would add.....if you are a Doctor I would certain lean towards the 6700 for another reason as well.....built in WIFI. You could put a wifi network in your office and have broadband access to the net for additional references, emails, etc....
  20.    #20  
    I think I will also go with the 6700 but does it have voice dial?? lol sorry but I have been listening to what hobbs has said
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast