Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see it all the time...those who are new to WM or who are coming from Palm say within the first day (or less than an hour) of using a totally new OS, "I can't move around in it like I could with my Palm OS".....Well, no surprise because it is not Palm but a totally different OS. I know that is so obvious that it shouldn't need to said, but sometimes going back to the basics can really help a lot people as they transition into the WM world.

Some of the biggest complaints sound like this:
    • It takes 5 times more clicks to do the same thing in POS
    • Everything is hidden in menus and I can't find anything or takes too long to get to it.
    • I can dial 3 people on my Palm Treo in the same time it takes me to dial one number in WM.
    Most of all these complaints can be addressed by simple knowledge of the tools and settings options of WM out of the box or some 3rd party apps ranging from free to $15.

I have seen this same type of comments brought up in so many other threads in the last 3 days that I wanted to start a Ease of Use / One Hand Tips thread to help those new to WM understand how easy it really is to use WM. In the Future Treo forum buried on the 3rd page of a thread I had a post that the follow is based off of, but greatly added to, about addressing the ease of use of a WM device vs a Treo Palm device.

HARDWARE BUTTONS
    The actual hardware can play a HUGE part in this question. For example the PPC-6600 series of phones have 9 programable hardware buttons. This includes Start Menu and OK (Close) buttons. The 6600 also has 5 way nav. I have my buttons set to launch:
    • Calendar
    • Email
    • PIE
    • WebIs Mail
    • Start Menu
    • Camera
    • VC for easy voice dialing while driving
    • OK (close)
    • Rotate screen between Landscape and Portrait
    I am not sure how many are programable on the Treo 700w, but it probably is a fair amount. To map your buttons to launch those most used apps with one hit of a hardware buttton, go to Start Menu>>Setting>>Personal>>Buttons

SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
    Many people do not give enough credit to either the customizable Start Menu or the Today Page. What I cannot access directly with a single click of a hardware button, I can usually access with only one to three clicks of the 5 way nav or a single tap of my finger on the Today Page.

For example in the settings ( Menu>>Setting>>Personal>>Menus ) you can specify up to 8 or so programs to include at the very top of your Start Menu. With any file manager, you can also easily organize your Start Menu in a very organized fashion.....just like I used to do with Zlauncher with the same amount of 5 way nav clicks to launch a program. Then you add in the Recent section of the Start Menu that shows the last 5 or so more programs that you most recently launched. And all if it accessable with a Start Menu button and 5 way nav'able.

In the same Menu Settings above you can also somewhat customize the New button that lets you easily start a new Appointment, Word Doc, Excel Spreadsheet, Contact, Task, Note, Message, etc..... with only only two taps with your finger.

In order to stream line your Today Page and to clear away all the clutter go to Menu>>Setting>>Personal>>Today>>Items and you can select and uncheck any item to display on your Today Page.

You have to remember that this phone has only been out for less than 72 hours now and with a new OS that is only a few months old. Anytime you are a pioneer with a new device you have to expect that there will updates to programs coming soon if they are not arleady availabe for WM05 or for square screens. So if some of the options below are not WM05 ready yet.....keep a close eye on them so you can use the moment they are. Some of these options:

Just like with Palm OS, WM has several 3rd party Menu solutions to help organize the menu to be more effective. I personally use Wisbar Advance, which is currently in public beta testing for WM05 so you can try it out and see how it works on the 700w. I have screen shots below of how I use this with organizing my menu like I mentioned above. You can see it at http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/index.php . They also have a new add on to this called Wisbar Desktop that is WM05 compatible, but I have not tried it myself.

Or there are several free to pay for utilities that will let you add icons on your Today page for all of your favorite or most used programs. I use a Today screen plugin called Pocket Plus ( http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en )that I think officially is suppose to work with WM05, but is aparently needing some tweaking for some WM05 devices. One of the advantages of this is you can put program icons on your Start Page. Another tool that will do this and has worked on other WM05 devices is iLauncher found here: http://www.sbsh.net/products/ilauncher/ . You can see a row of icons in the screen shot below.

You add a couple utilities like PocketBreeze and Contact Breeze which are WM05 compatable found at http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketbreeze/ , and I rarely have open my Calendar and Contacts...all accessed from the Today Screen. With ContactBreeze I can look up and have a contact dialing just as fast as on my Treo. Plus I never have to open my email to see if I have any...a summary at a glance on the Today page. Again, see screen shots below.

There are other great utilities that speed things up that don't deal with navigation. For example a great little tool called TapText 1.1 ( LINK HERE ). TapText is a whole new way of inserting text into your notes, e-mail or documents, etc... With only two taps you can add pre-edited text into any application without leaving it or even changing your preferred input method. If you are tired of entering the same text over and over, then this is the best tool for you. Use it to save time when entering your meeting notes, sending e-mails, chatting, writing documents, or even filling forms while browsing the internet. To use TapText, simply tap on its icon on the top bar. This will bring its menu, where you select the text you want to enter to your current active application.

I just found this cool utility. I use the keyboard a lot, but there are times when I like to use the software keyboard....like when I have lot of numbers to included in my text. PDAmill offers Topkey. This is basically skinned software keyboard that offers Self-learning predictive input!!! For example when I first typed the word "stylus" it it did not come up as a predictive input option, but it did the second time I started to type the word because it learned it from the first time I used it!

You can take a look at it and download a demo here:

http://www.pdamill.com/prod_tk.shtml?ref=panel

WORKING IT ALL TOGETHER
    So to launch a program one handed without a stylus that is not mapped to a hardware button, I just hit the Start Menu, hardware button. 5 way nav down two or three spaces and push Enter.

I want to launch a different program...just one single tap on an icon on the Today Screen with iLauncher or Pocket Plus type plugin....a finger works just fine.

Of course, this does not even cover the benefits of VC that can launch any progam with a single spoken word.

I have to be honest and say that with a little understanding of the tools available with both OS and a good phone layout.....the navigation differences in time and easy to launch a program between Palm and WM becomes very small.

If you have any other helpful hints, utilities, ect... that you have found to help make navigation or one handed use easier with your WM device please share them here!

I hope this helps!

SCREENSHOTS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 06/08/2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Updated link
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Your doing a awesome job thanks for the work, i have learned a lot reading your posts so far.
    I don't plan on owning one (at least now on VZW) but find it very interesting to read...thx!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    very nice work, hobbes. seriously. thanks for the all the tips!!!
    I gotta have more cowbell
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys...I just updated with this:

In the same Menu Settings above you can also somewhat customize the New button that lets you easily start a new Appointment, Word Doc, Excel Spreadsheet, Contact, Task, Note, Message, etc..... with only only two taps with your finger.

In order to stream line your Today Page and to clear away all the clutter go to Menu>>Setting>>Personal>>Today>>Items and you can select and uncheck any item to display on your Today Page.
    Hobbes, you are incredible. You should run for President.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Sadly, the new button is gone in WM5 (at least on the 6700 it is).
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I recently discovered that you can open the Task Manager by holding the OK button down for a few seconds, rather than hitting option + ok.

I've been kind of annoyed with the option button in WM5 because it appears that you have to continually hold it down while pressing another button to activate the "Option +" command. On my 600 I could do it with one thumb in sequence; first the option button, then letting go and pressing another button. Is there a workaround for this?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    Hobbes, you are incredible. You should run for President.
    Thanks....I will run only if NRG, DaThomas, and Barye all will vote for me!!!!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 02:53 AM.
    i think the biggest "secret" is being able to hold down the center button on the treo700 to open the option/menu button. as in, i am browsing a contact, click and hold the center button and up pops options like "text message Sally" or "Email Sally." That makes the device SO much easier/faster to use.
    The Treo 700w is my first and so far I love it. However, I can't seem to find a way to change from folder to folder when I am in Outlook to view email messages in those folders without the use of the stylus.

I have activesync setup to sync not just my inbox, but also many sub-folders in my Outlook account on my exchange server, so new messages arrive in more than one folder thereby making it necessary to change from inbox to other folders and back again on the Treo.

Any ideas on this?
    Thank!!
  12.    #12  
    the default Email client....unless changed in WM05....does not support folders in Outlook. This is a major oversight IMHO. Unless there is a new shortcut key or setting in WM05 to help, you do have to use the stylus or your finger to change folders or email accounts on the handheld.
    Hobbes you from Vancouver? I see you have Vancouver Weather up on your pics/home page?
  14.    #14  
    Yup.....Vancouver WA....Portland, OR area.
  15.    #15  
    I added the following to the original post:

There are other great utilities that speed things up that don't deal with navigation. For example a great little tool called TapText 1.1 ( LINK HERE ). TapText is a whole new way of inserting text into your notes, e-mail or documents, etc... With only two taps you can add pre-edited text into any application without leaving it or even changing your preferred input method. If you are tired of entering the same text over and over, then this is the best tool for you. Use it to save time when entering your meeting notes, sending e-mails, chatting, writing documents, or even filling forms while browsing the internet. To use TapText, simply tap on its icon on the top bar. This will bring its menu, where you select the text you want to enter to your current active application.
    Hobbes, great job on this. I still think the Palm OS-based Treos have better one-handed navigation, but I'm sure this info will prove quite useful for people. If nothing else, your comments/experience over the last couple of months have made me think about the PPC-6600 more. I like my Zodiac's large screen for video watching (rarely) and in-car usage MP3/GPS usage, but I like the overall convergence of my Treo 650. The PPC-6600 would seem to offer some of the better features of both and the added hard buttons definitely seem to make for more flexibility and quick access as compared to some of the newer WM5 smartphones (which don't have enough hard buttons, IMO). I'm not a fan of the slide-down (and membrane-style) thumbboard, though. So please remind me (and forgive me for taking this off-topic), but has the PPC-6600 had an official Ev-DO and/or WM5 upgrade?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  17.    #17  
    OFF TOPIC: Nope.....not yet. The phone has the hardware and the VZ version of it has EVDO enabled and working.

Sprint has been dragging their feet. This is my opinion of the situation. I personally think that HTC gave Sprint the update. Sprint then held off until the 6700 had a chance to sell and to see how many of us 6600 owners would add another sale to their bottom line. Then I think around Dec I think they were going to release it, but found some problems of one kind or another with it, be it technical, accounting, etc...

Nothing is confirmed and you still get a different answer each time you ask. So it is still a waiting game.

For me personally, I really want the EVDO speed, but I don't think I want to pay the price with a smaller screen like with the 6700. That said, if my phone broke and it was replaced with a 6700, I wouldn't be complaining THAT much.

EDIT: I just got confirmation today that Sprint will be releasing the EVDO upgrade next month.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/11/2006 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    the default Email client....unless changed in WM05....does not support folders in Outlook. This is a major oversight IMHO. Unless there is a new shortcut key or setting in WM05 to help, you do have to use the stylus or your finger to change folders or email accounts on the handheld.
    I'm using Exchange Active Sync with my 700w, and indeed all the subfolders for my Inbox show up - but alas, as the original poster said, those folders cannot be reached via the nav. At least, not from what I've seen.
    I'm using Exchange Active Sync with my 700w, and indeed all the subfolders for my Inbox show up - but alas, as the original poster said, those folders cannot be reached via the nav. At least, not from what I've seen.
    The small workaround I have done is ensure that you have all your outlook folders expanded during the beginning of the day. Then all you have to do is use your finger to select the folder drop down and then the 5-way nav will allow you to scroll through and select the folder you want. A bit cumbersom, but works okay one handed. If you don't have the folders expanded then you have to select the little plus sign to expand then which is very hard with your finger (too fat

If anyone finds a way to view the folders without the touch screen let us all know.
    Thanks!
  20.    #20  
    I just found this cool utility. I use the keyboard a lot, but there are times when I like to use the software keyboard....like when I have lot of numbers to included in my text. PDAmill offers Topkey. This is basically skinned software keyboard that offers Self-learning predictive input!!! For example when I first typed the word "stylus" it it did not come up as a predictive input option, but it did the second time I started to type the word because it learned it from the first time I used it!

You can take a look at it and download a demo here:

http://www.pdamill.com/prod_tk.shtml?ref=panel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast