1.    #1  
    Any reasonable rumors yet on TMOBILE and Treo 650 or 700? TMO is good as the best and easily the lowest cost carrier in this market.
    Harvey
    Highly unlikely TMO will get a 700 any time soon. First a 700W would be 6 months wait min - as that is VZW exclusivity period. A 700P is rumored to be coming to Sprint in the next qtr. I would guess they will have a 6 month exclusive on it. (Just guessing on that.) If so, that would be mean 6-9 months min for a TMo version of the 700.

As for the 650, can't you just buy an unlocked version today?
  3.    #3  
    Long boring story: long time TMO customer, I bought a Cingular 650 for the features and had immediate reception problems home and office. My choices were to return the phone (which I loved) or get unlock code from Cingular which I did. Problems have continued with dropped calls, constant resets. Cingular denies responsibilty because of switch to TMO while TMO denies since they didn't sell phone. Palm has been great by replacing the phone but identical problems persist. I have changed sim trays, sim cards, deleted all third party apps and still no sloution.... Cingular code change is at the core of all this I think...The thing to have done was to have returned the ##^&*^ phone when the first reception problems were encountered and never have unlocked I'm afraid. Love the phone, wish I had never left TMO and the accountability.
    Thoughts?,
    Harvey
    T-Mobile's service is what lured me away from Verizon. I just couldn't take one more call to VZ customer support over billing mistakes, so I bolted. What spurred me into action, however, and ended my feet-dragging about switching carriers was what happened during the last blackout in NYC in 2003. I tried in vain to get a call out on my Verizon phone but there was no signal. Some guy standing next to me using a TMO phone finished his conversation and offered me his phone to use. Call went through. I switched.

I'm eager for T-Mobile to get the 700w or (rumored) 700p but I'm not holding my breath. If they ever get it at all I would expect a 6 month wait minimum with no guarantee they'll carry it ever. They still haven't gotten the Treo 650 so it doesn't look good for the 700w. I think us TMO users will have to get it from Palm directly when they start to offer it. That means no subsidized price for us but at least we'll have a chance to get it unbranded.
    Harvey: If you did not apply the updater, try that. I bought a used 650 (unlocked by Cingular before I bought it) and applied the 1.51/1.17-CNG Updater. I have a stable phone (no resets at all since replacing the SIM tray) running several third party apps and am on T-Mobile in the NJ/NYC metro area. T-Mo Web works as well as the T-Mo VPN for data access. Reception is good (I travel nationwide).
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk6235
    Harvey: If you did not apply the updater, try that. I bought a used 650 (unlocked by Cingular before I bought it) and applied the 1.51/1.17-CNG Updater. I have a stable phone (no resets at all since replacing the SIM tray) running several third party apps and am on T-Mobile in the NJ/NYC metro area. T-Mo Web works as well as the T-Mo VPN for data access. Reception is good (I travel nationwide).
    I think a lot of people with unlocked phones fear that using the original carrier's update might re-lock the phone, locking them out of using it! Your experience shows this is not the case though. You didn't have to go through the unlocking proceedure again after the update, did you?
    I just bought an unlocked 650 from the PALM store. I too am a TMO customer. I assume by year's end, PALM will carry unlocked 700's IF they release a Sprint/Cingular version first.
    I updated my Unlocked Cingular 650 (using TMobile) with the 1.17CNG, and have had no problems.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    and how exactly would one use a CDMA phone like the 700w on a GSM carrier like T-mobile or Cingular unless they come out with a GSM version?