Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    64MB is the usual standard. Please quit trying to downplay it! When you pay over $400 for a device, it needs to meet at least the accepted standard! Now the device I have was only $263 so I really shouldn't complain too much. But the next one will be about $400-$500 and it WILL have 64, just as most devices in that price range(EXCEPT the 700w) do! Just because many don't know what the standard should be doesn't mean they should be shortchanged, especially for that much money!

By the way, my device is supposed to have constant reset problems and I bet you it's the low memory and people aren't realizing it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #82  
    not going to debate with you guys....most of the people/corp users who use these devices (corporate world of which i am one, receiving emails/bloombergs that can count into the hundreds/thousand) use them for email and phone only. then there are the few who actually might maintain a calendar and address book. i can't tell you how many "non-biz" people i see using these devices, those people could easily get away with one of those sidekick jobbies. anyhow, for the majority, the devices work. look at blackberries: their corp users don't use 3rd party apps, they just use the devices to read their emails. the treos work out of the box, it's as simple as that.

does Palm not have the best interest of its customers at heart? maybe, maybe not, but their phones work.
    Email and phone only do indeed=Blackberry. Devices that have Pocket Office or Documents to Go, WMP or RP, calenders, task managers, etc. should tell you the device is meant for more than just email and phone. You probably are better off with BB because perhaps you bought more than you needed with the PPC6601(or was it the VX6600).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    look at blackberries: their corp users don't use 3rd party apps, they just use the devices to read their emails. the treos work out of the box, it's as simple as that.

does Palm not have the best interest of its customers at heart? maybe, maybe not, but their phones work.
    There is no doubt that the phones work.......But with only half of the memory of every other phone in it's class and in it's price range.

It is about getting at the least the minimun industry standards for your money, IMHO.

Those who buy BB and expect to use GPS, office suites, play movies, and use it as an MP3 player would have stupid as these devices don't even pretend to do that. While WM devices not only pretend to do them, they have been doing them for years now.

It would be like buying a BMW today with a 3 cyn engine and no fuel injection. Sure it will work and get you where you want to go, but is up to the standards of the the other cars in it's class and price range? Would you expect at least the industry standard engine from a company like BMW?
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Email and phone only do indeed=Blackberry. Devices that have Pocket Office or Documents to Go, WMP or RP, calenders, task managers, etc. should tell you the device is meant for more than just email and phone. You probably are better off with BB because perhaps you bought more than you needed with the PPC6601(or was it the VX6600).
    you are wrong. blackberry 8730's have a new web browser and resolution bettering the new treo 700. the treo's do have pocket office and/or docs to go and wmp or rp, calendars, task manager, etc, and yes, you are right! they ARE MEANT FOR MORE THAN JUST EMAIL AND PHONE, i don't think anyone will disagree with you on that silly point. and guess what Lady Treo, those devices such as the Treo 650 or Treo 700 WORK AS THEY SHOULD right out of the box for the "majority of the population that purchase them." I'm not here (and never have argued the treo or blackberry devices, simply have said what works for me and what doesn't) as an advocate for one or the other. What I am saying and I will repeat myself again is that for the majority of the users these devices work for them. You, by virtue of participating on this Forum makes you an "enthusiast" or perhaps a "power user," and for you the devices may not work to your liking, out of the box. As for the 6601, I purchased it because I personally don't like the Palm 0S and wanted a Verizon issued device. i owned the i730 and did not care for that either, but I did want WM and that's how I ended up with mine. I needed a qwerty keyboard to respond to the countless emails/bloombergs that I receive...I wanted a larger screen....I don't think I need to "justify" my purchase/choice of phones to anyone, especially you. Like you said, you don't own one of these devices because they're not for you. That doesn't mean that they don't work for everyone else.

regards
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Those who buy BB and expect to use GPS, office suites, play movies, and use it as an MP3 player would have stupid as these devices don't even pretend to do that. While WM devices not only pretend to do them, they have been doing them for years now.
    who could argue that? i don't think anyone that buys a BB intends on installing GPS or even use it as an MP3 player. most individuals don't even purchase BB's but are "offered them" via their employer. the other biz professionals are usually smart enough to do the research to determine what their devices can do and can't do. exactly my point: WM devices have been doing them for years AND PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THEM, with a LACK of RAM or ABUNDANCE of it! BINGO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It would be like buying a BMW today with a 3 cyn engine and no fuel injection. Sure it will work and get you where you want to go, but is up to the standards of the the other cars in it's class and price range? Would you expect at least the industry standard engine from a company like BMW?
    for one, Palm is the furthest away from being likened to a BMW, it's far, far away from such comparisons. what palm offers is what i've grown to accept: mediocrity. but if the company can get away with offering LESS for more $ or the same $ as some comparable, and the MARKET STANDS IN LINE for this stuff, then they're smarter than you and all of the rest of us put together. or the pda/handheld market doesn't have enough real competition.

have you looked at Palm's stock performance as of late?

'nuff said.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I actually agree with you both but there are some important distictions:

oalvarez: The 700w comes with 32MB because it will be enough for most people to work.

I agree with this statement. However, as was stated, the phone won't necessarily work well and it won't last through to the next OS upgrade for WM6. And nobody wants to have to pay for a new phone when everyone else is able to just perform a software upgrade. Thus Palm will hook enough customers and only 50% of them will realize they have been hoodwinked later.

I agree with oalvarez that the phone will work but I think he shortchanges the problem in a way that Hobbes has picked up on although his analogy is a bit off. Palm has created a phone that is able to do just enough to keep the 700w happy initially and well beyond the point of returning the phone. But with a little playing around, the purchaser will realize just how slow the 4 cylinder engine is and wonder why the phone doesn't have the power expected to accelerate reasonably quickly. And there are reports that switching programs seems to be languid at 32MB RAM since you can't have many simultaneously running applications.

A better analogy and understanding is that Windows XP will work in a PC with 256 MB of RAM. Many just want to use word processing or email. Yes, it will work once the application is up and running. But after a short period of time even the basic user will begin to realize how much time it takes to start up these applications or to switch. Many might even feel a little courage and put in another application or want to launch a word attachment from an email they are reading. And then the frustration will mount and it will feel like hell.

The moral of the story: Palm is interested in selling you disposable garbage that is just barely above the minimum requirements for you to get the task done but not enough to make it a solid, longer term investment. For a reasonable number they won't notice. But there will be a considerable number that will be furious to find out that there is nothing they can do while other phone owners will not feel the need to upgrade.

Personally, I think this was a short term profit motive but a long term mistake. Palm should be establishing a great name in the market with its first flagship product, not continuing a tradition that has infuriated Palm users.

Here's the bigger question. Will the other devices produced ALSO have only 32MB of RAM? If these slowdowns continue and they tax the 700w, Palm will suffer from significantly bad press and moreso from bad experiences by consumers and corporate departments that already have seen enough.
    Thanks Slinky.....you said exactly what I was thinking....but a WHOLE lot better!!!!!!!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    you are wrong. blackberry 8730's have a new web browser and resolution bettering the new treo 700. the treo's do have pocket office and/or docs to go and wmp or rp, calendars, task manager, etc, and yes, you are right! they ARE MEANT FOR MORE THAN JUST EMAIL AND PHONE, i don't think anyone will disagree with you on that silly point. and guess what Lady Treo, those devices such as the Treo 650 or Treo 700 WORK AS THEY SHOULD right out of the box for the "majority of the population that purchase them." I'm not here (and never have argued the treo or blackberry devices, simply have said what works for me and what doesn't) as an advocate for one or the other. What I am saying and I will repeat myself again is that for the majority of the users these devices work for them. You, by virtue of participating on this Forum makes you an "enthusiast" or perhaps a "power user," and for you the devices may not work to your liking, out of the box. As for the 6601, I purchased it because I personally don't like the Palm 0S and wanted a Verizon issued device. i owned the i730 and did not care for that either, but I did want WM and that's how I ended up with mine. I needed a qwerty keyboard to respond to the countless emails/bloombergs that I receive...I wanted a larger screen....I don't think I need to "justify" my purchase/choice of phones to anyone, especially you. Like you said, you don't own one of these devices because they're not for you. That doesn't mean that they don't work for everyone else.

regards
    They probably do work out of the box if you don't add anything to them. My 650 never had a reset, I never added any software. Although others have said that is definitely NOT the case for them. That's up for debate about the 650.

I did look at the new 8700c last year. It's the best BB yet for sure. It's good if all you need is phone, email and some web browsing. To all who like BB, that seems to be a very good device.

I never said you had to justify your purchase. All I meant was the device you have offers so much more than what you said you and "most people"(although that too is up for debate) basically needed.

True I don't own the 6601, but I did look at the SX66(the GSM version) and might have gotten one had Cingular not kept selling out then refusing to carry them in stores. I never said the 6601 wouldn't work for me. Although broken sliding mechanism on 2 displays bothered me.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/10/2006 at 03:33 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345