Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I find manny posts from people on this site bashing the wm5 os and speeking so highly about the plam os on the treo 650 etc

why is this? i find the windows os to be fantastic.. it does so much and is so much like my PC i find myself really at home browsing through all the menues.. it multitasks so manny differant aps, im shocked at how well it performs.

I almost got a treo 650, but the palm os did really do anything, i thas like 9 buttons and thats it.. why is it held with huch high reguard?

is it the way it can be customised? or is this a mac vs pc sort of thing? ie do you all just hate microsoft?

im really curious to know why the 650 is loved by so manny?
    Short and sweet:

WM5 is somewhat cumbersome and considerably unintuitive. Palm OS is easier to navigate and more intuitive.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Have to say MS hate. And yes it is similar to PC vs Mac. Because, there were people talking trash about the 700w even before it came out.

It is funny how people are bashing the 700w all over the place. And its been only 3 days since it came out. Guess everybody forgot how much crap a lot of us had to go through with the 650 make it "work"... all those crashes, reset loops... It took palm and the providers 8 months or so to get it running.

Please stop this bashing, try out the product for a few weeks and post unbiased opinions/reviews.
    If you go to a traditional WM site, you will the same response concerning Palm. It usually boils down to not truly taking the time to learn about the OS on the other side of the fence before throwing stones at it before returning it the store.
  5.    #5  
    yah no offence to anyone.. but LadyTreo's responce pretty much summed it up..

mac users love there macs.. but the reality of it is you can do so much more with a PC.. sounds like its the same thing with this phone

people just LIKE there 650's..

though im sure there is 1 thing someone can come up with that they did with greater ease with there 650.. but its something arbitrary to someone who finds that more power and custimisation and freedom is really the only thing one should look for in a gadget ^_^
    I found what I was looking for faster on Palm OS, without having to read documentation. WM5 has me searching more to find what I need, and I have to look under "Help" more than Palm OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    When I first went to Palm....I had to do the same thing, because of the totally different way it manages (or doesn't manage) memory, file structure, etc... No matter which way you are going, there is a learning curve. I also realize that most Palm to WM have a larger learning curve than those going from WM to Palm.....but you are well on your way!
    All this talk about more to learn is funny to me because none of it is rocket science. All it takes is a little time. A few days to have the basic functions mastered. A few weeks to master the intermediate and advanced stuff. Within a month you will be extremely proficient and then you will no longer care that WM5 was harder to learn. In the end you will have a lot more features...

The only thing that is challenging me is learning what programs are the best in each category and what will work with the Treo 700w. It's a little frustrating but it's fun also.
    PalmOS isn't really more intuitive, anymore. Nor is it faster or more stable. I've owned roughly a dozen Palm and PPC devices (respectively) and although in the earlier days these differences might have been true, they are no longer. Garnet/5.x is OLD, encumbered with much added-on functionality and the Treo 650 requires $$$ to stabilize and get to the functional point where everything works the way I want it.

Don't mistake old-timer Palm users criticizing WM5 as being less intuitive or more difficult when it's really more their aptitude and inexperience with the platform, as the previous poster pointed out. You also have to factor in OS bias, which is quite prevalent in the PDA world, much like Mac vs. PC.

I've owned a LOT of Palms and liked many of them. Although my Treo is certainly the most jack-all-trades device I've ever had and does its job for the most part, it's certainly no panacea and isn't the uberstable, quick, efficient, streamlined device that my old Palm Vx was -- not by a long shot. Treo 650 doesn't automatically equate to the 'speedy, slick, simple PalmOS device' we once could rely on.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    Say what you will, but when you have to search through stuff buried in multiple folders, when you sometimes can't get out of an app without entering something, Help doesn't always "help", etc.; that's not intuitive. It's not horrible, but it's not smooth either.

If Palm would get out of the obsolete hardware mode, I'd go back to Palm OS in a heartbeat! But I fear they won't any time soon. And if the Palm OS 700 ever gets out, it may too late.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/09/2006 at 04:27 AM.

The Palm OS is superior because it automagically corrects our spelling errors.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Say what you will, but when you have to search through stuff buried in multiple folders, when you sometimes can't get out of an app without entering something, Help doesn't always "help", etc.; that's not intuitive. It's not horrible, but it's not smooth either.

If Palm would get out of the obsolete hardware mode, I'd go back to Palm OS in a heartbeat! But I fear they won't any time soon. And if the Palm OS 700 ever gets out, it may too late.
    Lady Treo, this may help a little:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=103504
    Having used both Treo's - 700 and 650, I must say that the 650 takes lead for "all in one" mobile solution. Sure you might have to buy third party apps for the 650 but it packages all PIM, email, phone features nicely. The 700 needs to work too hard. After installing a few apps on the 700, it slowed down to a crawl and I HATE having to always close all apps for it to run faster. Having said that, the 700 does perform very well as a phone, I just don't think for me that it combines all things very well if you want pim, email, phone features in one device (which I do)
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Like Pixelator said, part of what you see here is bias from the old days. Older versions of Windows Mobile/PocketPC/whatever they called it at the time were pretty atrocious. Despite my distaste for Microsoft the company, and my prior bad experiences with old IPAQs, I am trying to be openminded about the 700w and Windows Mobile 5, and I think most people on TreoCentral fall into the same boat.
    I think WM5 is miles better. I had been a Palm user since the Pilot (98?) and probably had about six units. My last (the Tungsten T5) was a horrific experience. Although I've only played with my 700w for about 24 hours I have to say that it has been much easier to deal with than my most recent Palm. I had the Treo up on two computers synching perfectly within 10 minutes. It took my about 20 hours before my T5 was synching and I never got it to work with two computers and it crashed several times a day. Contrary to what has been said, imho WM5 is intuitive for anyone that's ever operated a windows machine. I have some questions as to its memory, but other than that it's been perfect. I just was never impressed by the palm os or the palm pim, which required 3rd party software which thus decreased stability.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 01/09/2006 at 12:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    To answer the first post:

Yes. It is basically the Mac versus PC argument.

Look at the responses above. Most people have made their choice and are trying to justify it. They make excuses for the shortcomings of their devices and allow no room for error on the part of the "enemy." It is all pretty silly really.
    Not to quote you, just chose yours for my final comments. I really do not think this is remotely close to a PC and MAC thing. In my opinion, it's not even an "ease of use" thing but instead everyone just has one or two things that were preferred on the palm versus WM5.

I love the treo 700 but only wish the contacts was just a little more like the 650, primarily the ability to mask and or make private certain entries. Seems rudimentary stuff to be honest.

The other thing is this history on calls that many have complained about. It allows you to clear the call log but then retains the call history. Very odd feature. If you choose to clear log, then you fully intend to clear all calls.

Two things. That's it, my only gripe. It is far faster, has multi tasking features that work, just a far superior device. I have had palm since the I300. Loved em all and love this one.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by pixelator
    PalmOS isn't really more intuitive, anymore. Nor is it faster or more stable. I've owned roughly a dozen Palm and PPC devices (respectively) and although in the earlier days these differences might have been true, they are no longer. Garnet/5.x is OLD, encumbered with much added-on functionality and the Treo 650 requires $$$ to stabilize and get to the functional point where everything works the way I want it.

Don't mistake old-timer Palm users criticizing WM5 as being less intuitive or more difficult when it's really more their aptitude and inexperience with the platform, as the previous poster pointed out. You also have to factor in OS bias, which is quite prevalent in the PDA world, much like Mac vs. PC.

I've owned a LOT of Palms and liked many of them. Although my Treo is certainly the most jack-all-trades device I've ever had and does its job for the most part, it's certainly no panacea and isn't the uberstable, quick, efficient, streamlined device that my old Palm Vx was -- not by a long shot. Treo 650 doesn't automatically equate to the 'speedy, slick, simple PalmOS device' we once could rely on.
    I also get to use both devices. For me the number one biggest complaint i have about the 700 is the lack of 5 way support. 2 minutes of playing with the thing and its finger/stylus on the screen. I believe that its a wm5 thing. the i730, 6600, and soon to be released 6700 are all the same way. I almost never have to use the stylus with my 650 and i think that makes the device much easier to use. I hear all the other arguments going on and there are some advantages of wm5 and palm os. I just like the palm os and have for a long time. I am self admittedly bias and persuade people to buy the 650 based on easy of use. thats my .02 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    For me the number one biggest complaint i have about the 700 is the lack of 5 way support. 2 minutes of playing with the thing and its finger/stylus on the screen. I believe that its a wm5 thing.
    I agree with this! This is definitely a WM thing.

Unlike earlier Treos, this one doesn't have 100% 5-way support for the built-in apps. That, IMO, is inexcusible. I should be able to jump down to the task bar by hitting Fn-down or even to the top bar with Fn-top. I shouldn't have to press the down button to wade through the screen. My task manager is at the top of the screen and the only way I can get up there is with a stylus. Not good.

I fully expect WM developers to exploit 5-way in future apps (just like Palm developers did) but that doesn't excuse Palm/MS from not exploiting it with the built-ins.
    i also do not like that when you press the phone button it does not bring up the dial pad. And when to use to speaker phone you have to press menu first. I dont know, i really like to see the evolving of new palm products. I guess i just do not like the usability of WM. it seems like everything is a 2-3-4 step procedure.. maybe i havent givin it a fair shot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast