Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Can you just use Verizon Wireless Sync instead of using the Active Sync?
    Same problemo here. After 10 hours on the phone with both Verizon and Palm and no help, after countless soft and hard resets, uninstalling and reinstalling AS, installing AS from the web, nothing helped.

The curious thing is that after 2 days of not connecting, on the third day, out of nowhere, the thing connected and synced. Just out of nowhere. Of course the next day it would neither connect nor sync. This is what I hate most, the inconsistency. If it never worked, I would be happier than to have it work one day and never again. p.s. I returned the device, the sync cable and the sync CD to Verizon over the weekend and replaced all three, to no avail. Same exact problem. "Not connected", with that green wheel spinning into eternity.

My tech support guy at work thought the problem was my laptop. He reimaged it, then tried to sync. No go. Then he tried installing on another laptop. No go. He said it's something about the USB ports on my laptop. They're the wrong kind, and I need a $100 USB gizmo that would fix that. He had one on him and tried it on my computer. Still wouldn't connect. Then we tried infrared. Eureka! It synced. Just when I was starting to convince myself that I could live with IR syncing until Palm fixes this, I noticed my changes made on the device to a calendar item never showed up on my laptop; in fact, after syncing again, the device change disappeared and still shows what's on the laptop. So the head f*ck is even greater this time -- it says it's connected, it says it's synced, but it's not!

Sigh. I truly, truly feel like I have given this thing a fair shake. It was a birthday present. I SO wanted this to be IT. I just don't think I can take any more of this. I never had a second of trouble syncing 3.7 to my little old ipaq 1910. Maybe I just wasn't cut out for a smart phone. I'm exhausted.
  3.    #43  
    there is definitely something quirky about this issue related to networking... the work, no workie, work again, then no workie thing really perplexed me...after some frustrated hours I simply walked away from trying to resolve for a day... not thinking, I just plugged it in and the AS worked... I didnt want to unplug it!!! Curiosity got the best of me and I tried unplugging and replugging.... no workie!!! Then the nex 4 hour debugging attempt.... I noted in another thread that the thing appears to be pointing to a DHCP server outside my network and ip range... ip assigned is out of my network range and there is no ability to change this... makes me wonder about cruiselineguy's "fix"... I'm not using a VPN.
  4.    #44  
    chemo, if you want to install apps, use your 700w as modem, etc. then you need AS. Also, the vzw wireless sync is sluggish and for me also inconsistent... I don't really trust my vital info on their servers either...
    The DHCP Server that the 700w is getting it's IP address from is likely AS. The 169.254.x.x ip is a private ip range like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. It is likely that
    AS communicates with the 700w through TCP/IP over USB.
    1.) Uninstalled everyting related to Activesync (Start fresh).
    2.) Installed the Verizon version, rebooted.
    3.) Re-Installed, MS version on-top of it.
    4.) Hard-reset.
    5.) Windows Firewall off, (Verify that this is off for each connection)
    6.) Bluetooth- Discover devices, then Add COM port.
    7.) However, ths COM port needs top be readded each time!!!
    but this worked for me.

I called VZW, they sent me to Palm, Palm said "You have the option to return it for 15 days." and that they are getting MAULED with call related to these issues, with no solution on the horizon.

I am going to keep using bluetooth, until a solution is found for this issue for 2 weeks, then if none is found, return the device while I still can, then buy it again later once fixed.

Wow this is frustrating. . . . the thing worked great yesterday when I got it but now it won't sync and I don't have bluetooth on my computer. . . . . guess i'm making a trip to CompUSA tomorrow to get an adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by cognetic
    there is definitely something quirky about this issue related to networking... the work, no workie, work again, then no workie thing really perplexed me...after some frustrated hours I simply walked away from trying to resolve for a day... not thinking, I just plugged it in and the AS worked... I didnt want to unplug it!!! Curiosity got the best of me and I tried unplugging and replugging.... no workie!!! Then the nex 4 hour debugging attempt.... I noted in another thread that the thing appears to be pointing to a DHCP server outside my network and ip range... ip assigned is out of my network range and there is no ability to change this... makes me wonder about cruiselineguy's "fix"... I'm not using a VPN.
    I don't have a 'fix' at all. Its just a quirky as it was before. I THOUGHT I was doing something, and it appeared like I did something, but in reality, it was just coincidental! I agree completely with Rascalfishy, I gave this a shot, but I'll stick with my HP 6515 (means going back to Cingular though) until this is resolved.

I'm a gadget guy, but I've wasted TOO much time on this crap already!
    I returned my 700w today and got a new one, came home hooked it up and it worked great so the problem is in the treo and not the software since I did nothing to the software since I got the new one.
    Happy for you jrmicon but I returned my first one for a new one too -- and new cable, and new sync CD -- and it still wouldn't sync just exactly like the first one wouldn't sync. I'm about out of resources, out of energy, out of time. I'm bummed -- I really like this device. But if it don't sync, it ain't worth ****.

What do y'all know about the Samsung SCHi730????
    Mine finally worked when I disabled Norton Auto-protect
    Quote Originally Posted by rascalfishy
    Happy for you jrmicon but I returned my first one for a new one too -- and new cable, and new sync CD -- and it still wouldn't sync just exactly like the first one wouldn't sync. I'm about out of resources, out of energy, out of time. I'm bummed -- I really like this device. But if it don't sync, it ain't worth ****.

What do y'all know about the Samsung SCHi730????
    Rascalfishy
    I wouldn't waste my $$ on the i730 (I say that from experience,because I tried two of them and returned both of them and went to Treo 650). The i730 slide thing looks great, but its REALLY a pain. No one handed operation at all.

I sold my Treo to get the HP 6515 PPC phone, which I still have, and more than likely will keep because I'm returning the 700 early next week if I can't get it to sync FLAWLESSLY. I'm tired of 10 minute sync times and this is my SECOND 700 also. I don't think its the phone either because I'm having the same problem. I would bet anything its something to do with Network Connections and my VPN.

I'm hoping Palm / Verizon fixes this VERY SOON.
  13.    #53  
    I would second that not-so-favorable opinion on the i730. Kludgy is what come to mind... it is thick, the slide thingy is really annoying on that particular device... I tried it for a few days and thought "must be something one gets used to"... at 10 days "ok, when do I get used to it"... at 12 days had enough other issues with it that I returned it.
    I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask one silly question. But I just wanted to know if anyone else's AS runs even when you shut it down manually. I turn off my device and then even when I return from stand-by, AS is on the list of running programs even though the device is not even connected to my laptop. This just started yesterday.

I must state I don't have a 700 but another WM5 device. I was just wondering if that was normal for AS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I ran into the same problem earlier today - no problems the first week of using AS either by USB or BT. Was running Avant Go - it locked up, after soft reset - no sync at all either from USB or BT.

Did a repair on Active Sync - still no go. Firewall settings were the same as before, but double checked to make sure no blocks - logs didn't show any blocks either. So, then did a hard reset of phone, and deleted Active Sync from laptop.

Followed initial setup again, except used a different name for my phone / device. Set-up completed and AS now works. Had a fair amount of trouble getting BT to synch - but managed to get that done. I don't have to add COM port each time - the AS is working as it did for the past week.

MS Windows Mobile AS Help on the MS website has the key settings needed for most 3rd party sw firewalls - so remember to check those settings. I use ZA, but didn't need the expert rule as I defined the "new network" - Treo connection as trusted when the connection was first made on ZA.

Now able to synch without a problem.
    OK guys, I DID return the phone, but after 2 days, I knew I wanted it back! I researched and researched on WHAT the problem was, knowing it had to be something in my computer. I FOUND IT. My company loaded Micro Trend Office Scan and that was the culprit.

I went back to Verizon today, bought the phone again, put in on AFTER I removed Office Scan and it syncs perfectly now. I've got to get a new Anti Virus now.. ANY SUGGESTIONS that work with this phone??? If so, any special connections or set up?

I'd appreciate your help.
  17.    #57  
    Before you go spending the money.. wait about 2 days... that is how long it has taken me 3!!! times on 3 different Treo 700ws to find out the problem is recurring... I had no firewall and no antivirus running in my test configuration and the ActiveSync-suddenly-stopping issue presented itself... This last time, I had both the McAfee Firewall and Viruscan running and everything worked perfectly for nearly 2 days - I installed on a whim and it worked for 2 days.. then suddenly the issue recurred today... I tried again this evening on a totally different PC running XP Pro without AV or FW and the problem remains... Hard resets, soft resets, reinstalls, uninstalls, FW tweaking, etc are not resolving this... But IR works and I figured out my BT GPS issue...
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    After having to Hard Reset my 700w two weeks ago, (which fixed my Activesync hangups for the time being - at the cost of painfully re-installing everything, and re-configuring everything) Activesync now no longer syncs AGAIN . -- and nothing new was installed or changed. (the only thing new I remember doing was downloading a new .mp3 file onto my SD card - which I tried deleting to see if this was the problem, but to no avail)

After "Looking for Changes" - which takes F O R E V E R, Activesync finally says:

"Synchronization cannot be completed successfully. Reconnect your defice and try again. If the problem persists, see the Microsoft ActiveSync Troubleshooter in Microsoft ActiveSync Help on your desktop computer."

I do NOT want to Hard Reset again, because re-installing/configuring is such a pain. Looks like I am going to have to dig up my USB Bluetooth adapter which is somewhere lost in my basement somewhere....
    I LOVE the 700w otherwise, but This is Ridiculous.
    ITA. I've used a Win Mobile device for over 1 year and this is the worse yet. I had the SAME thing happen to me today and was ready to do the dreaded hard reset (with no Sprite restore until 2/7).

I reset my device, got the same error, restarted XP and got the same error, and then reset my device again and it worked.

Ridiculous is only one word I'd use to describe this. If this keeps up, I might reluctantly switch devices.
  20.    #60  
    This is a real issue... for me it is not related to firewall, hard resets, etc... things work fine for a period of about 2 days when I get them working and then recur... in my latest round of issues I had a working set up for a day and a half and was hopeful to sustain the USB connectivity for a demonstration to a group of about 300 attendees at a conference on mobile technology... I even checked for a working set up at 7am before embarking for a 4 hour drive to another city.... when I got there and set up my laptop and 700w sync.... TADA !!! No workie!!! I tried a quick uninstall reinstall of AS to no avail... it worked the last 2 times to recover... I'm 4 days out and NOTHING is working to recover the USB sync... IR and BT work just fine... but no go on USB.... This is not a device issue IMHO and is AS related.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast