1.    #1  
    To start things off I would like to say that the 700w is a beautiful and very nice addition to the Treo lineup.

1) My first complaint was that the 700w does not have the easy access thumb buttons while in the call screen. I use these on a daily basis rather than the hard keys.

2) Another feature I was hoping for with WM5 was the ability to dial a phone number that was in a note or task directly from those applications. I guess it's not really a big issue since I can't do this with my 650 but none the less it is still a feature I would've liked to have seen integrated.

3) Bluetooth. From my very short tests, the bluetooth on the 700w has the same weak anemic signal. Very disappointing.

4) The camera on the 700w also disappoints me a little. Even though it has a higher resolution, it seems to be less clear on the actual screen. It seems to have much less color saturation in it. It is also very jerky when panning around whereas the 650's camera is very smooth when panning. Again I'm sure this sounds nit-picky, but looking at the price of the 700w I think I have every right to be picky.

5) I was also looking for a feature in the contacts that hasn't been available since the 600. I want to be able to sort my contacts "First Name, Last Name" instead of Last Name, First Name or Company, Last Name. I know that there are ways around this, but it would just be nice if it were already an option rather than having to cheat the system and lose some of the contact search functionality.

These are my two-cents just from a short testing/playing session with the new 700w. Again I would like to state that I am not bashing the 700w by any means, I was just hoping for a few options that didn't materialize.
    As for camera, people forget that lens quality is often the limiting facor. A lens the size of a raisin isn't going to be that great no matter the pixel resolution. And are you looking at the photos on the 240X240 screen or looking at them full res on a computer monitor? Because the Treo 650s 320X320 may well look better even with the lower native resolution. But on the computer (and printed out) the 700 should be better.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k2bum
    To start things off I would like to say that the 700w is a beautiful and very nice addition to the Treo lineup.

1) My first complaint was that the 700w does not have the easy access thumb buttons while in the call screen. I use these on a daily basis rather than the hard keys.

2) Another feature I was hoping for with WM5 was the ability to dial a phone number that was in a note or task directly from those applications. I guess it's not really a big issue since I can't do this with my 650 but none the less it is still a feature I would've liked to have seen integrated.

3) Bluetooth. From my very short tests, the bluetooth on the 700w has the same weak anemic signal. Very disappointing.

4) The camera on the 700w also disappoints me a little. Even though it has a higher resolution, it seems to be less clear on the actual screen. It seems to have much less color saturation in it. It is also very jerky when panning around whereas the 650's camera is very smooth when panning. Again I'm sure this sounds nit-picky, but looking at the price of the 700w I think I have every right to be picky.

5) I was also looking for a feature in the contacts that hasn't been available since the 600. I want to be able to sort my contacts "First Name, Last Name" instead of Last Name, First Name or Company, Last Name. I know that there are ways around this, but it would just be nice if it were already an option rather than having to cheat the system and lose some of the contact search functionality.

These are my two-cents just from a short testing/playing session with the new 700w. Again I would like to state that I am not bashing the 700w by any means, I was just hoping for a few options that didn't materialize.
    I think the difference you see in the camera is the screen resolution on the device itself.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"

On the 650 the program takephone can do number 2 for you.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I tried the 700w this evening. the only big deal I would make is the ev-do. it's very fast. so web browsing on the new 700w will be significantly better than on the 650. the google search on the menu is also very nice. the today screen is interesting. I like how the many different ways you can dial a contact. the camera is a bit better...

but.... that's it.

I disagree with a couple of points michael ducker made in his review of the phone. the 700w doesn't look any more professional than the 650 does. a black colored model with a more angular appearance is certainly a different look, but not one that screams "im more for the professional than the 650"
    in addition, the keyboard feels EXACTLY the same as that on the 650. same tactile response. no easier or more difficult to type with.
    thirdly, I do NOT like the way all apps are buried within menu schemes. it feels very convoluted and clumsy during navigation.
    the 700w badly misses the simplistic beauty of palm based treos - the main menu displaying all your applications in however manner you'd like to categorize them. ie placed under categories like: system, utilities, games, etc.

maybe I missed such a menu, if so then I'm wrong. but what I saw looked convoluted - didn't go for it at all.

simply a few minutes of usage made me miss the ease of use on my 650. one-handed navigation is SOO much smoother!!! what a relief it was to put down the 700 and go back to the 650... REALLY.

the screen is .... meh... alright. but there is a clear difference when comparing it with the 650.

anyways, if ya like windows and you're looking for speed with ms - based capabilties, then I guess the 700w is what you're looking for.

but for a nice, smooth, true smartphone experience I can only think a palm-based treo ( 650 ) is the way to go.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    or maybe I should say the ev-do based treo 700p, would be the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    or maybe I should say the ev-do based treo 700p, would be the way to go.
    I'm with you based on what I've read so far.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    yeah, from all I've seen, I'm really looking forward to the 700p this year now.
    I concur. Although my local verizon outlet didn't have a floor model (so I was unable to take it for a spin), those crazy 700's were literally flying off the shelf.

As I entered the store, a dude was walking out with one in his hands and there were three people lined up at the counter to purchase theirs. I have NEVER seen this type of movement with any Treo, or anyother phone for that matter.

I know there a a handfull of cute little UI upgrades, but EVDO seems to be the only major. And that is carrier specific. Doesn't do me any good on T-Mo.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    yeah I saw a bunch of people in line for the service activation too - not sure if they were all buying a 700w, but there waa certainly a pretty good line.
    I can definitely see the appeal of ev-do. if you're desiring broadband speeds on a treo RIGHT NOW, than I can understand buying one. but wait until the 700p hits shelves - I think the lines will be every bit as long.
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    thirdly, I do NOT like the way all apps are buried within menu schemes. it feels very convoluted and clumsy during navigation.
    the 700w badly misses the simplistic beauty of palm based treos - the main menu displaying all your applications in however manner you'd like to categorize them. ie placed under categories like: system, utilities, games, etc.

maybe I missed such a menu, if so then I'm wrong. but what I saw looked convoluted - didn't go for it at all.
    It's the OS. WM seems a lot like regular desktop Windoze. You have to go under "Start" then look under "Programs" or "Settings" for what you need. I agree it's a bit cumbersome as compared to Palm OS and I still like Palm better.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    yep. I don't mind windows on my desktop, but on my treo, it's got to be palm os.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    You can buy the enfora wi fi sled for the treo 650. The wi fi sled is limited by the through
    put of the treo and is not much faster than 200 or so kbps.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

One word for ya 'FieldPlus' free and easy.
    The fact that it has a 240x240 screen and that SMS messages don't snap into a chat interface is a deal breaker for me. I like WM5 but I think the 5 way nav needs work as well as the menus etc. Activesync is pretty convenient but it's a bit of a resource hog. Over all I liked the device and if I didnt own a 650 I would probably spring for it. But man no sms chat interface, and it is such a luxury. Oh well...add EVDO and a 1.3 mp camera to my t650 and im happy. Also if you looking for BT DUN from Verizon your in for a dissapointment. Ill stick with my Sprint 10/month unlimited data plan.
    Last edited by scorch968; 01/06/2006 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Grammer Correction
    I hear you with the Sprint Data plan....that is the Number One reason I won't leave them.

But by the time the Treo 700w is offered through Sprint I would VERY surprised if there wasn't a threaded SMS program available and a lot more programs updated to support 240x240 screens.