Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to start a thread on registry edits that you have found to be cool or more important, helpful.

If you are new to editing the registry, there read this first:

PLEASE NOTE: Proceed at your own risk.
    Not to scare you off from having fun with the cool suggestions in this thread, but........Editing the registry can be fatal to your system, requiring a hard reset, if you do something wrong. So, always make sure you have a current backup before you attempt any of these registry edits in this thread.

REGISTRY EDITORS
    Here are two popular resgistry editors. Since I do not yet have a WM05 device, I have not personally confirmed that they have or need to be updated for WM05....please me know what you find:

PHM Registry Editor (Free): http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

MY Personal Favorite and the one I use is the Resco registry editor included in Resco's File Manager.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR REG EDITS & SOFT RESETS IN WM05:
    In WM5 registry changes do not get committed to storage till after a while. This is keep devices from getting even more sluggish. If you soft reset using the reset button it does not commit recent changes at all. If you reset using the various software reset utilities however it will commit your changes to storage. In short, if you reset using the reset button you will keep seeing your changes being undone. (thanks Surur for the great explanation!)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/21/2008 at 05:27 AM.
  2.    #2  
    This works on PPC-6600 with WMO3 and on the 6700 with WM05, so I am not sure it will work Treo 700w as well with VZ. If the 700w comes to Sprint then I don't doubt it will on that phone....

I hated not being able to disconnect Vision whenever I wanted to, minus starting a phone call just to disconnect vision!

The Vision duration registry edit from the 6600 works on the 6700. This edit allows you to see the duration of your Vision connection along with a button to disconnect it. You see it in the bubble that is displayed when you tap the Vision icon.

Click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Click ControlPanel
    Click Phone
    [at this point, the buttom grey status bar should read \HKLM\ControlPanel\Phone'
    Click the bottom menu 'edit'
    Select new dword value

Change the value name to "Flags2" (no quotes).
    Select the 'hexidecimal' button.
    Type 10
    Click ok.
    You should now see in the 'name/data' section:

Flags2 16 (0x00010)

When done, reset the device.

(thanks jglev)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:18 PM.
  3.    #3  
    This works on WM03 devices and have heard from friends that it works on their WM05 devices:

You can change the memory used to cache fonts glyphs, this allow you to use more memory to speed up the display.

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
    You can change the "limit" value :

4096 : this will slow down the display, but use less memory (default setting on Palm-size PC)
    8192 : this is the default value on Pocket PC, average memory/performances
    16384 : this will speed up the display, but use more memory, twice the default Pocket PC value
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:19 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Here is another one that works on WM05 devices, courtesy of rivaldo at the PPCSG.com forums:
    Getting rid of the Message Sent notification for text messaging:

for those who hates the "Message Sent" notification after sending an SMS, this is the steps to remove the Message Sentbubble notification...this is the STEP by STEP method to do it in case some of you guys dont get it right...

1. First, you will need to download a Registry Editor to help you do it...

a good one will be the freeware PHM Registry Editor
    or for those who got the Resco Explorer, you can use the Registry Editor that comes with it...

2. using the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox

3. Next, click on Inbox (make sure the Inbox is highlighted) and select Edit, New Key

4. Name the New Key as "Settings"

5. Click on "Settings" (make sure the Settings is highlighted) and select Edit, New String Value

6. On "Value name:", key in SMSNoSentMsg and in "Value data", key in 1

7. Soft reset your device and test it with one SMS, and you will notice that the SMS Sent bubble is being disabled
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:20 PM.
    I'd recommend for anyone not feeling brave enough to hack these things themselves (although they're straight forward), to google Tweaks2k2 from ctitanic.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    You can change the memory used to cache fonts glyphs, this allow you to use more memory to speed up the display.
    My understanding is that the font glyph hack really helps speed up screen rotation from portait to landscape. Would this really do anything useful on the T700w given that folks are unlikely to rotate the square screen?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  7.    #7  
    It is also reported to help with other things like menu response, etc.... as well. Try each setting out for a day and let us know what you see on the Treo 700w.
  8.    #8  
    I have done this on my PPC and it gave me back 15 mb of memory space! Here are the directions from a 6700 WM05 forum:

The following post is a registry tweak to store the Pocket Internet Explorer data on your Mini-SD card instead of the internal storage. It currently results in a PocketIE error where it crashes and closes immediately after loading a page. Clearing the data using the options in PocketIE solves the problem temporarily.

edit: i just found that, after making these changes, if you go to clear your temporary internet files through pocketIE, it will clear the storage card folders...if you want to clear your windows/profiles folder (which you should, to get all that space back), either do it before making these changes, or do a soft reset and use file explorer to delete the files right afterwards.

ok here's what i've figured out...
    (i suggest backing up your registry before changing anything, as always)

find this key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\

3 values are here:

\Windows\Profiles\Guest\History
    \Windows\Profiles\Guest\Cookies
    \Windows\Profiles\Guest\Temporary Internet Files

Create a folder on your storage card for all three and edit the values above:

I used:

\Storage Card\My Documents\IE\History
    \Storage Card\My Documents\IE\Cookies
    \Storage Card\My Documents\IE\Temporary Internet Files

After doing this, I ran PocketIE and browsed a few websites and it appears that the temporary files are now being stored on my storage card! Let me know how this works for you...

you should be able to clear your Windows\Profiles\Guest folder now...it had been saving my gmail login/pw and when i changed the registry to bounce it to the storage card, it no longer remembered...so it's not using these folders anymore.

My last question would be about the folder \Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 - but that folder, for me, appears to be only taking about 20kb.

good luck...let me know how this works for you guys.

-jeff
    EDIT: there have been reports of this hack eventually causing PIE errors after 1-2 weeks on the 6700. This may be a unique problem with the 6700 and/or it's minicard or it maybe a WM05 issue. I have used this hack for a long time on my WM03 device and have never experienced any problems.

If it works on the 700w, then this could save you tons of room.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:21 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'd recommend for anyone not feeling brave enough to hack these things themselves (although they're straight forward), to google Tweaks2k2 from ctitanic.
    I use this on my WM03 device and love it. But I was afraid to mention this, because I didn't know if it works okay on WM05 or not.

I actually use SPB PocketPC Tips and Tricks for a lot of this stuff too.....but again no confirmation for WM05.
    I use this on my WM03 device and love it. But I was afraid to mention this, because I didn't know if it works okay on WM05 or not.

I actually use SPB PocketPC Tips and Tricks for a lot of this stuff too.....but again no confirmation for WM05.
    It's been WM5 ready (tweaks2k2) for some time now. Another good simple registry hack program that unfortunately is NOT WM5 ready is RegKing.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #11  
    Not really hack, but useful trick if you havn't already figured this one out:

Quote Originally Posted by bhthenn from another forum
    I don't know if anybody has ever posted this, but I thought it was pretty cool. I couldn't find any other way to do this.

I was wanting to use Voice Command to open a specific web site. For example I wanted to say "Open Weather" and it would go straight to my local forecast on www.weather.com.

To do it I:
    1. Opened internet explorer, found my local forecast and saved it as a favorite.
    2. Opened Windows Explorer and copied the internet shortcut I had created from the Windows\Favorites folder and pasted it in the Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.
    3. I renamed the shortcut to "Weather"

I can now use Voice Command to go directly to my forecast. Obiously this could be done with any website I visit on a regular basis (like ORB). I suppose if I create enough my programs folder will look pretty full, but with Voice Command I don't really care so much.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I searched everywhere on this forum and couldn't find anything on creating internet shortcuts.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:21 PM.
  12.    #12  
    This one has pros and Cons to it. The pro is you can access sites that filter and stop PDAs from accessing them. The con is you will not see any PDA optimized sites on the web and pages may not display or work right because it assumes you have full access to java, asp, etc....

"Pocket Internet Explorer Undercover as Internet Explorer 6.0!
    Disguise your version of Pocket Internet Explorer Internet Explorer 6.0 running on Windows XP!

Many web sites that require encryption (such as banks and online retailers) don't verify if your browser support high encryption, they just check the browser version.

This registry hack will make Pocket Internet Explorer identifies itself as Internet Explorer 6.0 running on Windows XP, which may let you connect to web site that check the browser version

NOTE - This hack will prevent web sites that provide Pocket PC specific content to be able to know you're actually using a Pocket PC.

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent \
    Change the default value from "Mozilla/2.0" to "Mozilla/4.0".
    Change the "Version" value from "MSIE 3.02" to "MSIE 6.0".
    Change the "Platform" value from "Windows CE" to "Windows NT 5.1".
    Some web sites may just compare the user agent string, but if this is not enough, browse to the Post Platform\ sub key and delete the "240x320" value that specifies screen size.
    Pocket PC Registry Editors (Free!)
    For a free registry editor for the Pocket PC, take a look at the PHM Registry Editor at http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/, or make life easier and check out Tweaks2k2 (http://www.pc-counselor.8m.com/downloads.htm) - these will carry out the tweaks for you!"
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:22 PM.
  13.    #13  
    A common feature on CDMA WM phones is that if you hold down the end call button, it turns Flight Mode On (which is really a PC way of saying it had turned the radio OFF). Does the 700w also do this?

If so here is a hack that worked WM03 phones and on other WM05 phones:

Quote Originally Posted by www.kmess.com from another forum
    I had frequent problems with the phone turning off unexpectedly. Because of this forum I learned that if you hold down the End Call button (red button) too long after you hang up the phone it will cause the phone to turn off or go into Flight Mode. I did not see anyone post a solution in this thread but I found something similar in another thread. This is what I did....

You must have a registry editor installed on the PPC. I used PHM RegEdit

Go to the registry and change the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> ControlPanel -> PhoneExtendFunction -> CDMA

Change FlightModeSwitchByPnHEndKey to 0

This will prevent the phone from going into Flight Mode if you accidentally press the End Call button for too long.

Note that Flight Mode can still be used by tapping the signal strength meter. (I wish I could disable that too)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:23 PM.
    Keep'em coming! This is some great stuff!
  15.    #15  
    This works on both various WM03 and WM05 devices to turn off the blinking led lights:

Hkey_Local_Machine/Drivers/Builtin/AllLEDMgr

Change the Index value from 1 to 0

Soft reset if needed
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:24 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Here is a follow up the Flight Mode post above:

Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    Not sure if this had been posted. To change the Phone on and off sound since its not a choice in the Sounds program.

Go HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/PhoneExtendedFunction/FlightModeOnOff

Change the directory of the Sound_on and Sound_off to the directory and name of the sound file you want to use.
    You could also use this to Mute it, if you assigned to a silent sound file.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:24 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Save 700K+ of memory by deleting the \Windows\PhoneOff.wav file (almost 800K) and copying \Windows\PhoneOn.wav file (17K) to \Windows\PhoneOff.wav
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:25 PM.
  18.    #18  
    With the 700w screen being so small, try this hack and see if works on the 700.....change the height & width of scroll bars. I like mine a lot smaller then normal because it shows more stuff I want to see and I find it just as easy to navigate.

Navigate to HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE\
    and tweak the following values.
    cyHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars Height in pixels (default is 13)
    cxHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars Width in pixels (default is 20)
    cyVScr : Vertical Scrollbars Height in pixels (default is 20)
    cxVScr : Vertical Scrollbars Width in pixels (default is 13)
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:25 PM.
  19.    #19  
    This works on WM03 devices and have heard from friends that it works on their WM05 devices:

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
    You can change the "limit" value :

4096 : this will slow down the display, but use less memory (default setting on Palm-size PC)
    8192 : this is the default value on Pocket PC, average memory/performances
    16384 : this will speed up the display, but use more memory, twice the default Pocket PC value
    This adds a little bit more to this and includes the Cache:

Boost Windows Mobile 5 performance up to 20 percent
    [HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS] CacheSize = 4096 EnableCache = 1 [HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt] ReplStoreCacheSize = 4096 * Soft reset for changes to take effect. Default values for all keys are 0
    http://www.pocketpctweaks.com/tweak.php?id=36
    Now with the 700w having 32 mb RAM instead of the standard 64 mbs....please post your results so we can nail down what are the best settings for these two for the 700w specifically.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/10/2006 at 06:26 PM.
  20.    #20  
    If you want to explore some more Reg Hacks then this is a good place to browse:

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/

If you find any that work, then post them here!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 06/17/2008 at 09:35 PM.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast