1.    #1  
    How can the battery life on the Treo 700 be the same as on the 650? This dosent make any sense to me.. I thought the Palm platform used much less battery than the Windows? Is this really true?
    I told myself i WOULD NOT buy the 700 UNLESS the battery was equal to my 650.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I think they turned the screen brightness down to help with battery life. Mmight have done some other things as well. Does the 700w have the same batt as the 650? Anyone confirmed it?
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    I think they turned the screen brightness down to help with battery life. Mmight have done some other things as well. Does the 700w have the same batt as the 650? Anyone confirmed it?

Same battery.

At least, based on the fact that the Palm Web site lists the replacement battery for the 700W as 650/700 compatible. Which leads me to believe it is an 1800 mAh, which leads me to believe that the 2200 mAh extended life battery I am using in my 650 would be compatible with the 700, as well.

These are educated guesses on my part.

Cheers, Perry.
    Think about it - Same battery, same processor, same 32 MB ram. No surprise the battery life is the same. I would have thought EVDO would have killed a lot of battery though.

Surur
    The 2200mAh battery from Lion Battery (Mugen Power) has been confirmed by Lion Battery. I will be ordering one shortly.
    700's 240x240 screen probably uses less power than the 650 320x320 screen
    I've not had a Treo since my 600 but my V6600 battery would have croaked in a 3rd of the time I got on my 700w. I can now leave WS push enabled.

I'll probably return my second battery since I don't have a cradle to charge them both at once anyway.

Moderators: The battery threads should be merged. I like the title on this one better:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=103471
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    WM 2003 used more battery life because of the way memory was handled as well as the amount of RAM in the devices. Instead of the tiny 15-25mb of memory in the Treos, most WM 2003 phone devices had at least 64mb, often 128mb of RAM (which has to be powered constantly). In addition, the Treos came with a larger battery than all of them.

I never realized the difference in battery life that RAM would make until I switched from a 64mb I-Mate Jam to a 128mb Jam. My daily use time (using a battery time monitor on the device) dropped by 1-1.5 hours immediately.

WM5 uses the RAM and ROM differently so it allows less power to be used overall, as well as smaller amounts of RAM.

Just so you know, When I put a 2000mah Mugen Power battery in my Jam (128mb) I got well over 10 hours of use on a charge. That means 10 hours of being on and online or on the phone...etc...not just sitting around. With the Treo's 1800mah battery I was getting around 8 hours of similar use so they were pretty comparable in terms of battery life already. The Jam's original battery was only 1200mah, letting it be very small, but giving less battery life.

With my Qtek 9100 I get about 8 hours of total use on a charge easily, often more, but less if I use Wifi heavily. It has a 1250mah battery I believe.
    to add detail to what Silver 5 juat mentioned on the topic of WM5 managing memory differently allowing a much better battery life - there is an interesting article about some benefits of persistent memory on Brighthand;
    - longer battery life
    - potential for more RAM
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Pe...Thing?site=PPC
    I posted a message to same subject yesterday. I can say without hesitation that the 700 battery life is inferior to the 650. Plain and simple.

My estimate is that it holds charge about 60% of the life of the 650 by comparison.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    How can the battery life on the Treo 700 be the same as on the 650? This dosent make any sense to me.. I thought the Palm platform used much less battery than the Windows? Is this really true?
    I told myself i WOULD NOT buy the 700 UNLESS the battery was equal to my 650.
    Hmmm. Everyone else is getting greater battery life. Do you have some things turned on your 700w that you didn't have turned on your Treo 650? I have bluetooth turned off (don't need a my BT headset like I did with my XV6600) and have tweaked the backlight/screen/power off settings when running on battery.

I can't compare with the Treo 650 but I'm getting FAR more battery life than I did with my Treo 600 with the same backlight/screen/power off settings.
    I sort of expected it to be less to be honest with that OS compared to the palm. I always adjust the lighting first thing, along with the system default turn off to the 30 seconds. I tend to heavily use the internet features but then i also did that on the 650 (and the 600).

Now, I have not let it run completely dead or anything because they say (unlike many other phones) to charge this one anytime you can rather than trying to "train" the battery like a lot of the instructions used to say.

But looking at my typical usage and how fast this one goes down, it appears to be measurable in my mind anyway.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Hmmm. Everyone else is getting greater battery life. Do you have some things turned on your 700w that you didn't have turned on your Treo 650? I have bluetooth turned off (don't need a my BT headset like I did with my XV6600) and have tweaked the backlight/screen/power off settings when running on battery.

I can't compare with the Treo 650 but I'm getting FAR more battery life than I did with my Treo 600 with the same backlight/screen/power off settings.
    I post this in the Windows Mobile FAQ thread that might help those wanting to extend their battery life:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    How can I save battery life to make it last longer during the day?
    As with any phone...how long the battery will in a day depends on how you use it. If you are running BT, automatically checking your email every 10 min, with Vision connected so you can constantly browse the net, the screen on full bright, all while talking to your girlfriend for 185 minutes....then Yes the power is going to suck......as it would with ANY PHONE..

Here are some helpful tips:
    • Have a car charger and top it off while picking up lunch mid-day.
    • Have a spare wall charger at work to plug in when convenient or necessary.
    • Have at least one spare battery on had....and charged. Since I travel a lot I actually have 4 spare batteries.
    • Turn off IR. Turn off BT when not using it.
    • Reduce the frequency of all programs that connect to data plan to download information. For example donít update your Weather program every hour, but instead just once a day.
    • Turn the screen brightness down. I usually always keep mine one notch above off.
    question with the 50 battery should i charge it everynight even though it is at 50% or evn 60-70%?

Thanks in advance