Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I bet GPS Gate is hating this feature then!
    Since the 700w is equiped with GPS for E911 is there a way to utilize that for software like the one from Tom Tom?

Are you serious?
    The 700 has a GPS chipset built in that receives the GPS satellite
    positioning information?

Thats awesome!

I was thinking that they would probably just use RF triangulation
    on the cell towers, but you learn something new everyday!

The bluetooth GPS companies arent going to like that!
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    No it hasnt.

Surur
    I just got TomTom Navigator 5 working on the 700. You can follow the direction on the bottom of this page (using the image of the CD and setup.exe from the update): http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...r=asc&start=75

Unfortunately, I was unable to get it to install voices and maps this way. I installed the voices by copying the cab files from the \voices directory of the CD to my SD card and running them from File Explorer. For the maps, I used the Advanced option of the maps installation program to install them directly to the SD card, via a card reader.

Once this was done I ran it, entered my activation code, setup my Holux GPSlim 236 and that was it. Works like a charm. Only good news so far considering my 700 is hung every morning due the standby/SD bug.

Meat
    Excellent News. btw, what is the standby/SD bug?
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty
    Excellent News. btw, what is the standby/SD bug?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&page=2&pp=20

Meat
    TomTom support stinks! I can't activate mine because I previously had it activated on another phone and it won't allow me to activate my copy again. I sent them a message on Friday and still have not heard back.
    Well I'm a little new to this GPS stuff, so I'll go ahead and ask a really dumb question, so forgive me. I have a Dell Axim that I keep in my truck that does nothing but GPS, I bought an attachment for it and software and it works great.

My question is..what hardware would I put in my Treo to give it GPS? I see the recommendations for software, but I'm curious what and where would you install the hardware for the Treo?

...I told you it was prolly a dumb question.

Thanks in advanced.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    TomTom support stinks! I can't activate mine because I previously had it activated on another phone and it won't allow me to activate my copy again. I sent them a message on Friday and still have not heard back.
    I had my copy previously activated on my treo 650 also. I did not have to do anything special to reactivate it on the tro 700. I just entered the code on the screen and it worked. I did however call TomTom (not email) last week (and got a callback early yesterday) about their support for the treo 700 and that I wanted to know because I uggraded my phone. The lady said they didn't support it because they haven't tested it yet. She said nothing about anything special with regard to reactivating it.

How did you get it installed on the 700? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Meat
    Actually, with Blue Tooth, you don't have to install any hardware. You could put a bt gps unit on your dash, in a cup holder, on a key chain, or carry it in your pocket.
  11.    #51  
    Exactly BT is the best way to go. I listed three hardware BT units in my review in the first post that might help.
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Have you tried a cable hookup? The $99 sale price makes this an interesting receiver option. I would need a RJ-11 connector for use with a Seidio car kit.
    I got all the gear I need to do this, but haven't tried it yet. So far, every time I've used it, I've used it via Bluetooth. Others have used it via cable, though, so I'm confident that it should work without a problem. This is on a Palm OS Treo 650, so it hasn't been confirmed with a Treo 700w, but I wouldn't expect any problems there.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I installed iGuidance 2.1.3 on my 700w and it installs fine and gets the signal from my iTrek BT perfectly. There is a problem with the 240x240 though. The menu screens are chopped off and there is no way to scroll them so basically the program is unusable. I hope iNav creates a patch for us poor 700w folks I'd hate to have to purchase another $100 or so gps program.
  15.    #55  
    I don't know if this would even help or not, but id you install the patch I linked in post 34?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I don't know if this would even help or not, but id you install the patch I linked in post 34?
    Yep I installed the WM5 compatible patched version which is 2.1.3

I emailed iNav support with my findings.
  17.    #57  
    Let us know the moment you hear anything....I hope this works for you, as this is my favorite.....but the worst of the good news is that if it doesn't it appears TomTom is working with the Treo at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Let us know the moment you hear anything....I hope this works for you, as this is my favorite.....but the worst of the good news is that if it doesn't it appears TomTom is working with the Treo at the moment.
    Where did you see that? I'm trying to find a decent prog for my Treo and I cannot wait to get something. I'm just too excited about it. Ahhh...I suppose I just need to wait till some of these companies announce that they support it. IGuidance seems to be the best looking (I don't know, I guess I haven't see all of the programs yet)...so I'm kinda leaning towards that. Plus, Semson has some nice bundles with that program.
  19.    #59  
    Post 44 above.
    Quote Originally Posted by meatster
    I had my copy previously activated on my treo 650 also. I did not have to do anything special to reactivate it on the tro 700. I just entered the code on the screen and it worked. I did however call TomTom (not email) last week (and got a callback early yesterday) about their support for the treo 700 and that I wanted to know because I uggraded my phone. The lady said they didn't support it because they haven't tested it yet. She said nothing about anything special with regard to reactivating it.

How did you get it installed on the 700? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Meat
    Apparently they allow you to activate it for two different devices which I previously had done. I still can't get it activated and I finally got an answer from support saying that it is not supported. I replied to them so I am waiting another week for an answer.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast