Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I have a Treo 650. People here know how much I am not a fan of Palm's underpowering it with RAM, WiFi, etc. That said, I will definitely not be moving to the 700w and will give you some good reasons:

1) People who claim the 650 is a reset problem aren't being fair. I've had my own issues too but once I got everything running, it has been definitely no worse and probably better than an Win-based phone I owned and I have had 2 of them. Now I rarely get crashes but it does happen. If you think it will be better with a 700w, don't kid yourself.

2) You have to have rocks in your head to go from a 650 to a 700 without a very good reason. Once again Palm has underpowered the phone's RAM and it will make a difference if you use it for anything but the built in functions. Read what many other posters are saying. The math is also pretty simple and Windows is built to run several apps at once and thus switching is easy and quick. Imagine what that is going to be like if you run more than 1 or 2 apps on your 700w and then want to switch.

3) WiFi may not be important to you. But if you are even thinking about it, do not consider this device. It's not optimal unfortunately.

4) Do not discount the challenge of a 240 x 240 screen. If you have a 650 you will see a difference with everything, from pictures to maps, etc. You will not be happy with a noticeable downgrade. Additionally, it might be a little while until third party applications will work at this resolution and by then you'll be tired of the phone.

5) Yeah, it's nice to have EVDO. But how much is it really going to change using your phone? Do you spend all day on the web using the mediocre browser? Or do you spend most of your time using other functions on the PDA? Now if you are thinking about using multimedia functions and other applications that will likely require RAM to handle the higher EVDO data stream... then think about that underpowered RAM. Boy will you be frustrated later when applications come out and your device may crawl.

6) Do you really want to purchase a 2 year contract for THIS phone? Right now there are several other more powerful phones available and you will likely be suffering serious phone envy in a few short months, perhaps even by February. Take a good look around.

Honestly, unless you don't have to get a 2 year contract and there is some other compelling reason to get the 700w versus another phone, e.g. work using it, I wouldn't get the 700w. Yeah, I know it's got that form factor you like but after a short while you'll wonder why you spent so damn much to not really "upgrade."
    SLinky, while I respect what you have to say some of it is absolutely preposterous!

1) my 650 used to reset itself often with only Goodlink installed on it. so far no resets on the 700.

2) you are right, there should be no real reason to switch from a 650 to a 700 UNLESS you can gain some marginal benefit in being with Verizon while picking up EVDO (HUGE benefit for some), and actually PREFERRING the Windows operating system. One does not have to have rocks in their head to prefer/want such.

3) more of a question: can't you buy a wifi card for it?

4) jimminy christopher....the 240x240 on the new Treo is absolutely wonderful! once again you throw in the 3rd party app. the screen looks absolutely fine! it is clear, bright, and sharp, I'm not sure what you're looking at, I'm looking at mine which I have in my hand.

5) EVDO! YES! THAT IS A HUGE FEATURE AND SELLING POINT! some people do spend a lot of time browsing the internet, far MORE NORMAL than trying to work on spreadsheets on one of these things. oh my.

6) there may be more powerful phones out there, but none of this same form factor. there are none that come close. i personally think it is retarded to want to own a device where you have to pull out a slliding keyboard and perhaps even have to turn the darn thing around to view the screen. i made that mistake once, never again. now, i will say this; if you don't type on your pda then it doesn't matter where the keyboard is, it might as well not even have one.

i suppose i'm doing what all of the haters are trying to do and that is to share the positive thoughts of all those who actually like their device. i've absolutely had it with the "memory" types who continue to try and dog this thing. it's a pda, a smartphone, whatever....needs more ram? fine!!! mine works and so do the countless thousands that are out there. what it isn't is an "upgrade" story, it's simply another option offered by Palm. let people buy it if they want to, you have made the decision not to and that is fine too.

regards
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i suppose i'm doing what all of the haters are trying to do and that is to share the positive thoughts of all those who actually like their device. i've absolutely had it with the "memory" types who continue to try and dog this thing. it's a pda, a smartphone, whatever....needs more ram? fine!!! mine works and so do the countless thousands that are out there. what it isn't is an "upgrade" story, it's simply another option offered by Palm. let people buy it if they want to, you have made the decision not to and that is fine too.
    Well said. My 700w is working perfectly fine. Do I expect there to be minor issues? Sure, but nothing more serious than my 650 experienced at launch. Growing pains are to be expected.

I find all the negative rhetoric on the 700w amusing. A large number of people who dog on the 700w don't even own the device or spent significant time on the 700w! Instead, they take to heart posts they've seen on boards or a negative review they've read on the web.
    I think this and other threads in the 700w forum are a fascinating psychological study in what happens when a 'hated enemy' OS like WM gets lobbed almost unceremoniously into a mix of PalmOS users. Some embrace it, some don't, some are actually deeply troubled and personally offended by it.

Like it or not, people, this is a WM Treo, not a sentient entity of some kind. Flaming it won't make it go away. Buy it or not, stop trying to convert those who want or own one, because they likely know as much as you do
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    What I find amusing is an all or nothing attitude on either side. I have said this over and over again....and even earlier on this thread.....that there is no perfect phone for everyone as everyone has different needs, wants, geek factor, job requirements, etc...... The Treo 700w is NOT the phone for me personally as it would not be able to handle the requirements that my job demands. But does that make it a bad phone? NO.....if so, why would I spend SO much time and effort supporting those that have a phone that I would never buy for myself? Because I know this is THE perfect phone for someone else.
    • I do love the sliding keyboard because the extra screen real estate is more vital to me. To someone else having the Treo form factor is more important.
    • I need to have 64 mb of RAM or I couldn't do what I need to with my job. While 32 mb is perfect for meeting the demands of their job.
    • I am going to be forced to have WM in order to communicate with my work's Exchange serve. While someone must have Palm OS so they can communicate with their work.
    • Due to my traveling I must have access to WIFI because when you roam you do not have EVDO or data. While another person may never use WIFI ever because he never leaves his EVDO city and only travels to major metro areas.
    • I need to have sometimes 6 different programs running at the same time to remain efficient. While someone else at the most needs email and a web browser runing at the same time.

Is there any who is right? Is there anyone who is wrong? Is my PPC-6600 better than the Treo 700w? Is the Treo 700w superior to the PPC-6700? NO and NO and NO and NO.

I do find it VERY frustrating when someone tells me since they do not need <any feature like WIFI, 64 mb RAM, etc..> then justify why I need it if not having it suites them just fine.

There is NO perfect phone for everyone, but everyone could have their own perfect phone. It all comes to meeting ones personal needs and wants.

Here is my philosophy that I have always shared on these forums for the 2 years or so I have been here, and I live by personally when ever I am looking to buy a new phone for myself:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    My bottom rule of thumb is...Remember every phone has it's pros and cons. And this is subjective to you, what you like, what you want, and what you need to do with it. For example many people count the size of the PPC-6600 as a con, while I count it as a pro because the extra screen real estate (lanscape mode, viewing spreadsheets, better web browsing, better GPS viewing, etc...) makes easier and more productive for what I personally need or want to do. If your pros for that phone out weigh the cons, and you can live with the cons, then it is the phone for you.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/13/2006 at 04:33 AM.
    You're right, once again!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #26  
    thanks for all the input but being a computer tech and dealing with wireless setups I think that the built in wifi will be great. I also don't spend the 45 dollars verizon wants for internet. I think the wireless will be more than I need. Plus the 6700 has a flash for the camera. LOL I also have very big fingers lol so the keyboard might also help me, I just wish they had a forums like the treo...

Larry
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelator
    I think this and other threads in the 700w forum are a fascinating psychological study in what happens when a 'hated enemy' OS like WM gets lobbed almost unceremoniously into a mix of PalmOS users. Some embrace it, some don't, some are actually deeply troubled and personally offended by it.

Like it or not, people, this is a WM Treo, not a sentient entity of some kind. Flaming it won't make it go away. Buy it or not, stop trying to convert those who want or own one, because they likely know as much as you do
    No -- you are completely missing the point. Most of us WILL move to Windows Media. It's Palm doing the same stupid strategy of underequipping the 700w with RAM. Palm users complained about the 650.

You guys are in such denial and THAT makes me laugh. Every other WM device has 64MB standard. STANDARD. They didn't put in the extra RAM because they were all feeling generous. It is SPEC. As someone else said, it's about time you just admitted that the 700W is RAM underpowered even though it will work reasonably for a smaller number of people than it should.

Open your eyes. Most of the Palm owners are looking at OTHER WM devices because of the RAM issue and WiFi. It's Palm being stupid AGAIN and Palm users have seen this before. Nothing said here with any vehemence, just the clear facts. I myself will get a WM device for my next phone but it won't be the Treo for some very good reasons that are emphasized clearly by those who actually appreciate what using a PDA means.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    SLinky, while I respect what you have to say some of it is absolutely preposterous!

1) my 650 used to reset itself often with only Goodlink installed on it. so far no resets on the 700.
    Did it ever occur to you that maybe Goodlink was the problem? How about your specific phone and not all 650s? If it were a 650-wide problem then Goodlink would be out of business. All phones have defective units and you should have returned yours and tried another if this was the case.

2) you are right, there should be no real reason to switch from a 650 to a 700 UNLESS you can gain some marginal benefit in being with Verizon while picking up EVDO (HUGE benefit for some), and actually PREFERRING the Windows operating system. One does not have to have rocks in their head to prefer/want such.
    The rocks in their head is not the switch to WM. It's a switch to the 700w and not another great WM phone which has sufficient RAM, built in WiFi and so much more.

3) more of a question: can't you buy a wifi card for it?
    Respectfully, sometimes I wish people would read before they start telling others that their statements are absurd. It has been mentioned here 1,000 times and is obvious that if you buy the WiFi SD card you LOSE your SD card memory and all the apps, storage, MP3 files and everything else you had on there. That's a BIG deal.

4) jimminy christopher....the 240x240 on the new Treo is absolutely wonderful! once again you throw in the 3rd party app. the screen looks absolutely fine! it is clear, bright, and sharp, I'm not sure what you're looking at, I'm looking at mine which I have in my hand.
    The screen is OK. Nobody said it was awful but it's certainly a downgrade from a 320x320 screen or even 320x240. And if you intend to use it as a PDA, like MANY will, the odd sized screen has been reported not to work with a good number of applications. It's certainly not optimal. If you're telling me it's "wonderful" then I'm telling you that it's clear as day you are rationalizing. Tell me that 640x480 is wonderful in comparison to a 1024 x 768 or even 800 x 600. It works but let's not go overboard. And from what I read, the screen is not as bright or nearly as good as the 650, although it is "acceptable."

5) EVDO! YES! THAT IS A HUGE FEATURE AND SELLING POINT! some people do spend a lot of time browsing the internet, far MORE NORMAL than trying to work on spreadsheets on one of these things. oh my.
    What is it that is preventing you from reading? The point here is that ALL the new WM phones have EVDO but why would you get the 700w when these other ones are available.

If you are Jewish, here's the way the question may be asked: "why is this windows media device not like all other windows media devices." As the simple son answers "because on all other windows media devices we find 64MB of RAM and built in WiFi if you need it. But on this 700w device, we only get 32MB or RAM and no WiFi."

6) there may be more powerful phones out there, but none of this same form factor. there are none that come close. i personally think it is retarded to want to own a device where you have to pull out a slliding keyboard and perhaps even have to turn the darn thing around to view the screen. i made that mistake once, never again. now, i will say this; if you don't type on your pda then it doesn't matter where the keyboard is, it might as well not even have one.
    I can completely understand the desire for a thumboard. I personally like it myself. NO QUESTION. But on WM devices that unfortunately comes at a cost, especially on the 700w. To begin, WM is built to run on a rectangle, not a square. When you are the one who needs custom sizing many designers won't make clothing that fits you because the market is small. Second, the screen is on the dull end of the spectrum (instead of 320x320 and 320x240 dumbed down to 240x240.) Next is the lack of RAM. Accept it. It's a big deal. No WiFi built in either. If you're on Verizon, bend over and take the $45-50/mo. hit for it indefinitely because it's the only way you're getting Internet access -- unless you want to carry around a tiny SD card.

Apparently lots of people like the pull out keyboard especially because their PDA has become a laptop replacement in some respects with the larger screen. Simply because it doesn't work for you doesn't diminish the appeal. I understand where you are coming from but the cons here are pretty significant at this juncture.

This isn't a "hatefest" or where people come together to think good thoughts. Maybe joining Scientology might be a good idea. I and others like Hobbes and Lady are simply looking at the facts as to what they are. You can feel happy thoughts all you want but it isn't going to get you past the DUMB 32 MB RAM implementation that Palm crippled the 700w with.

As I said before, your PC may work with Windows XP and 256 MB of RAM. But accept the limits. Instead of you and the "countless thousands" (I wonder what percentage at the end of the day) trying to hold hands and think happy thoughts, perhaps it's better to research and just accept the unfortunate trade off of getting a 700w from Palm really means, hard, cold facts.
    HobbesIsReal - Very well said.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12