1.    #1  
    I'm a noobie to the treo, though I've had lots of palms starting with the III. This is my first windows os. I must say that thus far I like it a lot.

I don't understand the program memory, however.
    It says I have a total of 25 and 18 in use and 7 free. I am not running any programs as far as I can tell. Nothing is listed in "running programs." What's going on here?

I haven't added any 3rd party apps other than what came on the verizon cd.
    i had the same problem there just is not enough memory thats why i returned mine.loved the phone though
    This may help with seeing how much is where:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...51&postcount=5

The Reg Hack thread also has several hacks where you can move the PIE cache, ringtones, etc....over to your SD card instead of in memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    This may help with seeing how much is where:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...51&postcount=5

The Reg Hack thread also has several hacks where you can move the PIE cache, ringtones, etc....over to your SD card instead of in memory.
    I'd be curious to see if that works with the 700, but I suspect it is designed for a memory configuration where storage and program memory are the same thing. I really don't think the PIE cache is the problem though...the problem (for me at least) is not the storage memory (flash ROM/persistent storage) but the program memory (RAM). Deleting the PIE cache doesn't help RAM, nor does moving your email attachments to the storage card. The OS takes a TON of RAM when running and as people are pointing out here and elsewhere, memory leaks badly...shutting down programs by holding OK only gets you so far before you need to reset. I've seen at least one post from another, and I've experienced myself, the device becoming nonfunctional with nothing else running other than PIE because you try to load a memory-intensive page such as one of these forum threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    I'd be curious to see if that works with the 700, but I suspect it is designed for a memory configuration where storage and program memory are the same thing.
    I didn't use the hack but Memaid did the job. I agree that PIE cache won't solve the memory problem though.
    So......In WM05 have we for sure confirmed whether the PIE cache is kept in RAM or Storage? If so, how did you confirm it?

Since I don't have a WM05 device yet, I am unable to confirm this myself.
    I can only say that cache files were visible in the Windows directory and after having Memmaid put it to the card, it is in the "Temporary Internet Files" directory.
    Here is some additional info:

Rom

Since Microsoft decided switch to storing all information in flash, there are benefits and trade offs. First as a benefit, all your data is stored in flash and the flash is not erased if you run the battery of your Pocket PC dry. This is now called persistent storage. Second, the flash space in the Pocket PC is split between storage and rom. So the amount of data or programs you install on your Pocket PC is limited by the amount of free storage (flash) on your device. Also note that the storage in flash is not compressed like it was in prior versions so you cannot store as much information in flash. Also due to this design, programs that are installed stored in flash are copied to ram to be executed thus they occupy twice the space. Finally the directory of data stored in the boot rom is merged with the storage flash so the user sees the file system as one. If a file in the boot rom is replaced by a file in storage flash the storage flash file is used.

RAM

So the ram inside the Pocket PC is now dedicated to running programs. So if you attempt to run multiple programs that are "hogs" like you used to in Windows Mobile 2003, they may not run or the operating system may close some of them. Users should be aware that the 32mb size limitation for a single program still applies to Windows Mobile 5.0 applications. The memory management for programs still applies as well where the operating system flushes pages of programs that are no longer needed, thus optimizing the use of ram in the system for other programs to execute.

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/5.0/...management.htm
    I am still not sure if PIE uses storage or RAM while Running. It probably keeps a copy in storage...or on the SD card if you did the reg hack. But does it copy it to RAM or does it use it in storage like a swap file?

I know this is only small point. But at least historically it has made a difference in WM devices.