Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    I need clarification as to why the E911 GPS location data is not able to be used? Maybe it is not quick enough..or accurate enough?

I have read all the posts but I still don't understand.

Thanks,

-Eric
    Thanks for watching! We'll see you next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecostello
    I did find an issue transferring maps to my Palm via ActiveSync. The application does not correctly recognize the amount of free storage on my 2GB SD card. This prevented me from installing all of the US maps (approx. 1GB of data) via the Data Tranfer Wizard. CoPilot support is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. Until the fix is available, they provided me detailed instructions for transferring the data manually. Since I have transferred all of the US data to the card, this process will not need to be repeated and was a minor inconvenience.

Only time will tell, but I am impressed with preliminary usage of these products.

Eric

I had the same issue, but was able to resolve it by removing the SD from the Treo and hooking it up to my notebook. The Copilot software then recognized it as a 2GB card and went ahead and installed the selected map data. Which was just as well since it went much faster than trying to push it through activesync.

So far I am very impressed with the CoPilot / BT-338 combo on the 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo
    I need clarification as to why the E911 GPS location data is not able to be used? Maybe it is not quick enough..or accurate enough?

I have read all the posts but I still don't understand.

Thanks,

-Eric
    That's my issue too. I can only assume that there is a device driver for the GPS hardware that is either hidden or deliberately omitted. There is a setting to allow the GPS to broadcast your location (to whom????) but no way I have yet discovered to use it from an application.

Some of the more clever hacker types out there ought to be able to figure this out.

Walt
    Just got the 700w and Streets and Trips 2006 with a GPS Locater. Any know if it is possible to get directions from one location to another in Pocket Streets? If so, how?
    Quote Originally Posted by walts
    That's my issue too. I can only assume that there is a device driver for the GPS hardware that is either hidden or deliberately omitted. There is a setting to allow the GPS to broadcast your location (to whom????) but no way I have yet discovered to use it from an application.

Some of the more clever hacker types out there ought to be able to figure this out.

Walt
    There is no GPS hardware in the phone, it simply triangulates your position from multiple cell towers. It's not true GPS and does not send a GPS data stream as is required by GPS software. Wait all you want, it's not going to happen because it's simply not possible.
    Anyone use Pharos' Nav software. I received the Pharos device with the software and installed it. I've never used another Nav software before and I was wondering what you guys think of it compared to CoPilot, TomTom, and iGuidance. I'm waiting for iGuidance 2.2 with 240x240 support. My brother has an older version of it and I like it and will probably get that when it comes out.....but I'd like thoughts on the Pharos. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzword
    Response received this afternoon after I left a message for tech support earlier today:

"We will be releasing v2.2 early 4/06 and this version will have 240x240 screen support."

Update: Latest info is end of May.
    Update: Someone was told yesterday by support it's now v3, sometime around the end of June or first 2 weeks of July
    Last edited by buzzword; 05/16/2006 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Correction
    Now that's a pisser. I was so hoping to get that by month's end. I'm stuck with this ridiculous Ostio crap that i got for free. This thing can't even take me home from Reagan airport in Wash DC (even though it got me there just fine). Not to mention the thousand other weird quirks. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I'd suggest a car cradle with built in receiver. A BT receiver with 20 hour battery life won't help ya if ya Treo battery dies 4 hours into a 6 hour trip. It also eliminates the "I trying to run twin BT devices and Treo suppossed to do that but mine behaving badly" issues.

There's a sticky which details install procedure in the Palm OS Apps section. Much of the steps would be identical for WM5

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=102991
    Does anybody know of any car cradles with built in receivers for the 700w? I've spoken with seidio and they are not currently planning on designing a G4850 for the 700w and Arkon claims that they've discontinued cradles with integrated GPS receivers. I'm looking for a unit which I can leave in my car, dock my 700 when I get in, and have GPS/music/speakerphone/etc. without having to deal with the fickleness of bluetooth on top of my bluetooth headset.
    Hi all - excellent thread, I wish I'd found it sooner!

I have recently upgraded from a Treo 600/Mapopolis combo to a Treo 700w (and still looking for decent GPS software). My findings so far:

- CoPilot looks good on the surface (text-to-speech, support for the 700w, etc.) but unfortunately falls flat on its face on the most basic task, i.e. accurate navigation. It instructed me innumerable times to make forbidden moves (go the wrong way down a one-way street, make a left turn where none is allowed), but what finally made me send it back is when it told me to get on I-93 North, then make a U-turn after 1.5 miles. This turned out to be one of those emergency-vehicle-only breaks in the highway (how else do you make a U-turn on a divided, interstate highway?)

- TomTom scores very high on the eye-candy factor (and I generally do like its user interface), but its maps are woefully out of date, at least in my area (New England), which incidentally doesn't change very fast, compared to others. Again, great looking software (except it doesn't do text-to-speech) but fails at basic navigation (though not as badly as CoPilot).

- Mapopolis for the PPC fails in the department where the others shine (user interface) but at least on the 700w it is a vast improvement (in speed) over the 600, and its navigation remains accurate.

Is there a product out there that combines good map data (Navteq?) with a good interface (e.g. TomTom's)? From this forum, it sounds like iGuidance would be it, but the 240x240 version is not out yet (and may not be). Any other options?

Is this about it as far as the current state of the art of GPS nav for the 700w? Wait for iGuidance 2.2 and hope they support 240x240, or compromise on one issue (navigation) or the other (user interface)?
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    So, has the definitive solution for the 700w been determined yet?
    Doesn't look like it. I'm sticking with the Palm-branded TomTom GPS kit for now, it works well enough (though not as well as Mapopolis did on my Treo 600!) and it's nice to have a Y cable that powers both the GPS and the 700. TomTom maps are not as accurate as Mapopolis', but at least it won't send you the wrong way down a one-way street (at least not nearly as often as Copilot did). I've got used to it and it's working well enough for me to not return it (not a ringing endorsement). I'll wait for v3 of iGuidance (July?) and evaluate it then.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I've got tomtom coming on Monday.. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Just got my TomTom and Treo 700w working. Initial impressions here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=116508
    im currently looking for a gps solution for my 700w. has anyone seen this?

(iguidance 3.0)
    http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance21_comp.html

will this be the answer? i see so many bad things about copilot and tomtom in so many forums but everyone loves iguidance. i also noticed it wasnt 240x240 supported. im in the market and will be a first time gps user. i travel alot now with my personal business and i dont want tons of different devices to worry about. the treo gave me the ability to leave the laptop behind. now i want to avoid buying a stand alone navi device.

just looking for some thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtjumpshot
    im currently looking for a gps solution for my 700w. has anyone seen this?

(iguidance 3.0)
    http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance21_comp.html

will this be the answer? i see so many bad things about copilot and tomtom in so many forums but everyone loves iguidance. i also noticed it wasnt 240x240 supported. im in the market and will be a first time gps user. i travel alot now with my personal business and i dont want tons of different devices to worry about. the treo gave me the ability to leave the laptop behind. now i want to avoid buying a stand alone navi device.

just looking for some thoughts.
    Read my comments in this thread. iGuidance 3.0 is very accurate and you can operate it 100% by your fingertips. No need for the stylus.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=118352
    thanks!

does the software have text to speech?
    Quote Originally Posted by jtjumpshot
    thanks!

does the software have text to speech?
    iGuidance doesn't speak street names, although it will speak highway numbers (two oh four south, etc). The navigation is done by voice.
  19.    #139  
    I just confirmed that I will be getting a free upgrade to iGuidance 3.0. They will start to process upgrades on 7/10/06. Many of the improvements look very nice and I cannot wait to get my hands on it! As soon as I get it and have a day or two to play with it I will post a review as a follow up to the OP.

Normally they only have a two month window for the free upgrades but they have extended it way back due to release delays. Here the important links for getting your upgrade:

www.inavcorp.com/news.html#news15
    Customers who purchased v2.1.3 from an authorized reseller on or after 12/20/05 will qualify for free map upgrade exchange. We will begin processing exchange requests starting 7/10/06. Add'l information will be posted on http://www.inavcorp.com/upgrade/index.html by 7/10. Please note this is a one-time exception to our normal 2-month period exchange policy due to release delay on our part.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 07/07/2006 at 03:53 PM.
  20.    #140  
    It is now live!!! If any of you have purchased iGuidance between 12/19/05 and now, then you can now get your free upgrade to version 3..........but you must do by 8/8/06 or you will have to pay $79 to upgrade!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast