1.    #1  
    I haven't heard any of the reviews mention any Palm-developed (or 3rd party bundled) task manager software. So does the 700w just use MS' own built-in task switcher/killer which I think most consider to be woefully inadequate. If so, I'm surprised by this, since a Palm-developed task switcher launched by pressing-and-holding a hard button would be easy to do and extremely useful. I'd have to think that the WM "usability department" might have pushed them not to create one, which would be consistent with their bizarre history of being hard headed about some of their worst interface design decisions.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Windows task management just plain sucks - even without a task manager, palm os rules.

Must say, after having spent a few days with this 700, its going back. Once you install a few apps, bamm, your slowing down bigtime and you have to keep closing apps to use the dang thing. I will wait with the 650 until a newer palm comes out.

I thought Windows 5.0 would grow up but I feel Palm still leads the way with the 650.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    There are probably 20 task managers that WM folks use. I have these three loaded.

Dinar Handyswitch (commercial)
    PocketNav (free but I think it has problems)
    Wisbar Advance (commercial)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    Windows task management just plain sucks - even without a task manager, palm os rules.

Must say, after having spent a few days with this 700, its going back. Once you install a few apps, bamm, your slowing down bigtime and you have to keep closing apps to use the dang thing. I will wait with the 650 until a newer palm comes out.

I thought Windows 5.0 would grow up but I feel Palm still leads the way with the 650.
    Don't blame the OS for this one. Blame Palm. Once again they have installed too little RAM on the device and this adversely affects the operation of the phone. Only 32mb of RAM?? Heck, 64mb is the least these should have.
    Samsung made a great task switcher / program launcher combo for their i730 (one-handed use friendly) - too bad palm didn't make a similar effort.
  6.    #6  
    Even if you doubled the RAM, there's still a good chance you might fill it. I think an easy-to-access task manager should be a basic part of every WM device. On the Symbian S60 platform (I finally got a chance to get some real-life experience with this as I purchased a pre-paid Cingular N-Gage QD for $100 a couple of months ago) you push-and-hold the home/application button (whatever they call it) to pop-up a list of all running apps and you can very easily and quickly kill whatever you don't want running.
  7.    #7  
    Sounds like they may have made an improvement here after all. According to a FAQ in their KnowledgeBase, it sounds like you can launch the program list (aka running app list?) by pressing and holding the hard "OK" button. Anyone want to give this a shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Even if you doubled the RAM, there's still a good chance you might fill it. I think an easy-to-access task manager should be a basic part of every WM device. On the Symbian S60 platform (I finally got a chance to get some real-life experience with this as I purchased a pre-paid Cingular N-Gage QD for $100 a couple of months ago) you push-and-hold the home/application button (whatever they call it) to pop-up a list of all running apps and you can very easily and quickly kill whatever you don't want running.
    I have the PPC-6600 with 64 mb and take a look at this post of how I use it.....I agree with Silver5 that Palm is the one who screwed up on this one (AGAIN!):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=49

There are 3rd party apps that add the task manager to the buttons:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&postcount=66
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Actually having the device (and yes they are just using the standard WM5 Memory App to manage running programs) I have not found any problems yet with only having 32MB's of Program memory.

My other device is an i730 and I actually have more problems running out of memory on it than on the 700w. I believe that is becuase the i730 is using WM2003 and it is sharing its 64MB's between storage and Program memory while the 700w has WM5 with dedicated storage and Program memory.

I can go over what I have on the device...so far I am very pleased with the Treo 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2

Here's a news flash for you. When you have too many programs running, and not enough memory, any device will slow down. It's not like the thing has a terabyte of available RAM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yes, when you hold down the OK button it will launch a taskmanger that will let you stop programs.