1.    #1  
    On my 650, I can pick a playlist, start it, and shut the screen and keyboard by simply hitting the red button. The playlist still plays in RealPlayer and when I put the 650 back in my Krussell belt pouch, the screen and keyboard is off, saving battery power and avoiding any errant data input.

With the 700, it seems that as long as the file is playing, the keyboard is unlocked and the screen, albeit dim, is still active. When I hit the red button, it shuts off Windows Media Player.

Is there a way to shut down Treo's inputs while still letting Windows Media play? Having to hold onto the device as it plays is a silly way to use it.

Help!
    i share your frustration. you can't play with red button pressed as it powers down the unit to standby mode. check your settings, and make sure that power settings for both battery and powered are unchecked for power down, and if you are using bluetooth headset turn it off in settings, as there is a bug with blootooth and backlight on. if you need to use blootooth take the backlight timer off on settings, you should be able to play fine without holding it,
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by larrysilver
    i share your frustration. you can't play with red button pressed as it powers down the unit to standby mode. check your settings, and make sure that power settings for both battery and powered are unchecked for power down, and if you are using bluetooth headset turn it off in settings, as there is a bug with blootooth and backlight on. if you need to use blootooth take the backlight timer off on settings, you should be able to play fine without holding it,
    Don't understand what you mean. Are you saying uncheck the boxes that say turn off device if not used for.........?

If so, what does that do me? When windows media plays, the device is being used and so nothing shuts down....the only thing that happens is that the backlight goes out, the keyboard lights shut down and a slight touch to a button or the screen can set things off.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Anyone solve this problem yet? This was one of the primary reasons I returned my 700w and returned to the 650. If this would be fixed I may go back because I did enjoy EVDO.

So to Clarify, how do you enable keygaurd, while you are still listening to media player? I tried the options mentioned but it only dims the screen after a specified amount of time, and does not enable keygaurd.
    Last edited by mmereos; 01/15/2006 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Trying to be more specific
    I think there are two approaches, neither of which is perfect:

1) I have backlight set to turn off after 10 seconds (Start | Settings | Backlight) and power set to turn off after 1 minute (Start | Settings | Power). As a result, when a song is playing in WMP, the screen backlight wwill dim after 10 seconds and turn off completely after 1 minute (I can still see faintly see the screen if there is ambient light, but at least the backlight is off completely, thus not wasting any power). This is how I have it set now. The downsides are three fold: all keys are still responsive and will turn the backlight right back on; there is no way to shorten either the 10 second or 1 minute settings (those are the shortest ones available), and it's annoying to have to wait for the screen to power down (with PocketTunes, I could simply press power and immediately done). Not as awesome as Ptunes' implementation, but good enough.

2) There seems to be a setting in WMP (Options | Buttons) to "Toggle Screen" by assigning a key to do so. This would be very useful, if it worked correctly. However, when I did this, the screen would turn off immediately, which was good, but the backlight to the keyboard would stay on, not only that it would stay on INDEFINITELY. Clearly this makes this option unusable and is clearly a bug on the part of MS and/or Palm.
    Yep, MS/Palm screwed up on this one since the keyboard light doesn't stay on with other WM devices. The "screen-off only" function does the same thing with other players as well. How soon do you think someone will discover the hack to resolve this one? Seems it would be an easy find.
    First let me clarify the difference between the RED button and the Screen Lock. When you press the RED button you are turning off the screen, keyboard, etc. The screen lock software kicks in depending on your settings in control panel. i.e lock the screen after device turns off.

You can lock your device without turning it off. You do that by pressing Option + RED button. Now this is where palm screwed up, when you lock your device it will also turn it off after a few seconds.

So the two functions are different but in the end they have the same result. I have tried searching through the registry to see if there is something to change but no luck.

I also own the Samsung I730 and when I turn off the device it pauses Windows media player but when I lock the device windows media player keeps playing and the screen shuts off according to the power settings in the control panel. This is the way the treo device lock should work but it dosent.
    Has anyone found a better solution for this problem yet such as a third party screen and keyguard that doesn't power down the device?