Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I know there has been a lot of "Chatter", ahem, about the Chattermail application on the Treo and how it provides email push functionality from IMAP accounts that support the IDLE protocol, which most of them do.

Well, there is an application that does the same thing for the 700w and other WM5 devices. Still in it's infancy, and you have to do some work to get it going, but it's pretty sweet.

Go here for the app called vgsmail http://www.vgsmail.com/ppc/

Then go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...mail&start=175 for a discussion of how to, pretty simply, get this to work on WM5. The developer is actively working on this and it's nice. Totally integrated into the built in Messaging app.

I tried it out and was able to see my email account on the device change realtime as I made changes from my web based email on my laptop.

Pretty cool stuff. If you are looking for realtime email and have an IMAP account this may be for you.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if Exchange IMAP supports the "idle" protocal?

If it does this could be a possible solution until they release Direct Push.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Is it fair to guess that it works with all WM5 devices? How badly does it hurt battery life?
    Does it work on WM2003?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    It works on WM2003, that's what it was originally built for. Not sure on battery life yet, but I've found it relatively stable on my 6700.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    When I last checked that app out, it did'nt work in WM5, this is great news since my Dell Axim x51v arrives next week. Loosing chatteremail made me almost cry I still hope the Chatter developer considers a WM5 version, that program is like Crack on my Treo.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    agreed, i would switch to chatter for my 700w in a heartbeat if it was anything like the POS version
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    Can ANYONE confirm that it works on the 700??? There have been reports that the 700 does not keep a data connection open all the time like the 650. Lots of 700 owners claim that the 700 dials #777 when IE launches.
    Yes, the 700w dials a connection everytime - rumor has it that palm will fix that in an upcoming patch.

t2Gungho - this bubblehead likes your quote.
    if it dials a connection everytime, then the VGS Mail client must force a constant data connection on the 700? Otherwise how would it receive the IMAP update signal for the mail server? Can anyone with a 700 try this or confirm that it keeps the connection open and receives mail and updates reliably over time?
    If you keep the data channel open all of the time the battery life is going to suffer. I believe that this closing of the channel is what causes Goodlink and other push Email clients to work so eratic right now. This is also probably why people have reported longer battery life on the 700 over the 650.

The only one I have found that works reliable is the Active Sync w/SMS notification option that exchange server has. Of course if you are not running Exchange 2003 you are out of luck with this option. I receive my messages on the TREO within seconds not truly a push, but works and acts the same.

Good and others have eluded to a new ROM patch coming from the manufacturer to take care of the data stalls. This should alleviate the constant dialing of #777 etc. The TREO is broken now... gee how many times have I heard that one (600, 650 and now 700) hopefully it will be fixed in the near future.

Doug
    WOW! I wonder what the AKU2 update with DirectPush is going to do to the battery on the 700, I'm sure it keeps the data channel open? I would assume the data stall issue will be fixed before the AKU2 update is released? This may explain why the unit was shipped without the update. Doug, can you try the VGSMail solution to see if it works on your 700? I have held off on a 700 until I can confirm that a reliable push solution is available. One question, when an SMS trigger is received from exchange and a sync is forced, does this happen in the background and new mail, contacts, calender, task changes simply appear or is ActiveSync launched and you first see a sync taking place?
    Everything happens in the background the SMS message is special and does not even show up on the phone... it simply causes a sync to occur exactly as if you had gone to the sync page and initiated a sync. Yes it works in the back ground you can be in any application including the mail client when the sync occurs you are notified of new mail etc. It works very well. Depending on the next version of Goodlink I may stay with this in favor of the battery life. e.g. no data channel maintained open. The only time the channel is opened is in response to an SMS message which is sent out of band of the data channel.

MS$ Is working on a true push for exchange. But of course a true push must be listening at all times and thus must keep the data channel open.

As for your request. I can't really mess with my phone now! I am on the road traveling all week with the new 700w just hoping it does not die

Doug
    thanks for the feedback on how the SMS trigger works. Hopefully someone with a 700 will download and install the VGSMail application to see of it works reliably and maintains decent battery life.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    There's a new version up today that is working great so far (3+ or so hours) with my 6700. It's definitely worth giving a try for those of you who want IMAP IDLE push. It is instantaneous.
    really...i guess i should try it out on my 700... =)

wireless sync works but it is hardly "push"
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    t2Gungho - this bubblehead likes your quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mhoepfin
    It works on WM2003, that's what it was originally built for. Not sure on battery life yet, but I've found it relatively stable on my 6700.
    I am going to have to try this out.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

mhoepfin are you finding that the reconnetion issues have been fixed? I read reports that when you lose the carrier signal or data signal, the VGSMail client does not reconnect automatically? Also, does the 6700 keep the data channel open or does it log in each time a network application calls for a connection like the 700? Does the transport support the sending and receiving of attachments as well, there is some confusion over this?

If anyone with a 700 can confirm that this works reliably, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    mhoepfin, one other question. Are you finding that since the data port is forced open to maintain the connection with the IMAP server, the battery life on your 6700 has suffered? Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast