Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 700wulz
    mac users love there macs.. but the reality of it is you can do so much more with a PC..
    When the PC is working . Ever had windows update "break" an installed program. Ever tried to make windows do something and it decides it's smarter than you and "undo" what you just did ? Ever get a virus / trojan / concept infection or anything esle. Ever dealt with resource or IRQ conflicts ? These things just don't happen to anywhere near the extent with the competition because of philosophical differences on how they are built.

Performance oriented people cringed when MS tied IE into the operating system cause IE was loaded all the time. When 3rd party peeps figured out how to "rip it out", people who depend on computer performance saw 15% performance increases with IE ripped out. It's reasons like this that turn people into Mac users. Plus the fact that when you plug something into a Mac it just works.

The CGI or photo market continues to use Macs....they just couldn't afford the downtime or performance bottlenecks. The Pentium TV commercial was made on a Mac. And no I am not a Mac user cause as an engineer I must use AutoCAD and Autodesk has a exclusivity agreement with MS so I am SOL for trying out new stuff. I can deal with windows....it gets a damn bit harder with each release as they take the control out of your hands, but I often ask why it has to be so hard.

I think the primary beef however with all versions of windows is the overhead which MS insists on building in in order to give its products an edge. Run Mozilla or Opera in windows and you are running IE and mozilla / opera at the same time cause you can't fully "unload" IE. All sorts of API's hidden and unhidden are loaded whether or not you ever use the programs. As such the Windows box always needs more hardware to run at the same speed as it's predecesor or the competition. It took a pentium 90 to run programs at the same speed as a 486/66. MS success has been largely tied to every faster growing hardware capabilities and capacities. In the smart phone form factor tho, they still have to deal with size limitations that didn't exist with the desktop market.

I haven't had a chance to play with a new WM gadget but I will bet there's some anti piracy overhead involved. I always wondered truthfully about HotSync ID's cause what if JoeBlowInc bought Treos for 10 people and put the PD on 10 machines with the same HotSync ID of "JoeBlowInc" . I gotta imagine then that any software tied to a HotSync name could be easily placed on and loaded to the Treos from all 10 PC's unless the software vendor incorporated some scheme to prevent it. Now this is pure speculation but I just gotta believe that MS has this all figured out from the getgo and invariably whatever it uses to monitor piracy is going to effect the user some negative way.

As for the Palm 700w, the one thing I won't look forward to if we adopt them is the invariable tech support instruction to "wipe the Treo clean and reinstall the OS".
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/09/2006 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by td67mustang
    i also do not like that when you press the phone button it does not bring up the dial pad. And when to use to speaker phone you have to press menu first.
    This is actually part of Palm's "innovation". They ripped out the default dailer and rely on their today plug-in. On regular WM5 PPCPE devices it works as you would expect.

Surur
    The default dial pad on WM5 for Pocket PC Phone Edition stinks. The PPC-6700, which I had for two weeks, uses it. Personally, once I got used to the smaller hard buttons on my Treo 600, I never used the on-screen dialpad, so it was a waste of screen real estate on the Treo 650, IMO.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    I think WM5 is miles better. I had been a Palm user since the Pilot (98?) and probably had about six units. My last (the Tungsten T5) was a horrific experience. Although I've only played with my 700w for about 24 hours I have to say that it has been much easier to deal with than my most recent Palm. I had the Treo up on two computers synching perfectly within 10 minutes. It took my about 20 hours before my T5 was synching and I never got it to work with two computers and it crashed several times a day. Contrary to what has been said, imho WM5 is intuitive for anyone that's ever operated a windows machine. I have some questions as to its memory, but other than that it's been perfect. I just was never impressed by the palm os or the palm pim, which required 3rd party software which thus decreased stability.
    Did you mean PPC when you said Windows machine? I have Windows on all my laptops except one, and yes, WM is just like looking through the desktop version; which I don't think is too good on a handheld when you're probably expecting to get to something fast. Now fortunately I have time to fiddle around looking for stuff in WM5, but what about those who don't? I think I'm going to have to somehow get my most used programs and/or folders shortcuts on the Today screen or Start menu, permanently. I may have to use 3rd party software for this, I'm not sure, but I'm not liking the going through multiple stuff.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Thanks again! I will be bookmarking that thread!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hobbes is wonderful. My Treo thanks you sir...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    When the PC is working . Ever had windows update "break" an installed program. ---(ad nauseum blather about how much better and more beloved MACS are snipped for sanity's sake)
    First off, check the 650 forums - how many times are people complaining of constant crashing told to 'wipe and reinstall?'

Second, to both Winbox and Mac advocates: Please take the Mac/PC holy war to a thread that a). it applies to and b). people actually want to wade through it. We have plenty already to discuss regarding WM vs. PalmOS and the fact that the Palm Treo line will now bear both systems. Maybe I'm taking the opinions of other users here for granted, but I have a feeling almost nobody wants to talk about how superior MacOS or WinXP is over the other.

BTW - as a CG artist myself, I can personally attest that Macs are not even remotely the exclusive tool for that industry.
    Last edited by pixelator; 01/09/2006 at 11:45 PM.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I think I'm going to have to somehow get my most used programs and/or folders shortcuts on the Today screen or Start menu, permanently. I may have to use 3rd party software for this, I'm not sure, but I'm not liking the going through multiple stuff.
    Yes, there are plenty of apps that do this (access to frequently used apps) - just like with PalmOS. A quick peek at any WM oriented web forum or software site will yield several Today plugins, many of which are free.

If you can manage a more openminded approach to adopting WM than your sig suggests (no offense, but bias is bias), you should be able to achieve everything you mention in this thread thus far.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    Bias, LOL! No, user experience. I just am not as thrilled with WM5. It's not really a joy to use as of now, but more like a chore. 3rd party software should help, I hope. If I really disliked WM5, I would never have bought it. I already intend on spending more money on WM devices. Unless Palm OS and Palm can get their act together, SOON. By June 2006 would be nice.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/10/2006 at 12:47 AM.

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Lady Treo, I love seeing your photo off to the left, but you are just wrong about Windows Mobile! Palm got their act together by releasing this Treo with the right OS...Ok, I'm just playing around, but I think that you will appreciate WM the more you use it.

I had to get comfortable with the Treo initially because I had been using Pocket PC for so long. Palm OS seemed so unorganized at first. I didn't know where to look for programs or where the call log was supposed to be. Things appeared to take more work to do. This was only because I hadn't done it for a while. It soon became quite simple...just like using a Mac instead of my PC would. I don't know where to look for anything on our Mac, but I'm sure I'll get it after I start to want to.
    I picked up a 700w to see if it could replace my 650. Having used Palm and Windows PDas since the original PalmPilot and WinCE 1.0 I've watched the evolution of both OS's and developed a preference for PalmOS. periodically I find myself buying a Win device but wind up returning to PalmOS.

I found the 700w to be a mixed bag - the EVDO speed is nice, and I like the multi-tasking capabilities. I also like the addition of soft buttons for operating voice mail systems. Unfortunately I still find the OS hard to navigate - I like Palm's use of the Home button to navigate through programs and the ability to assign all the buttons to different functions. the screen also has a noticable pincushion especially at the top and sometimes the backlight doesn't turn on with the phone (it looks like that happens if it's getting data when you turn on the phone). Active Sync still doesn't recognize my device even though it shows up as a mobile device in XP.

Is it a keeper? I'm not sure. I use Goodlink on the 650 for push email from our exchange server and we don't have it for the 700w (yet) nor is our server setup for exchange active synch so I can't get corporate email on it. OTOH, I like EVDO and if Goodlink on the 700w uses the native contact / email / calender datafiles (unlike the proprietary ones they use on palmOS) I can live with its quirks.

Now, if i could just get a decent NES emulator and MAME for it like I have for the Palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    Now, if i could just get a decent NES emulator and MAME for it like I have for the Palm...
    WM has NES emulators. I don't have any links off hand but I am sure a quick search would give you plenty of choices.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12