Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I do agree with Lady Treo on the lack of RAM. Even with a task manager program RAM does not fully come back until you soft reset. I will keep my Treo in hopes of a RAM upgrade. I have a nice MAC powerbook but my pdaphone is my daily driver.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Let's start off with your myth about the screen.

>??i don't have a myth about the screen, i said how could anyone rightfully watch a movie on a 240x240...that is what i said

That's basically what a PDA is these days and has been now for a while -- something less than your laptop that still provides you with enough power for more complex, simple tasks.

>>that's right, it's less than a laptop. what some cannot accept is how much less than laptops these little things really are. matter of fact, they're not even close "statistically." do they allow for some of the same functionality? absolutely, but i personally could never effectively use any of my desktop based excel worksheets on my handheld (ppc6601).

Nit pick? Perhaps your not using your 600 or 650 very much or in a while has made you forget just how critically important sufficient RAM is for the smooth operation of your device and flexibility of third party applications. What you fail to appreciate is that Palm stupidly designed the 650 without sufficient RAM and less than what current models have or should have. Those of us who use the 650 have had to deal with this garbage every day and buy third party apps to deal with it too. Then Palm pulled the same shtick again by underequipping the 700w with less RAM than current models have!!! Do you think that all the other manufacturers just dumped in an abundance of RAM for their health?

>>i don't disagree. what i'm after here is that most all of these devices suffice for the general public, they work just fine in most all cases/instances. MOST people need their handheld to get them by while out of the office (phone, email, news, view pdf/files) and that's it. the memory problems start occuring when installing 3rd party apps and the like. so again, for me, most all of these devices get me by until i am back in the office behind my desktop or laptop if traveling. i suppose i don't understand the bickering about memory when "MOST" users have no need for anything more than the phones come with. there are a lot of happy users out there.

Nobody said the 700w isn't usable, just cripped and unlike the standards set by virtually every other Windows based PDA from what I'm reading. What we did say is that you have to have rocks in your head to pay top dollar for a device that is designed for what was on the market 1 year ago.

>>that is not true. the treo 700w is for individuals who prefer the windows operating system over palm's, it's as simple as that. again, most people need nothing more than most all of these devices offer out of the box. could it have been designed differently? sure. are they selling out of them at all of the stores? yep. will i buy one? probably not. do i hate my 6601? yep.
    thanks for your thoughts though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    I do agree with Lady Treo on the lack of RAM. Even with a task manager program RAM does not fully come back until you soft reset. I will keep my Treo in hopes of a RAM upgrade. I have a nice MAC powerbook but my pdaphone is my daily driver.
    Unfortunately, this is a problem with all Windows Mobile devices - memory leakage. Even if you close all the apps after using them, all memory is not released back to the total memory pool. It's a combination of OS and not properly written apps. I have both a Windows Mobile 3 device (Samsung I730) and a Windows Mobile 5 device (HTC Universal). In the morning, both devices have about 23MB of free program memory available. After a 12 hour day and even though there are no apps running, it's down to about 13MB on both devices - a 10MB loss for no real reason. Since I had a decent amount of memory to begin with, this doesn't affect me and I work fine with 13MB. I always reset my devices before going to bed and I never had a problem - I get through teh day fine.

But if you only have 14MB free program memory to begin with, then a 10MB loss is significant. A while back, I owned the Motorola MPX, a Windows Mobile 3 device flip-phone (think Kyocera 7130) that could also transform into landscape, like a mini laptop. It also only had 32MB of memory - 10MB free to start with. It was a great idea and the hardware was slick, but the memory problem made this phone a disaster. It took forever to come to market and it failed miserably, mainly due to the lack of memory. You couldn't browse more than 10 pages in Pocket IE without needing to reset. Memory leaks made you reset the phone 5 times a day. After seeing firsthand what 32MB or memory is going to do to a PocketPC device, I am shocked Palm went ahead with 32MB anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    After seeing firsthand what 32MB or memory is going to do to a PocketPC device, I am shocked Palm went ahead with 32MB anyway.
    This is typical Palm. They always shortchange customers with memory. In the past, we went with 3rd party upgrades but I'm hesitant to do this with my phone. Too often I need VZW to swap it out during the warranty period (one year).

I really like this 700w and don't think I want to give up my one-handed no-stylus Smartphone. Sprint should trump VZW by offering a 750w with sufficient memory when they can. I'd consider paying the ETF to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    some of your needs are beyond mine, simple as that.

i730? no thanks, hate the small screen and slide-out. owned it.

treo? been there and done that, with the exception of the t700. i do like the form factor though. it's a real contender in my eyes as i don't have incredibly massive ram needs as some of you uber power users. it's not about ram for me, it's about pocketability, battery life and ease of use.

6700? oh no, not another slide-out, turn-around handheld...please no.

ppc 6601...own it and use it currently....want another one? i'd be happy to sell it to you. a pda that can't even handle 4 hours of use without a charge on its oem battery? not for me.

i actually have my eyes set on the latest blacberry devices, those devices seem to do what it is what i'm looking for (less weight, smaller size, best email given that we're now running their servers, decent internet and the like). i can wait until i'm back in front of a laptop or desktop, i don't need to spend the additional time and money on handhelds to make my life that much more easy, i suppose i'm fortunate in that instance.

enjoy your devices!
    Sounds like it will be perfect for you. I have loads of co-workers who are very happy with some of the latest BB devices! As I always say, there is no perfect phone for everyone, but there is a perfect phone for everyone. In other words, if you do your research and choose the phone that best suites the needs and the wants for you, then no matter what phone you get, you will be happy!

You enjoy your new BB, they are great too!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/08/2006 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Thanks again! What tools does PP have that are better than BPP?

What Pocket Plus has that Battery Pack Pro does not ( LINK HERE ):

"Alt-Tab"-Style Task Switching:Pocket PC devices are becoming more and more keyboard oriented and a good task switching utility is vital for comfortable operation with a keyboard. A new feature of Spb Pocket Plus 3.0 is that now you can assign the [Switch Programs (Alt-Tab)] command to a hardware button.

Just press the assigned hardware button several times to select an application you need. After you select it the application will open automatically.

Pocket Internet Explorer:Multiple windows, full screen mode, save as, view source, ... Spb Pocket Plus adds an additional tool button to the Pocket Internet Explorer taskbar. This button opens a menu that adds commands to open several windows, switch between them, view the source of the currently open document, save the current document in a separate file and work in full screen mode.

A new feature of Spb Pocket Plus 3.0 is opening a new window in background. This is especially useful on a slow GPRS connection and allows you to continue reading the current page while the new page is loading in background.

Buttons:Alt-Tab, backlight change using a button, keyboard navigation in the Today plug-in, ... After installing Spb Pocket Plus 3.0 you will find additional commands that you can assign to hardware buttons in the Start->Settings->Personal->Buttons applet.

Here are few examples of additional commands provided by Spb Pocket Plus:

Switch Programs (Alt-Tab)
    Backlight Loop
    New Task, New Appointment, etc
    Close Button Context Menu (task manager)

Safe Mode:Loading the device in safe mode to prevent it from hard-reset in case of any problems. If you install a third-party Today plug-in or a program that runs in the background and this plug-in or program has a bug you may have problems starting your device. Here, the only choice for you would be to completely hard-reset your device and lose all data. Unfortunately, this is not a rare problem. Spb Pocket PC Survey shows that 44% of respondents indicated that they have had such problems and had to hard-reset their Pocket PC.

When you boot your Pocket PC in safe mode the system does not load Today plug-ins, autorun applications or services. So you will be able to uninstall the bad application and reboot your device in normal mode.

File Encryption in File Explorer
    Spb Pocket Plus extends the standard File Explorer by adding the following features:

"Folder Up" button
    File properties
    ZIP support
    Storage card formatting

Spb Pocket Plus 3.0 also adds file encryption to the standard functionality. Now you can tap-and-hold on a file and choose to encrypt it. Spb Pocket Plus uses strong AES algorithm for encryption. Now you can store important files in an encrypted form.

What Battery Pack Pro has that Pocket Plus does not ( LINK HERE ):

Power ButtonsLaunch 2 programs from each button on your Pocket PC. Tap to launch one, and tap & hold to launch the second one.

Open settings applets, documents, or perform "special" functions like soft reset the device.

Power Graph Keep a track on your battery, memory & network usage with graphs which show your usage over the past 24 hour period.

Power Clean Reclaim valuable space by removing unwanted files automatically.

Power Light Don't fumble with the keys in the dark - turn your Pocket PC screen into a flashlight, or a warning light for emergencies!
    Here is an app that I have never tried but might help resolving some of the 700w memory concerns:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...51&postcount=5
    The link is dead
    Maybe she meant the link to the app. For some reason when you add "www" to freewareppc.com, it doesn't work.
    I found the actual site also, but I don't know if WM5 is compatible. Looks like the developer hasn't made a new version since 2002.

http://mypaq.net/mobilesoft/wimr/
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    There's some other things BPP has too, that I'm not sure SBP has. But many functions overlap which is why I didn't want to get both. SBP may be a little more functional(safe mode and encryption are good) for me if I can find other apps to replace the power time and power clean on BPP.

http://www.omegaone.com/batterypack/pro/default.htm
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Maybe she meant the link to the app. For some reason when you add "www" to freewareppc.com, it doesn't work.
    Yes. That is what I meant.
    today I simply browsed to the hofo 700w forum and my treo was dragging! I checked and had only 1 MEG FREE!! Yikes that is scary. I absolutely love this phone...the low RAM is the only problem
    Maybe she meant the link to the app.
    Oh....dang trunking of addresses!!! I just copy and pasted. Here is the actual address:

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities...myramarm.shtml
    Now the "www" works, I don't get it. Earlier it would not go through with the "www" in the address.

Long Answer: It was because I copied and pasted the post with the address in it from another poster on another forum. The software managing the forum put those "....." in the middle of the address because it thought it was too long. I copied the text with the "....." in the address and not the actual link. I went back to the original post and copied the shortcut LINK, not the text representing the link and updated it on the WM App post.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Reading the posts at pdaphonehome, it appears that they too are having memory issues. One very knowledgeable poster said that 64MB was a standard set by Microsoft for WM5 and I wouldn't doubt it. Several other posters said that with WM5 memory leaks and the need to open and close applications regularly with such small program RAM, the device freezes up to quit the applications far too frequently. I can't vouch for this but I can't say that I'm surprised since that would make sense.

The 32MB of RAM is a slap in the face to consumers by a group that thinks we don't know better and is deliberately trying to pad their pockets with the extra cash while you pay for it later. They did it once with the 650 and it is amazing that this group had the gazongas to try this shtick again. But what is really bad is that none of the so called "geniuses" who write these technology columns even made mention about it. Many of them just parrot words of technology geeks they interview and pass themselves off as experts...
  18.    #78  
    Slinky, quick answer:

because the device works/memory suffices for the majority (if not much greater) of the consumers who purchase them.

regards
    Slinky, quick answer:

because the device works/memory suffices for the majority (if not much greater) of the consumers who purchase them.

regards
    Not if they are going to try to take over the corporate world. You'll get a bunch of email-heavy corporate types who have no clue about managing memory or closing applications turning to their internal tech support in frustration. The corporate tech support will then turn on Palm and go back to RIM or Good.

That's a doomsday scenario that I hope doesn't happen, but I'm hardly a power user and I've run my program memory really, really low.
    Slinky, quick answer:

regards
    But Palm is only offer 1/2 of the available RAM that nearly every other WM device has been offering for over a year now. That does not seem to have the customers best interest at heart.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast