Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good day to you. You seem to have a real problem with what you refer to as "low memory." What programs is it that you own that require more memory than the phone has? Are you using Goodlink or something of the sort? Or is it that you have an abundance of programs? I used to own both the 600 and the 650 (both with Goodlink) and was concerned with the amount of remaining memory. I personally am not into the add-ons, I just use my phone for email (hundreds per day, easily) and phone use. I currently own and use a PPC6601 that I've grown tired using (simply too big for my pockets and too heavy, all else works for me, i love the WM03 os). Anyhow, just curious to know why you have such a concern with the "low memory."

thoughts?
    You need to remember that the WM5 offers true multitasking. That's a double-edged sword. So when you use some strange app one time quickly in the morning, it may still be running and consuming resources at the end of the day.

My PPC-6700 felt sluggish to me, though I don't know how much if any of that had to do with memory. Most 700w owners seem to be reporting good performance, despite the system reporting just a few megabytes remaining in some cases, so perhaps Palm or MS (with a newer WM5 build) did some magical things here. I think we'll need for more reports from 700w owners to know whether or not the 700w's runtime memory is sufficient.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I should probably clarify I mean program memory, not the storage. I am concerned because unless you keep the default programs only, how can you use much of anything else? I have a device with the same low RAM and the memory screen is nearly the same as the photos I saw of the 700w. The default programs run in the background even when I'm not using them, I have to remember to shut them down manually. Are the new programs going to run in the background eating up RAM also? When several things are running, the remaining RAM is under 10 on my device. I'm getting a higher RAM device because of this and will probably use the other one as a back-up only.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    You need to remember that the WM5 offers true multitasking. That's a double-edged sword. So when you use some strange app one time quickly in the morning, it may still be running and consuming resources at the end of the day.

My PPC-6700 felt sluggish to me, though I don't know how much if any of that had to do with memory. Most 700w owners seem to be reporting good performance, despite the system reporting just a few megabytes remaining in some cases, so perhaps Palm or MS (with a newer WM5 build) did some magical things here. I think we'll need for more reports from 700w owners to know whether or not the 700w's runtime memory is sufficient.

I am waiting to see what people say after they have added programs and try using more than one at a time. This will tell me if low RAM matters or not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Are you guys forgetting that the programs on these devices run in place? Therefore very little memory is needed to keep the program running. So most files can also be read in place no need to load to RAM so that they can be accessed. The only time that it would have to use up extra memory to open a file is if you are listening to an mp3 or opening a jpg, these type of files need to be decoded in order to be played. So with that said a program would need very little memory to hold its variables etc. At least this is how I understand it.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I think some folks miss the point that the OS is designed in a way that "it" tells the apps when to close. So you can have several apps open, and it doesn't really matter that they are open. When the OS needs more memory (ie, you open another app, an app already open needs a big chunk of memory, etc.) it sends a message to all the other apps that are open to try to shut down.

When a device has a lot of memory, this is nice because you can run your GPS app, media player, email app, web browser, etc. all at the same time.

When a device has a low amount of memory it becomes a problem because you may only be able to multitask with a few apps. So you may be listening to some MP3's, open your browser to look at something, and all of a sudden the OS is telling your MP3 player to shut down because it needs the memory for the browser.

On a different note, it makes the folks who are so scared about having apps running in the background silly because the OS will tell those apps when to quit, you don't really need to.. Unless of course your phone only has a total of 10MB free and you know you only want a couple heavy apps open.

I know on the PPC 6700 (which I have) there is an extended rom partition that contains apps that sprint loads when the phone does a hard reset. There is a way to stop the phone from loading these which frees up some memory.

Has anyone done a hard reset on the Treo 700w yet? When you do, does the phone load a bunch of 3rd party CAB files? Has anyone loaded Total Commander and looked at the extended rom yet to see what's there?
    Is that the default programs or added ones also? It's the ADDED ones I'm thinking of. We could use the devcie with no additional software but we all know that everyone will probably add something. I would like to add about 5 additional programs. All I want to know is what will happen with the low RAM.

I have already seen people complain that WM5 devices sometimes need to be reset often(including the one I have, although I never had to reset) and I wonder if sometimes the machine quit responding due to RAM problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Is that the default programs or added ones also? It's the ADDED ones I'm thinking of. We could use the devcie with no additional software but we all know that everyone will probably add something. I would like to add about 5 additional programs. All I want to know is what will happen with the low RAM.

I have already seen people complain that WM5 devices sometimes need to be reset often(including the one I have, although I never had to reset) and I wonder if sometimes the machine quit responding due to RAM problems.
    I have an i730 now and I do a soft reset every morning like clockwork. Afterall it is windows and windows machines, even XP, need to be rebooted at times. Basically every day to keep it running smoothly. This is not unix or a mac folks. Reset it once a day, it does not take long and you should not have to worry about memory or other issues throughout the day.

--JD
    Is that what I have to resort to?
    How about just once a week?
    I never had to reset the 650 once a day.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Well, on the other side of the fence.. i have an i730 as well and never ever have to soft reset. I do keep my internet cache empty and im sure that helps a lot.

Soft reseting also cleans out your internet cache so it has the same effect of me doing it manually.
  11.    #11  
    i suppose i don't understand. on WM03, if you're finished with the program that you are using you simply press the "ok" button. even if you didn't (Lady Treo) what programs are you using that you are so afraid that you will run out of "ram?" these are handheld pda's, not office replacement workstations.

i suppose i simply don't understand the "low ram" fear. are you running multi-gigabyte excel files in pivot table format while listening or watching some movie, while browsing the internet, while sending a 1mb email with attachments while playing java script games?

stop the drama!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Is that what I have to resort to?
    How about just once a week?
    I never had to reset the 650 once a day.
    650 is POS not windows. You don't have to resort to anything but it only takes a minute out of 24 hours to not have to worry about anything messing up when you least expect it or when you are in the middle of something important.
    I am a network engineer who came up from desktop support and it used to **** me off when users would complain about the laptops or desktops running really bad and slow and when I asked them when was the last time they rebooted, they looked at me like "what's that"?
    This is windows, you have to do it. It's not hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Well, on the other side of the fence.. i have an i730 as well and never ever have to soft reset. I do keep my internet cache empty and im sure that helps a lot.

Soft reseting also cleans out your internet cache so it has the same effect of me doing it manually.
    Well I did not as often at first, but things started happening. Like the phone would not ring and everthing would just go to voicemail. No alarms either. Along with other wierd things. So I just poke the little hole to reset every morning when I get out of bed, hop in the shower and I have a fresh phone for the day.....No problems since.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    LOL.. i agree with mrjayd on having to reboot Window everyday. We have a CCNE at work who refuses to reboot and then wonders why his PC is unstable.

...But in my experiance you should not have to soft reset your Windows Mobile device at all.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    1. You cannot compare the i730 to the Treo 700w. The i730 has much more available RAM. 64MB vs. 32MB.There is no comparison.

2. After a hard reset and clean install people are reporting 14 MB of free memory. This is not enough to run Windows Mobile without sluggishness. Why do you think Pocket PC Tech offer the 64 to 128 MB RAM upgrade? Because many people feel that even 64 MB is not enough.

3. To test what we are saying install a trial of Pocket Informant and the latest version of TCPMP. Load them up and see how you menu response time is. Make calls with your phone and then use resco explorer to navigate your file system. Open Internet explorer and load a web page while checking appointments in Pocket Informant. Load Pocket Plus and see how it performs. Load some today plugins and test usability.

4. For me a phone needs to be a phone first and I cannot miss calls because the phone has "crashed" or reset.

Please do the tests and report back.

-DTG
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    LOL.. i agree with mrjayd on having to reboot Window everyday. We have a CCNE at work who refuses to reboot and then wonders why his PC is unstable.

...But in my experiance you should not have to soft reset your Windows Mobile device at all.
    That's a bold statement "at all". Why do you say that? Pretty much everything needs to be reset at some point. Some more than others.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjayd
    That's a bold statement "at all". Why do you say that? Pretty much everything needs to be reset at some point. Some more than others.
    Ok.. perhaps too bold to say "at all". I digress

Especially after you start loading third party apps...I've had to do some hard resets because of bad third party apps.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    1. You cannot compare the i730 to the Treo 700w. The i730 has much more available RAM. 64MB vs. 32MB.There is no comparison.
    Remeber.. the i730 being WM2003 shares that 64MB between storage AND memory. I often ran out of storage space trying to DL an MP3 through PIE.

I know I could of done the registry hack to move PIE cahce to an SD card but I was never comfortable doing that particular hack.

On the i730 it was not uncommon for me to run out of memory because of not only the portion of memory being used for actual memory but also the portion of memory being used for storage space.

I dont like storing my critical apps on an SD card so that compounded the problem... and huge email inboxes did as well.

But things work entirely different now with WM5...

Will let you know how it goes with the 700w.
  19.    #19  
    why is it that the only people that complain are those who live their lives downloading 3rd party apps and the like? again, what is it that you are "running" that NEEDS to be run, concurrently? why the need for so many of these apps? doesn't WM03/WM05 offer you enough? i just don't understand why some users are able to "slow down" their handhelds, it seems as though they're trying to use them for what they're not designed to be. i have never had any problems in the countless years of owning blackberries, treos, pocket pc's and the like. the only problems i ever read about are those stemming from 3rd party apps and the like. you browse the internet, ck your email, maybe download a pdf, and make phone calls. that's what you really do more times than not.

again, what is it that everyone is doing that supposedly causes their handhelds to slow down? how is it that Lady Treo drains her memory so?
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i suppose i don't understand. on WM03, if you're finished with the program that you are using you simply press the "ok" button. even if you didn't (Lady Treo) what programs are you using that you are so afraid that you will run out of "ram?" these are handheld pda's, not office replacement workstations.

i suppose i simply don't understand the "low ram" fear. are you running multi-gigabyte excel files in pivot table format while listening or watching some movie, while browsing the internet, while sending a 1mb email with attachments while playing java script games?

stop the drama!!
    Actually I don't have WM2003, but the cheapest WM5 device you can get. I got it because I wanted to see if WM5 was OK to use before I spent really big money on other devices I was eyeing. Turns out, I like it and will probably keep it. But I wish they would put out a 64MB version. I have only used the default programs. It's added programs running I'm worried about.

As for drama, should I wait till my machine crashes due to low memory, so you can see REAL drama? Which is what I'd like to AVOID. Well on the 64MB device, I probably won't worry so much. But here's some of what I want to install on the lower RAM device:

1. Spb Pocket Plus 3.0 AND/OR Battery Pack Pro v2.1
    2. Resco Explorer 2005 for Pocket PC
    3. WorldMate 2006 Professional Edition for Pocket PC(I may find something lighter for the lower RAM device though)
    4. SBSH PocketBreeze 5
    5. IM+ ICQ/AOL/MSN/Yahoo!/Jabber/Google Talk Mobile Instant Messenger for Pocket PC(this is a maybe)
    6. A back up program, which I can't seem to really find one for WM5 yet.
    7. I may have to install an extra email progam(not sure yet) to get email from anyone other than MSN and Hotmail.
    8. Stuff I won't realize I need until the opportunity arises.

I will probably run a lot off the card, but they would still use up RAM while running, right? Plus I need to use internet for some of these, which means more RAM. And I will forget to shut them down one of these days, I know it. I hope you're correct that the machine will tell me to shut them down.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast