Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I also just got a new BT GPS which I think deserves to be included in the list of the best of what's currently available. It's the Holux GPSlim236. It uses the SiRF Star III chipset, so it's super-sensitive and quick to get a fix. It's also very tiny and has a removable battery. It's claim to fame is that it has a mini-USB port which allows you to hook it up to a laptop or a Treo using a special cable instead of using BT.
    Have you tried a cable hookup? The $99 sale price makes this an interesting receiver option. I would need a RJ-11 connector for use with a Seidio car kit.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 01/09/2006 at 09:47 AM.
    Any idea how much that package by Sedio will cost yet? I am definitely interested.
  3.    #23  
    Here are 3 more sources to help find answers:

Pocket GPS
    GpsPasSion (already mentioned in original email)
    Pocket PC GPS
    It seems as though CoPilot live is "Square Aware" as Microsoft puts it. Has anyone ever used it?
    Since the 700w is equiped with GPS for E911 is there a way to utilize that for software like the one from Tom Tom?

Seems like this should work...

Thanks

PRO
  6.    #26  
    Nope...it sends information the other way to other services like 911 or ever up and coming web/wireless services. It does not recieve your location information and pass it onto your phone.
    It's a shame they didn't implement a fully functional chipset for GPS in the 700w. Heck even some basic cell phones have this feature( see Sanyo 7400,5600 and Samsung A900). With the cell phones you don't even have to load up the maps onto your SD card. It's all done VIA EVDO and works very well.

For the 700w check here

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/010306c.html

The only hope now is the 700P.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by meatster
    I haven't been able to install TomTom navigator 5 on the 700. The setup program crashes and TomTom support says "we don't support the 700 because we haven't tested it yet". Anyone else have better luck?

Meat
    There are some links in the other GPS thread to some great Pocket PC GPS sites that might help you find an answer to this:

Add GPS, you won't regret it if you travel....
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    It's a shame they didn't implement a fully functional chipset for GPS in the 700w. Heck even some basic cell phones have this feature( see Sanyo 7400,5600 and Samsung A900). With the cell phones you don't even have to load up the maps onto your SD card. It's all done VIA EVDO and works very well.

For the 700w check here

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/010306c.html

The only hope now is the 700P.
    I use GPS all the time.....and is easy to use with BT. I would rather WIFI internal! That way we wouldn't have to take out the SD card to get WIFI.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    There is an app called GPS on the 700 but all it appears to do is to let one select the serial port for GPS data. I ignored it when I paired with my BT338 (using GSPDash). Have any idea what this app is for?

Frank
    Can the 700w/WM05 be used with both a Bluetooth GPS receiver and a Bluetooth headset simultaneously?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I looked at the GPS menu on the new 700w and it appears that a GPS mapping tool should be able to use the GPS data stream once you allocate a com port. Has no one tried this? It does appear that the GPS in the Treo is supposed to be able to allow access to position data by applications, but of course I could be wrong! I'll try and concvince my friend with the 700w to install Mapopolis and we'll post the results.
  13.    #33  
    Yes....At one time on my WM03 PPC-6600, I have been using my GPS reciever, my BT keyboard, my BT mouse for my WM phone, and my BT headset.

No problems.
  14.    #34  
    Here is the reply I got back from iGuidance:

Yes, iGudiacne v2.1.3 is compatible w/ wm5.

However, if your PDA is a non-VGA model, please be sure to download a 3-D display patch via http://www.inavcorp.com/support/v2/v213.php, click on "patch file" link and download file #2.

We haven't tested v2.1.3 on Treo w/ 240x240 screen yet but we hope to find out about the compatibility later this week.

Thank you.
    Support Team
    I asked if they will automatically follow up with me after they test and they said they would. I will let you know if I when I hear more.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I would rather WIFI internal! That way we wouldn't have to take out the SD card to get WIFI.
    What does that mean? You want to use WiFi to connect to your GPS unit?
  16.    #36  
    No....just a comment that if Palm was going to spend time, money, and resources with adding an additional feature internally, I think WIFI would be more beneficial than GPS.
    I got the same response.
    Well at least they know people are anxiously awaiting word on whether or not it works on the 700w.
    Not from a battery standpoint. plus, with EVDO built in I really don't see the advantage of having wifi anyway unless you need to get on your home network for some strange reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcgirt
    There is an app called GPS on the 700 but all it appears to do is to let one select the serial port for GPS data. I ignored it when I paired with my BT338 (using GSPDash). Have any idea what this app is for?

Frank
    It allows you to multiplex the serial port from the GPS unit. This way the GPS app connects to your physical device, and the your navigation software connects to the virtual com port created by the GPS app. Why the intermediate step? Its so you can connect multiple navigation software to the same physical com port. You could connect your navigation software and your GPS logger and your speed camera POI software all at the same time. Its all part of that WM multi-tasking thing.

Surur
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast