Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, this thread is not a re-hashing of "why doesn't push work". I am looking for insight into good third party redirector products so that I may access work email from the Treo 700w (push or not).

Work emails consists of an Exchange server behind a firewall with no VPN access immediately available, only Outlook Web Access currently. Company uses blackberries on a whole.

I am looking for desktop redirection software that I can run from my PC within the firewall that can then check email on the Exchange Server (through Outlook?) and provide it to my Verizon Treo 700w. This needs to be without any needed Exchange server plugins (it does not matter if this is real 'push' or not).

Anyone have any experience with any viable desktop redirector solutions that my enable me to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    Yes....it took me a year to find and figure this out!

The IT department for the company I work for is so tight that not even District Managers are allowed mobile access to retrieve emails. For the last 2 1/2 years I have been fighting them to allow road access. I had one of the IT guys forward a copy of all my emails to a personal work dedicated email POP address. That worked great for 10 months, until the head of IT saw it and cut me off immediately.

But I have now just found the perfect solution. Even though we do not have mobile access, we do have OWA 2003 (Outlook Web Access). A web interface for our corp mail. There is a tool call Mr Postman that will access the web access and download all the emails for you. The good news is that will access:
    • Corp Email with OWA and OWA 2003
    • Gmail
    • Juno email
    • Hotmail
    • Rediff email
    • Mail Dot Com
    • Generic email
    • Gossamer
    • and RSS Feeds!

So this is what I did. I set it up on my home computer which is always on with cable internet. Set up a rule to move all emails from that account to a work folder. And set up a second rule to Redirect all emails from that account to a personal Comcast POP account dedicated to work emails set up on my PDA.

Since Outlook does not have a in house redirect option, I am using Redirect for Outlook version: 1.8 from http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/redirect/ . This is vital because if you only forward the emails to your handheld, then everytime you hit reply it will send it back to you. If you redirect them (even though in the email list it looks like it came from you) this plug in also forwards on the email header unchanged so when you hit reply it will go back to those who originally sent it.

I am also using the 15 day free trial at 4smartphone.net to see if there are any advantages with using it instead of just pulling it from my POP3 account directly.

Now without IT even knowing or having to do anything I now have access to all of my work email on my phone!

Here is the link:

http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/

I have asked a couple programers to see if they can make a WM03 & WM05 version of Mr Postman to run directly on the handheld....that way you cut out all the middle men like your desktop and 4smartphone and download directly to your PDA. I got some thumbs up as a good idea but no takers yet. Whoever takes this on could make a mint. Those who need it would easily pay $15-20 or more for this......I know I would.
  3.    #3  
    Hobbes, you're the man! Thanks so much... this sounds like exactly what I was looking for! (Even for simply accessing OWA mail from my home desktop more easily!)
    Hobbes, I'm sure you realize the irony of your employer not even allowing basic POP access to your e-mail while at the same time exposing your entire Exchange account (including contacts, notes and calendar info ) to the rest of the world via WebDAV/OWA...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Don't get me started!!!!!!!!
    You can go even easier than that, and avoid all that other account business, and forwarding to a POP account blah blah. Plus - you don't want to use the browser on the Treo to get your mail - that's a crappy experience, and one that doesn't make sense on a handheld. You need to use a device-specific mail client.

You can use any number of redirectors (Verizon's own Wireless Sync works great), as long as the PC that's doing the redirecting is able to maintain a stable and persistent connection to your company network. I believe on the 700, there's a small installer app that will start you through the install process. You can also go to the Wireless Sync website - www.wirelesssync.vzw.com - and set it all up there. You'll have real time push capability for ALL your Exchange info, not just email. Calendar, contacts, tasks, notes - all of it PLUS email.

Also - if your company allows OWA access (which it seems they do), you can just use Exchange Active Sync on your 700w to get your mail. You won't have to use anything in between. Go to Active Sync on the 700 (Start/Programs/Active Sync) and hit the menu button. Select 'Add Server Source' - put in the same URL that you would use to access OWA from your PC when you're traveling. Follow the prompts to put in your domain user name and password, etc and you will be be set. You'll want to use an SMS trigger to get your device to have email pushed to you - here's the settings to use there:
    SMS settings (until AUTD comes out)

Set sync schedule to "as items arrive" in the schedule screen of ActiveSync.

Tap on "Set device up to sync when items arrive"

Service provider: Other

Text Messaging Address: 10digit-phone@vtext.com (i.e. 212-555-1212@vtext.com)

So - you have a ton of options, and you can tell the IT folks to pound sand.

Good luck!
    I tried to sync with OWA but I could not get it to ever work.....is it possible for them to prevent that? If so, they would.

Due some licensing issues ect...I am not able to use VPN as we are only allowed one VPN connect and that is from our laptops. And as you how stable VPN connects can be!?!

So far what I am doing now is the only way I have been able to have access to my work email in 2 1/2 years of trying.
  8.    #8  
    The SMS messages with Wireless Sync... do they 'count' as 'IN' messages? I have a plan for unlimited 'IN' messages and 50 'out' (non verizon customer) messages. I could see running up a nice bill if they're not considered 'IN'.
    mogrefy - I don't know the answer to that. They're just text messages, so you'd have to check your plan details. Also - Wireless Sync doesn't use SMS - just Exchange ActiveSync, for now. Wireless Sync uses an IP push mechanism. Not SMS.

So Wireless Sync doesn't use or need SMS.

Hobbes - beats me. Perhaps there is some way for IT to block OWA from a device. I don't there is, though. If OWA is working, then EAS on the device uses the same mechanism.

Also, neither of these solutions I'm talking about use or need VPN. They're all behind the firewall. VPN isn't needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Also, neither of these solutions I'm talking about use or need VPN. They're all behind the firewall. VPN isn't needed.
    If anyone is looking to kill some time and have fun, you can mount your Exchange OWA share as a WebDAV volume (called Web Folders in the Windows world) and access it just like any other mapped drive on XP or MacOS X (or frankly anything else that can access WebDAV). You'll see all your e-mail files, contacts, etc...

You can even use it as an emergency file store when you're on the road.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    If anyone is looking to kill some time and have fun, you can mount your Exchange OWA share as a WebDAV volume (called Web Folders in the Windows world) and access it just like any other mapped drive on XP or MacOS X (or frankly anything else that can access WebDAV). You'll see all your e-mail files, contacts, etc...

You can even use it as an emergency file store when you're on the road.
    Sure, I have time to kill... the 700w was supposed to arrive by FedEx this morning but hasn't

Have a link for instructions on setting up this mapping?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrefy
    Have a link for instructions on setting up this mapping?
    No, the setup will depend on what you're using and a bit on your particular Exchange setup.

In XP you just create a new Network Place. Use your Exchange URL as the address (usually http//yourexchangedomain.com/exchange/yourusername) and enter you login credentials when/if prompted.

Other OS's will work differently, but the idea is the same.

Actually there's a Palm app that does this really well but I'm having brain lock and can't remember the name... it's the same one that lets you access Windows shares...
    wireless sync - when i try to enter mobile number and then "get password" , it says "password un authenticated" !!

how do I get the dang thing to work with aol imap email - ??
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    wireless sync - when i try to enter mobile number and then "get password" , it says "password un authenticated" !!

how do I get the dang thing to work with aol imap email - ??
    Are you doing this on the Wireless Sync web side of things, or on your device?

here's the big picture on how Wireless Sync works, at least in the personal/individual mode (as opposed to server mode, which is another option they have).

You first set up your account on the Wireless Sync web interface, via your PC. Do this at www.wirelesssync.vzw.com - you create your account by putting in your phone number, and creating a password. That process creates your account on their web servers. That account does a variety of things:
    - if you use POP or IMAP, you enter those settings there on THAT web interface (not on the device). That web account polls/checks your POP/IMAP mail account, and delivers the mail down to your device, on the Wireless Sync device application.
    - if you use Exchange or Domino, and want to have all your Outlook/Notes info sent and sync'd to your device automatically, you have to do one of two things:
    a. Set up the 'PC Monitor' service to run on your PC, which must maintain a persistent connection to your company network. Commonly called 'redirectors', these are not loved by most IT folks. You'll get smacked for doing this, unless you can hit them harder with your Treo700sw.
    b. Set up what's called a 'Workgroup Monitor' - some PC in the company, not necessarily yours, that also can maintain a constant connection to the Exchange/Domino server.
    The monitor service, running either on your PC or the department flava, acts essentially as the behind the firewall server, checking your Exchang/Domino account for changes, and sending those changes to your device (new email, meetings, whatever).

The point is that you need to set up the account ON THE WIRELESS SYNC server first, and then enter your account and password on the Wireless Sync device client after that. This is not like Chatter or SnapperMail, where you put in your POP user name and mail account info directly on the device. The Wireless Sync web interface acts as the go-between for your device and your POP/IMAP mail server.

Make sense?
    nrosser is right. VZW WirelessSync works great. Some people at our company are GoodLink licensed. I use WirelessSync (poor mans push) and I get my emails about 1 sec slower than they do with GoodLink. (We've raced.) Once setup it works great.
    I should add, as an advantage of a dedicated server solution like goodlink, with WirelessSync I'm also able to get my personal POP mail pushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have asked a couple programers to see if they can make a WM03 & WM05 version of Mr Postman to run directly on the handheld....that way you cut out all the middle men like your desktop and 4smartphone and download directly to your PDA. I got some thumbs up as a good idea but no takers yet. Whoever takes this on could make a mint. Those who need it would easily pay $15-20 or more for this......I know I would.
    Here is a follow up. I have asked Vijay555 (the developer of some really cool WM tools) and the developers of Mr Postman on the possibility of this:

You can follow both of these
    http://vijay555support.host4phpbb.co....php?p=136#136

and

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...group_id=68124

With this information that I am starting to gather....is there anyone else in the WM community that you think we could approach. This would be a gold mine, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Hobbes - beats me. Perhaps there is some way for IT to block OWA from a device. I don't there is, though. If OWA is working, then EAS on the device uses the same mechanism.
    I have entered in the OWA address, my login information, the domain....and when I try to sync, it just continually tries to connect and I various messages like:

Server not responding
    or
    Unable to locate server

I can access OWA just fine via the web with the same server address. Mr Postman is working fine.

Any suggestions at all?
    huh. I'm clueless. I'm not an Exchange Admin - maybe someone here is, and can toss in any ideas.....
    Folks,

OWA works over port 80 (obviously), and exchange active sync probably uses IMAP or other ports & protocols. So the address of the exchange server may be the same, but the ports needed are likely blocked by your IT department because Windows servers have become so vulnerablw to attack.

Glenn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast