Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Folks,

This is a normal feature of a WM5 device and Verizon says it is available for a $15 upcharge -- but it is not supported yet - yet they offer it on the latest Blackberry.

Verizon also deleted the help files from the device that describe how to do it using BT. Do a search on "modem" and the topic comes up -- yet the file is missing.

Anyone out there have the answer?

Glenn
    junefabrics will be releasing their usb and later their bt tethering program. I used it for previous treos and it's very reliable and works very easily. it's called pdanet.
    This is something Verizon always seems to cripple, and has crippled again. Someone should be able to hack it into working again, and we are working on that aspect currently although it's hard without a actual device.

I need someone with one to check the registry entried for the available BT profiles...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    So,

if pdanet hacks it,
    and alternatively, VZW offers it for $15 a month

which should I do?

Any differences in functionality?
    Will VZW ding me if they find out I'm using pdanet? can they find out? do i want to take the chance?

My initial reaction is that $15 a month is great. Right now I'm paying $79 a month for the data card (I don't want to do a 24 month contract to lower it to $59), plus I'm paying separately for data on my treo. If I tether for $15 a month, I'll reduce my bill by $64 a month. That's a good thing.
    Your situation makes since to pay the $15/month and get rid of the data card if you use a lot of data. You need to keep in mind that you won't have your phone and an active data connection at the same time.

I'll just upgrade my PdaNet license (if they offer it). The wmodem solution on my XV6600 was a pain in the neck in comparison.

Many of us have been using DUN for years without getting flack from VZW. I'm wondering if you can add the $15 only when you need it. It comes in handy when on the road where there is no free WiFi.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Your situation makes since to pay the $15/month and get rid of the data card if you use a lot of data. You need to keep in mind that you won't have your phone and an active data connection at the same time.

I'll just upgrade my PdaNet license (if they offer it). The wmodem solution on my XV6600 was a pain in the neck in comparison.

Many of us have been using DUN for years without getting flack from VZW. I'm wondering if you can add the $15 only when you need it. It comes in handy when on the road where there is no free WiFi.

Was pdanet easier to use than the hacks that you find on the boards (like btmodem for the i730)? I wonder whether the tethering solution that VZW provides will be designed well. That's important.
  7.    #7  
    Folks,

Check this out...

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/beta.php. I just installed it and it works like a charm!

Glenn
    Excellent I used PDANET on my 600 glad to hear that it is working on the 700w I wonder if there will be any kind of upgrade or if we will have to rebuy the program?

Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

Check this out...

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/beta.php. I just installed it and it works like a charm!

Glenn

THANKS A LOT FOR THE LINK!!! Just tried it and the speeds are FAST for wireless cell. NICE JOB JUNEFABRICS!
    fyi, in case anyone is wondering what kinda speed is typical.

I was getting 342K/47K.
    Very Nice
    uh, it didn't quite work with mine. Am i supposed to connect it physically with the USB cable or can i connect it with bluetooth and activesync? I don't have the USB cable with me right now (its at work), so I can't test it.

Does it support bluetooth??
    no bluetooth, not that i know of. I am using the USB cable. I have one of those charging cables and it is like a foot long. perfect length for laptop use.
    Its possible that by opening the extended rom and running the programs there that cripple the DUN, you can then remove them from the device using the add/remove programs link.

See this thread:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=63829
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey
    no bluetooth, not that i know of. I am using the USB cable. I have one of those charging cables and it is like a foot long. perfect length for laptop use.
    The pdanet home page says that you can connect with BT if you have a 650. I would hope that the 700 version would have that capacity as well.
    should this work with the sync cable that comes with the phone? The PdaNet sw does not seem to see the phone when I connect it to my laptop using this cable.
    you need to install ActiveSync so that the computer and phone are linked. yes the cable that comes with the phone will work.

The beta does not mention bluetooth or not, so I would assume not. but their final version might have it. who knows.
    The beta is working great for me right now and only over cable now. but the cable is much faster than BT any way. getting about 400 down on my laptop in dc
    I agree - usb cable is the best way to go - not that the wireless solution isn't great. I am running the Beta and it is running so much faster than my Sprint connection using PDANet for the 650. This is the reason I purchased the 700w. Sweet.
    interesting, I am in orlando and only getting 20k downloads right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast